The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Control card to top? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I completely disagree with Josh (Both of them, even me) We should not seem like magicians! We shouldn't even touch the cards. We should just use magic.

Honestly why can't you guys understand this.....

Do Hindu's use the double undercut? I think they would prefer the pass, they just seem like that kind of people.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Go to bed Josh! Save some beer for the morning.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
No! Actually I'm not allowed to drink on work nights..... But tomorrow, WooHoo.

Try using real magic though.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Oh, alright. I'll work on it.

Change my recommendation to "real magic card control".
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 21:57, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
I was referring to the diagram group's atrocity as well.

They should be called the "Diaphragm Group" because they actually PREVENT good magic. Get it? Diaphragm? Because a diaphragm is a contraceptive, a preventitive if you will...

Allright, forget it.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
FRIDAY

Anyhoo, I think abstinence is the better option, however less fun.

So that I don't become "That guy" who says mostly irrelevant things, I don't use the Hindu Shuffle as a control because I never use it otherwise. I use a very simple in jog, cut to the in jog, shuffle the remaining cards overhand fashion behind the bottom packet, which just so happens to have the card on top..... Usually I do a false cut and fair riffle shuffle (As long as the top card remains top). however this isn't even needed, I just like to do it.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 21:57, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
I was referring to the diagram group's atrocity as well. Their web site makes them appear to be a book writing factory.

Yah - that's the one I've got! Thanks for the heads up on the card stuff - I would never have known the difference!

Quote:
The Hindu and overhand shuffles are both used as legitimate shuffles. They both make sense to the spectator.

Ortiz points out that the real question is what comes next. The hindu supposedly leaves the card lost in the center. The overhand supposedly mixes it somewhere in the deck. If the card appears in an impossible location (outside the deck), perhaps it's better that it was last seen lost in the middle. If the card appears during a deal, at a point stopped by a spectator, perhaps it's better if it was randomly mixed.

As for what comes next, the deck will be tabled and spread out "haphazardly" (with the top card controlled, which is why I needed the returned card on top) - the chosen card will be found from this pile.

I tried the Hindu shuffle over the weekend, and found that I needed to smooth out grabbing the bottom portion (with the force card on top) to complete the move. Unless I'm doing it wrong, that is.

Actually, I realized as I was practicing that a riffle shuffle works great for me. The deck is cut, the card placed on top of one pile, and the piles shuffled with the one card controlled to the top. Does that work as "naturally" as the Hindu, in your opinions?

Ed
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Actually, I realized as I was practicing that a riffle shuffle works great for me. The deck is cut, the card placed on top of one pile, and the piles shuffled with the one card controlled to the top. Does that work as "naturally" as the Hindu, in your opinions?

Ed

Merely cutting the deck, placing the selection on top of half the cards then riffle shuffling the other half into it is not very deceptive. My suggestion is to properly learn how to control a selected card to the top of the deck before riffle shuffling and retainng the chosen card on the top of the deck. You must convince the spec that his card is hopelessly lost in the deck before you reveal it.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZ4KaRdZ>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A tip on the Hindu Shuffle.
On the 'pick-up', there will often be a visible gap at the break if it's too wide.
Keep the break small and watch your angles.
I make sure that the break is only on the thumb side and my fingers are towards the specatators.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Okay - I'll keep working the Hindu. Thanks for all the input.

Ed
kroberge
View Profile
New user
Old Town, Maine
75 Posts

Profile of kroberge
I've been practicing the overhand control for about two weeks and am still doing it. I reckon that in another couple weeks I'll be ready to look into my wife's eyes and control the position of my card. I like noting the top card of my deck when I sit down to watch TV, then I control to bottom, keep there, control to top, control top and bottom cards in place, hold an injog above the former top card, return it to top, etc. I glance down periodically to make sure I haven't lost my card and I get to watch a little TV after a long day. Its given me a way to get in hours of practice. RRTCM makes a constant point of telling the reader that they should be able to do this without staring at their hands. So, what better distraction than TV?

Best of luck with whatever shuffle you choose!

Kevin
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Ed, just a heads-up. I don't think you're allowed to wear that hat if you don't know the overhand shuffle controls. You're just spoiling it for all the other hat acts.

(I kid.)
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Good luck Ed . . . and keep the hat.

Andy
Cards never lie
ilusionista
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of ilusionista
Without the hat the vest would just be totally out of place!!

:)
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Actually, I had to toss the hat in the photo. I did manage to find another one close enough to it to be a twin. The downside is that it's reversible, with the other side being red with huge white polka dots. So when I wear it now, the bottom of the brim is the red with white dots, rather than the colored squares. But with wire in the edge of the brim, they're hard to wash, and after some 4 and 6 hour gigs twisting balloons, the hat definitely needs washing!

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Control card to top? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL