The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The $60,000.00 escape!!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5331 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Here is an interesting news article from Florida, USA. This hit’s the Escape Artist two places it hurts the most, the pocket book and the venue! Banned from the venue will cost him almost as much as the fine! Double ouch!! Ah but I think that he may have gotten over $60K worth of free publicity! Remember the immortal P. T. Barnum said that “bad publicity was better than no publicity at all!”

Escape Artist Fined $60,000 For Houdini Homage

POSTED: 7:32 am EST January 10, 2007 KEY WEST, Fla. --

An escape artist whose dive into the choppy waters of Key West Harbor prompted a two-day search-and-rescue mission now has to watch his money disappear.

A Key West judge Tuesday ordered Michael Patrick, who performs as "Patrick
the Escape Artist," to pay $60,000 restitution for a massive search following
his October 31, 2006 back-flip into Key West Harbor. Police found him the next day at a Key West house with his girlfriend,planning, they told The Miami Herald, a "big ta-da."

The judge found Patrick, who has already served 60-days in jail, guilty of
culpable negligence.

Patrick has performed his escape act for the past 15 years at Mallory Square's Sunset Celebration. On Halloween, he back-flipped into the waters. Several audience members dived in when he didn't immediately resurface. Patrick is now banned from performing at the Sunset Celebration.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Now that's funny!

All be it in quite a twisted way, but still I couldn't help but laugh.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
That was a truly horrible plan on the part of this individual. Yes there is much publicity and that's the plus side for him but still....only a year later when the press kit bio re-states the affair in show biz terms will it be of real value in getting folks to hire him.
Yowsa!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
You know, I have been trying to figure out whether this guy is an idiot, or a genius. Possibly a bit of both.

I don't like the fact that people ended up jumping in to help him, they could have ended up drowned themselves in the process. People could have needed help which wasn't available because the search and rescue were out looking for him. There are a bunch of stupid things going on here!

If he had set this up right, then, he would have been a genius. Right now though, I think he deserves what he got.
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
He planned badly. He got a big slap on the wrist. He got himself banned from his main venue, which deprives him of future income, including what he needs to pay his fine.

Potential buyers will look at this, and say "Oh, gee, do I want to hire this guy? Uhhh, no!".

So, was his escape successful? Not really. He just didn't drown in the water.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The only mistake was not following up with a jailbreak. I mean, what kind of escape artist sits in jail for 60 days?

Yours,

Paul
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I wonder if they cuffed him, on the way to jail?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If he had drowned the publicity would have been fantastic and he would have saved himself the 60 grand!!
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
What he should have done was to be "found nearly dead" 1/4 of a mile away an hour later. That would have been great press.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The $60,000.00 escape!!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL