The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » New "view" on an old show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Hi everyone

I have a show saturday night which will be a little different that my usual. It's an adult bithday party for about 60 people, combination strolling and stand-up. The routines have been performed 100's of times under "battle conditions" and I've done more shows than I can remember.

So what makes this one so different? It will be my first public performance since I lost most of my eyesight. Due to eye disease I am legally blind in both eyes ( I know how to type without looking and I have a magnifier for the monitor, for those who were wondering ), I can't see well enough to drive but I don't think I'll bump into any tables while strolling!

To prepare for the event I have been rehearsing everything, Close-up routines, stand-up show and packing, in the dark and I can litereally do it blind-folded!Even with all the prep work I think I am more nervous then that first show sooo many years ago!

I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!!

Darrell
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Wow. I admire you.
When is the event?

Best wishes!

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Good luck Darrell...based on what you said above you're all set and ready to go AND will do fine. I've found that even approaching a gig nervous, or REAL nervous because of some different outlying condition...once you start performing, it all goes out the window. I'm excited to hear how it goes.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
All the very best Daryl!

My Prediction:It will be a great performance,and you will be looking forward to your next one.

Rich
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Absolutely amazing! I'm sure you're going to do a great job. Please give us a review after the show.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Wow, I got to give you credit. You are an inspiration. Other people might have given up and just faded away. Best of luck.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Take no prisoners... and best to you.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-01-11 12:22, nucinud wrote:
Other people might have given up and just faded away.

I was heading down that path of darkness & depression. (To be honest, I still struggle with it) My wife made me realize I had 2 choices.

1) VICTIM - Feel sorry for myself (The "Why Me" Syndrome) and give up.

2) SURVIVOR - Push forward and don't accept defeat.

My show this weekend will be a step in the right direction I'm certain, but I sure am nervous. Thanks for all the support and the opportunity to talk about it.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I altered the lyrics a little but:

10% luck
20% skill
70% concentrated power of will

-Fort Minor "Remember the Name"

Awesome and legitimate creed to live by.
FredrikS
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of FredrikS
Darrell.
You inspired me!
You will do great.

The best of luck!

Fredrik
"Fly me to the moon"
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

THE SHOW WAS A SMASH HIT!!! Every joke, effect, routine ect, went flawlessly and was very well received. All the practicing in the dark really paid off ( I highly reccomend it ). It gave me total control of my show and I never felt like I had to look at anything but my audience. I booked another show on the spot and actually had aline of people waiting to talk to me and get a business card ( I didn't get THAT kind of reaction when I could see what I was doing ), THANKS for all the support everyone. I'M BACK!!

Darrell
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Congrats Daryl - I had no doubts:) I knew you'd do great...70% concentrated power of will:) Well done sir, I salute you!
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I am soooo happy your first new venture was a success Daryl!

There used to be a totally blind magician in this area
who was mainly a street magic performer,
he was a competent entertainer and a hit with the tourists.
So it can be done and done with pride and skill.

Let this success be the first step to many more wonderful experiences.

Thank you for sharing part of your arduous journey with the Café.

Magically,
Walt
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Great to hear Daryl!

best wishes for a great future.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Wow that is totally awesome, I applaude your desire, brevity & will.
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Quote:
On 2007-01-14 13:48, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
THE SHOW WAS A SMASH HIT!!! Every joke, effect, routine ect, went flawlessly and was very well received. All the practicing in the dark really paid off ( I highly recommend it ). It gave me total control of my show and I never felt like I had to look at anything but my audience. I booked another show on the spot and actually had aline of people waiting to talk to me and get a business card ( I didn't get THAT kind of reaction when I could see what I was doing ), THANKS for all the support everyone. I'M BACK!!

That is amazing, Daryl you have inspired a lot of people here on the Café. Your practicing in the dark is something that I would recommend to anyone, in fact when I was learning my dove act(don't do doves anymore)My teacher would wake me up at 3 AM and make me do my act from a deep sleep and do it blindfolded. It really helps and your on the right track, nothing wrong with taking a handicap(if you want to call it that) and turn it into a very positive thing. In fact you might come up with some original magic and be different if you work on it because of this. Great work and keep up the spirits!

Darrell
NIghtangel
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of NIghtangel
Wow what a true magician. I really admire you for sticking with magic. thank you very much
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » New "view" on an old show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL