The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Need price quote to include travel fee (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I promised to give a client an answer by tomorrow and would greatly appreciate a straight-forward answer to this question.

What is a resonable per/hour travel fee for driving outside your local performing area? I just need a ballpark figure, nothing exact.

Thanks,
Mike

(please feel feel free to pm me on this, thanks)
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I just charge them the cost of my travel and expences. I don't charge for travel time. I also don't charge for 1st class, I travel cheapest class and that's what the client pays.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Ditto...
Each area has a set rate for $ per mile that it costs to use a veicle. It is usually around $0.32 per mile.
Calculate off of that.
Gwyd
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
720 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
I think with gas prices the way they are, .45- .50/mile would be a fair figure.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Here is some info:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
The IRS mileage allowance is determined on a per mile basis. Essentially, you get to multiply each business mile by a monetary figure, total them up and deduct that amount. You will need to report the mileage figure on your vehicle at the beginning of the year and end of the year as well as the number of miles you drove for non-business matters. You will also need to keep a diary or journal of your mileage. It should indicate where you went, what for and the miles driven. You may need to produce this if the IRS audits you, so keep it in a safe place.

The following IRS mileage allowances are for miles driven during the time period:

2004: 37.5 cents per mile
2005: January through August – 40.5 cents per mile
2005: September through December – 48.5 cents per mile.
2006: 44.5 cents, but may change as gas prices change during the year.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

This should help to figure out a fair way to calculate a fee that is right for YOU... use it or not it is at-least a guideline and ideas as to may come up with a fair fee for all parties involved.

Too, by figuring YOUR OWN cost per mile will be of incredible value to figure in... each CAR is different, each AREA is different, heck, with the price of gas going all over the place, each DAY is different, (Hehehehe!) but this should get you started based on YOUR OWN REAL SITUATION (Instead of GUESSING) so as not to do this with-out the proper insight and information for YOU and your specific situation.

Hope that helps...

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano In Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Thanks for putting up the real numbers Deano...I (Obviously) havent looked them up for quite a while.
gwyd
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1085 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I charge 50 cents a mile.

When flying out of town, add airfare, rental car (if needed) and $150 per day for expenses.
(hotel, meals, parking, tips, etc)

I would rather do the "per diem" thing than try to save a ton of receipts and then bill them later. I like to get the expense money before the show, rather than have that be the last thing they remember.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Success!
Added $250 to my regular fee and booked the show. (150 miles)

Thanks to everyone here for the guidance.

Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Corporate clients often already have a company SOP on the topic.

I actually like for the client to furnish the travel whenever possible. They get better deals than we do! Usually the facilities are nicer than you would have if you tried to save them money too. (Usually you can't save them money!)

Anytime travel takes more than four hours, charging for time is reasonably acceptable.

Remember that professional talent buyers are working from a budget. They don't budget talent plus expenses. There is simply a budget "For Talent". My experience has been that when you level with them (corporate clientele) about the problem, they also level with you.

Work toward a solution rather than playing a new game. Repeat contracts are always the better deal than getting a free meal.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
Dean,

That really helped me alot! I am finally starting to book more shows outside of my area, so I think this will help with the pricing.

When I calculated my figures now my price comes to come about $20 cheaper in one senario today. I have not given the potential client this price yet. I would still booked the show if it was left alone I am sure. My prices are not cheap, neither is my show, yet I do live in South, Texas...everything is far away here. What do you suggest on that part? I know $20 isn't that much. Should I charge the older price...or the .50 cents per mile and loss $20.

Thanks,
John O'Bryant
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Need price quote to include travel fee (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL