The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Airclick problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I just got the airclick (Actually, I got TWO). Unfortunately, I'm disappointed. A lot of the time the remote doesn't take instructions. I press the key and nothing happens. Press it a few more times and then it works. Its like you have to press it just so. This is unacceptable for a performing situation. Anybody else have this problem?
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Yes.

RemoteRemote2 and iJet have always worked for me, though. I've never used AirClick in a performance because of its wonky behavior.

I know there's a Griffin person on the Café who'll probably want to hear what the exact problems were, but truthfully I just wasn't interested in running extensive tests. The first time it started acting up, I put it aside and went with the others. They've both worked well enough, with the iJet showing a bit more range in testing (I never trigger too far from the unit anyway, so range doesn't matter much).

BTW, I used both the RemoteRemote2 and the iJet at once. I have two iPods with identical playlists, in case one fails. So far, I've never had to use the backup.

Jim Kawashima
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Like jim I can't speak for the actual airclick but my Ijet works just fine and I have cued from as far away as 150 feet It sounds though as if your ipod is going into sleep mode between cues. check this forum for the 20 minutes of silence track. it is loaded between tracks to fill in the dead time that would normally send the Ipod into sleep mode that takes two or three clicks to rectify and can throw your playlist out of sequence.
Believe you then that I do strange things
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I don't think the iPod is going to sleep, I think the AirClick just doesn't work as reliably as we need for performing. I have an AirClick that works with my PC, and have seen the same behavior - sometimes the button presses don't work.

Let's face it, these are all inexpensive electronic devices and the fact that the iJet works reliably for a performance environment is great, but it's not designed for that specific circumstance.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Darn.

The Ijet sounded better because of the longer range. But I got the airclick instead based on this board.

Anyway, they're not expensive.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Well, you get what you pay for.

Steve
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Dude,

I would try the Ijet, based on user reviews and testing from several people they are more reliable.

http://www.abtech2.com/

I would buy the one without the lcd screen.

Just beware that the 2-way remote with lcd goes to sleep to conserve battery life. It requires a key press and a few second pause to get it going again. If you could life with that, go for it.

G0THIKE
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
So the ijet remote without the lcd screen does not go to sleep? (Because I couldn't live with that.) Thanks.

Do these other remotes work with the other non-apple mp3 players? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
My airclick started not working....get a new battery!. I believe that some of these spend a few years waiting to be sold and you don't know how long the battery has been in it. I replaced the battery and it works fine.

Hope this helps.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2007-02-03 20:46, drosenbe0813 wrote:
My airclick started not working....get a new battery!. I believe that some of these spend a few years waiting to be sold and you don't know how long the battery has been in it. I replaced the battery and it works fine.

Hope this helps.

I'm going to try changing the battery tomorrow. I've got a big show at City Hall on Monday, and in the process of preparing for it. Today I did a trial run with some new music/effects I've been working on. It was a birthday party for a 10 year old girl. The Airclick refused to work over and over, and it was really embarrassing! Especially since the show was being videotaped. I had to keep going to the ipod to change songs.

When I got home, I started playing with the system to find out where the problem was. When the Airclick remote is facing the ipod, it works fine. But the moment my body blocks the signal of the Airclick from the Ipod, it doesn't work. This has happened a few times, but never on the large scale it did today.

If the battery change doesn't work, I'm looking into another remote.

Brian
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
One thing I've found is that when you're traveling to the show and in between shows, switch the "hold" slider on. this seems to make the battery last longer.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
After putting in a new battery, I still wasn't happy. For several songs, I'd have to push the forward button a couple of times before it would take.

So I went out to purchase the iJet. Couldn't find one. Ended up purchasing a Scosche remote for iPods, with a wrist attachment. I ended up using this for the big show (700 people in attendance), and it worked good except for the last song. I had to press it about three times before the song started. When you've got that many people, and the tv cameras are filming, you can't afford to have even song cue messed up.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for an iJet.

Brian
magicmonty
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
118 Posts

Profile of magicmonty
I am having a similar problem with a "Gear4 RF remote" for the ipod nano . I am on my second unit after a replacement and it has now failed me the same as the first . The receiver just stops receiving for no reason!!!, I look after all my stuff and treat these units very well!!!.
I did a show the other day and also had to double press the Hand control to get to the next track ,Sometimes it even skipped that song and went to the next . So today I was rigging it up onto my backdrop so that I could watch the screen to see how it behaved , how far away I could stand and if I had my back to it , was it still getting the signal ok!!.
I also found on the ipod that you can change the backlight option , so as it does not switch itself off (Sleep Mode). This will however drain your battery faster , but the Nano should last upto 8hrs anyway . I was all set after a few adjustments to trial my new setup and guess what...it stopped working!!.
John .
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Peeps,

I would restart the IPOD to clear the buffer before hooking up the remote control. Its like flushing your toilet, you have to get the sh#t out or else it floods.

If that helps any, please let us know.

G0THIKE
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I have an iJet Remote for my iPod Video. You just have to get the knack of pushing the button for the right length of time.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
The airClick served me well for a few years, but I'm out! After having distance/frequency problems at the last couple shows (with a fresh battery, no less), I decided to make the jump to the iCue from Virtual Soundman. It arrives this week!
Arepsi
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
146 Posts

Profile of Arepsi
For all Airclick users!!!

I've also the airclick and these same problems. I thought it was a problem with antenna, but no. You have to open the remote control lid and take off the battery. Then gently adjust those two fork style pins down, so that way the small battery will be more firmly connected to the chip. So there needs to be more pressure between minus and plus.

I hope this helps to all Airclick users.

I've my receiver now with hole on it Smile

Just my 2 Euros.
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
BUY AN ICUE! End of story...
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Could not agree more. I tried the Airclick with the Performer system. Hated it. iCue2 is the way to go!

Steve
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Has anyone seen the new iron man watch from timex than controls the ipod? Any reviews?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Airclick problems (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL