The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Review of an amp (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
I just got a amplifier made by "First Act" and it works great!

I totally recommend this amplifier for anyone on a VERY VERY VERY low budget. I use a mic made by "Philips" with it and it works great for a crowd of about 10-30 people. It would'nt be a good investment if you perform for medium sized crowds or more, pretty much just for little birthday parties and small crowds specifically for street magic.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
While building my own portable system. I picked up something called FIRST ACT which is sold in the front of many Wal-marts.

They have several options and a GENEROUS return policy. GO ON- TEST THEM OUT- ENJOY! Just be cool and don't abuse, scratch them or blow them. Bring it to the show try it and see how it works. If it does not, do something you can not do in most music stores- RETURN IT! That is there policy so take advantage bargain seekers. It is the way we wish all stores would be. As I said, just do not abuse it by using it for 89 days and then return it. Use it one or two shows and see if it is loud enough. Just remember another fellow magician might be picking up the same box you tested and how would you feel if you opened up a box and found a beat up unit.

10 Watt unit $60
I first tried the 10 Watt unit that has a single 6.5" full range speaker. This is an A/C unit with gain button, tone, bass and mid levels. 1/4"- Audio in, phones out and front audio input. It is a nice looking vinyl unit with front grill and front controls. The plastic FIRST ACT logo and whit boarder cheapens the look.
There is a vented port in the back and the construction is particle board I think.

It is small and light and in tests "Did the Job" for 50 people. It worked at Birthdays, Elks Club and restaurants. It is something to use in a pinch if your system dies on on the road and your venu is not super large.

I am not saying it is the greatest or loudest but adequate for PA use.
One complaint was that I tried both a tape player and a CD player in the audio in. I had enough preamp coming from the tape player but from the portable CD player it was too weak to turn it up and the wireless up all at the same time. IN other words I did not get the volume I needed from the music since I choose the mic. Since the tape worked fine I assume it was the weaker head phone signal from the player. Some brands will be better than others. The other distraction is a bright blue LED which shows the power is on. This could be distraction to people in eye shot of it. A piece of dark tape would fix that.
The interior is simple and does not have any bells and whistles like padding.

15 watt bass guitar version $89.95

This uses an 8.5" full range and has a wide vent on the bottom which is also used for cord storage. It is only slightly louder and did not help with CD preamp issue I had. As I stated with the 10 watt version, the earphone out on my small tape player works great but on the CD player head phone out the amp can only take the signal so far even when turned up. One idea would be to re sample the cut a special CD with higher DB levels to use with this unit. It might work.

The also have a two channel version that might be interesting for some but if they use the same technology, might not help with the line-in you are using if it puts out a low signal/

My mic works fine but I think for a larger group you still might have to crank the volume up all the way.

What you might know is that the watt rating is only a small indication of how loud the unit is. It all comes down to the efficiency of the speaker to really know if a system is loud. You can have a 10” in a 20 watt rated system and an 8” in a 15 watt and if the 8” is more efficient, it can be louder than one with the higher rating.

These will get the job done on the low cost endin a pinch. AND go to ebay and buy one of the wireless single channel mics for $12.50 and you have a low cost system that will work in any area that does not have allot of cross traffic.
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
I bought there 5 watt amp at Walmart and works great! Probably only good for up to 20 people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Review of an amp (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL