The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2007 entrée: Michael Close » » Yet another music question » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I often get asked if being a pianist "makes it easier to do magic," what with finger dexterity and all. My personal experience is that it doesn't help a bit as far as the mechanics go, but it did help with some of the more esoteric performance concepts like tension and release, pacing, etc. What's your take on it?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
I think the two things that transfer most between music and magic are:

1) An understanding and a feel for the inherent rhythm of a magic routine.

2) An understanding of what practice entails.

I used to do a joke that a musician will look at a new piece of music, analyze it, and decide that it will take 150 hours of practice before it is anywhere never performance level. If a magician looks at a trick and decides that it will take 150 hours to master, he'll pick a different trick.

Close
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2007 entrée: Michael Close » » Yet another music question » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL