The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Honest opinions please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Ok I'm new here on the Café. I mostly do Coins and Cards. I have been at it for three years now. I'm a member at MVD to and I get a lot of nice comments are they true I don't know. I have notice some big names in this forum. So I figured what the ****, why don't I get some opinions from you all. So if you have the time please take a look at some of my coin video and let me know what you think.
Of course you don't have to watch them all...lol
Thanks in advance.
Tim
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=10131
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=10446
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=10445
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=10443
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=10395
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=10226

P.S. The first video is a "Coins Thru Table" that I came up with. I asked the Godfather Vinny if he has ever seen it done this way and he said no. If you have, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due.
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I really liked the last two the best.
I also like the production of the coins at the start of the matrix.

There were a couple of times when I saw things I shouldn't have such as a flash during Seeing Green. Still, much better than I can do at this point.

Jim
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Ah ah ah... 'Half dollars, fifty-cent pieces, silver coins, watch!'...

Well done Feher, and thanks a lot for sharing.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I'm very impressed. Nice routines, very well done. I'm no expert, but I know what looks good, and they all looked good, especially that last one, pure magic!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Tim excellent handling on any forum ......
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I really enjoyed the coins through the table -beautiful routine!
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Thanks gentlemen, I'm glad you liked it.
phedonbilek
Your thinking Roth righ? There is a long story about why I say this. But all I'm going to say I should never have bought videos when I first started into magic. Lucky for me Roth was the only Videos I bought for a long time other wise you might see other performer styles in me. Let just say I'm a big book guy now and I tell all beginners to buy books first so they can learn the moves and routine in there own style. I hope you know what I mean...I'm babaling.
Mr. Rubinstein
I'm glad you liked the coins thru table from what you seen have you seen or done it that way before??? I also have a stand-up version of that effect its not as fair looking but it works almost on the same principle.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Tim, nice job on all the effects. Lots of Roth influence I can see. You perform them very well.

Regarding your question about the Coins through the table, I personally have not seen that exact handling before. I like it, it is very clean and direct.

I have seen coins through the table where the coins drop into a glass for example, David Regal's routine "Clearly Impossible" which can be found on Steven's Magic "Coin Classics" Vol. 1.

I am also pretty sure Dean Dill has a coins through the table where the coins drop into a glass on video as well, but the citation escapes me right now...

Again, nice job on the routines!
Click to visit:
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Dean does in fact, its the one I use... its on extrme dean vol 2. its call coins through table =D
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Dan & Joshua
Thanks for taking the time to view my vids and leaveing a comment.
As for the coins thru table I know the glass part has been done but I don't think the method has.......
Thanks again
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Very good Tim. Like the Godfather said earlier here, you're pretty good on any forum. Again, welcome to the Café. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
Tim, I can't add anything that hasn't already been said regarding your handling - it's just great.

But, you said, "Lucky for me Roth was the only Videos I bought for a long time other wise you might see other performer styles in me. Let just say I'm a big book guy now and I tell all beginners to buy books first so they can learn the moves and routine in there own style." I gotta tell you Tim, for me your patter was so much like many of the coin videos that I own, I felt like their influence was overwhelming. My suggestion would be to record your routines (audio only) and really listen to what you're saying. And, then after you realize that you sound like everyone else, discard everything. The routines are fine, it's just that when you describe every action you're taking, I felt like I was mentally challenged. Personally, when I see someone put down four coins or cards, I don't need someone describing that to me, because I can easily realize that and I think most other spectators could too. Those kinds of micro descriptions kill the magic for me.

If you could really divorce yourself from what many are doing (and saying) on the many professional videos available today, you could have something unique. The routines that you are doing today could be fantastic if you can truly make them you in every way. You have a big chunk of marble right now - begin chipping away at it to find out what's inside, but, be careful how you chip. Good luck.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Tim - as good as your handlings are, I would be remiss if I didn't compliment you for your presentations as well. You have some excellent patter sprinkled throughout your routines which makes them more interesting and enjoyable. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Profile of morgandollarman
Hi tim I have seen you on mvd and I think you got some really good ideas and I like the way you perform ,always enjoyed your stuff keeep it up can't say much more as it has already been said.

good luck

shaun
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
While it's always nice to be totally unique in your presentations, most if not all laymen have never SEEN or HEARD David Roth, or any other professional magician whom you might be doin their routine. It's one thing for a professional magician to be very similiar to another magician, but for the people who just do magic as a hobby, no matter how big or small, there is a certain comfort performing a routine the same as the magician you admire. Some things just don't need to be fixed, and if you add little bits of yourself, that's great, but to the layperson (whom the average magic hobbist performs for) the performance can be heightened, and the magician probably will feel more comfortable and confident if they don't have to worry about "oh geez, he uses this line, I guess I have to change it..." That's just my opinion. I started learning from books many years ago, and when I got back into magic, I perfered videos due to the fact that it's a much quicker learning process, and personally think they have improved my magic in more ways than any book could have in such a short amount of time. But I am in no way a professional magician, nor do I plan to be. But I do take all my hobbies seriously, especially magic. I've realized beginners and non pro magicians get a lot of heat for copying routines. I don't agree, but do understand where this "heat" comes from. I've noticed the more videos you have watched, the more magicians you have seen, the more versatile you become, and believe this really helps to build your own persona, but ofcourse biting off little bits from this person and the next. I have seen some really good routines that have been pretty much word for word, but never has it taken away from what the people around me has seen, unless ofcourse the "impersonation" is terrible, or totally doesn't fit your character. Remember, there are a lot more hobbist than working pros out there, and most people have hardly seen live magic, if ever.
-Stevie D
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Thanks everyone again!!!
Dan Magyari
I am in the process to change the way I talk but boy its very hard. I know you say you see other pro's styles and you might me right but I don't know who....As you can tell I have a lot of Roth style when it come to patter on his effect. I have tried to say different words or phrases but boy it just screws me all up with timeing and paece. My goal this year is to try to cut down on this. Also cut down on the obvious (telling the spectator what I'm doing word for word). I really want to take my magic up a notch and become my own. Now when it comes to card routines I have my own style I think but I do talk to much and say the obvious. I'm working on fixing this Thanks for taking the time to write such a lengthy comment.
Dxsare
Thank you for taking the time also to write your feelings. I do agree with you about the layperson not knowing the difference. I am a hobbiest at magic but at the same time I would like to make a name for myself. So in order to do this I have to change the way I present then I guess that's what I have to do....lol
This will come in time though and it will never be totally gone but if I could cut back on it some I will....geez I'm starting to babble.
Thanks again
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Tim,
I do like your handling of these effects. It's apparent that you've put some time into study and practice...and it's paid off! But, I don't think you made this post for the validation of other magi. You were looking for constructive criticism.

I do agree that the patter became repetitive, but I was also watching several routines back-to-back--which might be the reason for this impression.

Also, the Triple Change effect confused me at the end. I thought the climax was the 'triple change' (I like that framing) of the coins. But, then there's another little bit of vanishing the half into the box. You followed a climax with a weaker effect. Now, as a magician, I understand the reasoning for the move, but as a spectator, I don't get it. It dilutes the power of the climax.

I hope you don't find these critiques 'nit-picky', but you've worked too hard on the technicals not to get every bit of impact out of your performance.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Great discussion about the patter. It could be improved, yes, but overall I think its better than 95% of the vids I've seen lately. I wouldn't worry too much about the "descriptive" type patter, if done properly, it will only help to solidify what is happening in the spect's mind. As to more original lines, they'll come with time.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I watched everything Tim and I was quite impressed. I think you did an excellent job and your handling was superb in all of the videos. My favorites were the first video, coin through the table and the last one you called chink-a-chink. Personally I am not a big fan of matrix type effects, no particular reason mind you, it is just that I like apples more than oranges, however, your handling in the last video I thought was great despite myself.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
I must say it was great. I love seeing your routines. I liked them all.

Keep it up.
Pablo
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Honest opinions please (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL