The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hopping Halves (& its Sun/Moon Coin) Coin Set Variety??? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I have this wonderful set (Johnson's) for a decade and a half now and love it to death. I do the "2 coin trick" with it ending with no coins in the hand. I think everyone is familiar with this trick. People are totally blown away and think my sleight of hand skills are of a supernatural power, considering how slow and fair I do the effect.

My question is this:

Is there any DVD or book that at least devotes a chapter or 2 on this particular set solely?? I would like to see other effects that people use this set.

I know the numerous ways to use the shells, but I mean other possibilities using the whole set, other than the "2 coin trick" effect?
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
I've seen magicians performing variations on the hopping half routine, some just changing the patter, and some utilizing the gimmicks in different ways. David Neighbors has some really good handlings for that set, and uses a rattle gimmick to enhance the effect. He also starts the routine being able to show just two coins that can be handed out befor the routine begins. I'm sure others will post where you can find other routines. The Sun and Moon coin itself can be used for some clever routine. There is a routine in Bobo's and I believe Mike Wild has some clever used for the sun and moon set in his Tavern Magic series.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
kardillusions
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, AB
544 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
There's a sun and moon routine on the Coinvention dvd that's just wonderful... I believe it's Klause's routine, although I might be wrong- my memory sucks lately...

Scott.
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Instagram: @hermitmagicmag
Subscribe today!
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Indeed - Roger Klause's Sol et Lune, a thing of beauty. However, there's a component of the routine that won't work too well with the gaff from the HH set...
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
That's right rutabaga! I had to mix my sun and moon with a component of nmy HH to do Sol et Lune. Roger Klause does it so beautifuly! I once tried to shave a silver half just to accomodate that component you mentioned ,,, but failed miserably. The best is to get a set from one of the better coingaff makers. I believe Lance deLong made Roger's set.

Rannie

Can anybody tell me how to get in touch with Lance? His site has been stagnant for sometime now. Does he have a new site???
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Can someone help me here.

There was another thread on the Sun and Moon set. My set says Sun and Moon on the package. The routine supplied is Hopping Halves. I do this routine now with ungimmicked coins.

I saw the Sun and Moon routine (which I was unfamilure with) posted on YouTube I believe by Jason England where a copper and silver coin change places by slowly pushing the coins into view simulating a Sun/Moon rising. Now I know where the title "Sun and Moon" comes from for this trick.

My question...is this set of gimmicked coins refered to as both "Sun and Moon" and "Hopping Halves" set. Keep in mind the package my set came in says "Sun and Moon...but the routine supplied is for "Hopping Halves. Its just confusing to me.

Rich B.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Rich,

If your set includes an expanded english penny [ to fit over the unexpanded english penny [ (and also then the C/S coin), then you most likely have a regular Hopping Half set.

Hope that helps. PM me if you need more clarity...
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Gang,
And Thanks Stevie! The routine he is talking about is in my Sound Routines Book! ( P.M. me for more info!) I also have some stuff with a sun and moon coin!

Best David Neighbors
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Rutabaga, Thanks for the response. My set does include expanded penny [ over reg penney [ over coper/silver.

I guess it is Hopping Halves. So they are 2 differnt sets. What coin/gimmick is needed to add to the traditional Hopping Halves set to be able to perform Sun and Moon?

Thanks,

Rich B.
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
As Rannie has mentioned above, you'll need a shaved half to fit the unexpanded penny [.
waianaeboy702
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of waianaeboy702
Who makes the best set?
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Todd Schoolcraft! Smile

Sorry, that's just a joke. Everybody knows Jamie Lassen makes the best gaffs.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Check with Mike Wild here on our forum. He is is very well-acquainted with the Sun & Moon coins, absolutely loves them and has actually put out a lot of very good work using the coins. Mike's a pretty nice guy. Give him a shout, I'm sure he'll get back to you with some wonderful info. Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Gang,
Yea I have A Wild coin routine useing s reverse Sun&moon Coin!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Where can I find a performance and purchase the explanation for Roger's "Sol et Lune"?
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Lance Pierce has the routine on Friends of Roger Klause DVD both DVd's are filled with great routines and memories.
The explanation in the Richard's Almanac book by Richard Kaufman
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
There was a printed description in an old copy of The Winter Extra Almanac 1983-1984 bt Richard Kaufman. It was a steal small manuscript at $2.00. There is also a nice rubber band routine by Michael Weber and a couple other items.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2019, Poof-Daddy wrote:
There was a printed description in an old copy of The Winter Extra Almanac 1983-1984 bt Richard Kaufman. It was a steal small manuscript at $2.00. There is also a nice rubber band routine by Michael Weber and a couple other items.

It's also in the Collected Almanac, page 155.

Personally I prefer Rob Thompson's Samoya:

http://www.iwantthattrick.com/

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Actually, the small paper copy I have starts at page 155 so that is probably what eventually went into the ”collected” version.
I also have Samoya but ”I” prefer Rogers Klause’s routine over it if only for the great storyline that fits each move. To me, Samoya looks better when done silently or to music only.

Side note: I don’t know if the patter where I learned it (Lance Pierce on the Friends of Roger Klause DVD) was Roger’s or Lance’s, but after studying it and practicing a lot, I couldn’t think of a better script for it. So, I emailed Lance and he gave me permission to use it word for word in performance. This is just one of those effects / storylines that is better ”not making it my own”. I don't feel I could come up with anything more perfect that the exact way it was taught. I try to use my own presentations and patter on most of what I perform but this is one of a few that are way better just left in-altered.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hopping Halves (& its Sun/Moon Coin) Coin Set Variety??? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL