The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A new way to charge fees (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Al,

Not sure that there is a confrontation. I think in most art forms, whether or not you make money has little to do with the artistic merit.

I don't think they sit on opposite sides of a scale and that you have to give up one to have the other.

Sure there are plenty of great artists who died poor, but there are just as many that did very well financially.

Best,
James
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
James
I'm changing the subject here, but I herd a story once that Picasso would doodle on a restaurant napkin, sign it, and offer it to the restaurant manager as payment for dinner.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2775 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I don’t guess you all would like the idea of billing the client later either. Smile

I do know a couple of local magicians that work churches strictly for an offering. They do quite well. But outside that market, no I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I heard that Van Gogh and Andy Warhol did the same.
Picasso and Warhol of course died very wealthy.
Van Gogh did not.

Best,
James
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Accepting a love offering from a church or similar group is normal. Drawing tips from coffee houses and artistic gatherings is acceptable. If a performer is not concerned with how much he or she draws weekly, then who am I to judge how they do it.

But from a business perspective...and frankly it's either a business or a hobby since neither Picasso nor Warhol would have survived long if they'd handled their artwork as a hobby...it makes little sense to me personally. Even "successful" buskers, who rely primarily on tips, have a business-sensible structure in place for maximizing their income.

Performing with a "pay me what you felt it was worth" arrangement makes as much sense to me as a 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee on your show. I could never do it. I respect your artistic devotion highly Todd...but I don't see this idea catching on. Best to ya!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7418 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
For a discussion on artistic vs. getting money, see this (old) thread:

Cafe thread titled... Fee for strolling ......parties?

This thread took a turn towards that topic of discussion.

I suggested in a post on that thread, that being an artist doesn't mean you need to forgo your fee. I suggested giving a part of your salary away to charities, etc.

Check it out, Todd. It might give you some of the food for thought you are seeking.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Todsky
The greatest thing about being self employed, is you don't have to take advise from anyone. It's your life, and you can go down with your ship, if that's what you so desire.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
There is a time and place for everything.

I do arty magic tricks for myself- I think of hair brained methods and effects---BUT when it comes to business- it is a different game.

The trick is knowing when to stop being the artist and become the business man.

I would suggest that whenever someones wants your services - switch onto business mode.

At home and to your magic buddies do your arty stuff.

You can be both- They just don't always go well togeather.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I'm getting back into the business after a long hiatus...20 years, so my business savvy wrt magic is dated. In fact I'm not even sure how much to charge for children's parties and for Fund Raising events.

That being said, back then there was always the problem of "do I ask for money up front, prior to arriving, or go up to the hostess after the presentation and find a pleasant way to ask for your money. -- I'll search for a thread on those topics later --

As for this concept, I could see someone using this technique for extra money on top of a fee paid by a bar or restaurant.

If you do it I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with it.
Rick Jackson
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Arrange your payment at the time of booking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A new way to charge fees (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL