The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic for barter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2334 Posts

Profile of todsky
I bartered a magic show (kids birthday party) for a complete web site design.
Anyone else ever barter magic for something?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I have bartered a few times. They have bartering clubs in my area. I am not a member, but a few people I know are. But if the deal is right, bartering is fine.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2443 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Flora had a cassette called "getting more than cash" which suggested that very thing.
docmagik
View Profile
Regular user
San Bernardino, CA
118 Posts

Profile of docmagik
I sometimes stand by the freeway with a sign that says, "Will do magic for food."

I haven't got many kids shows that way, though.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
That's actually how I started out professionally. I would barter magic, at an Art Opening, for Art with local artists. Worked great and I got some really nice pieces out of it.

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
sweetcarl
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels, Belgium
120 Posts

Profile of sweetcarl
Quote:
On 2007-01-15 02:52, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
That's actually how I started out professionally. I would barter magic, at an Art Opening, for Art with local artists. Worked great and I got some really nice pieces out of it.

jamie

Brilliant idea!
Official Translator to Christian Chelman and the Surnateum
Linguanet Quality Translations
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of threecardmonte
I used to do restaurant magic and a portion of my fee was in gift certificates. That was fine with me. I was young, just starting out in magic, and I used to go out to eat a lot.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Yep...Traded a performance for a website, occasionally will trade a show for vending space at a festival...
I think it works great!
Gwyd
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Here is a tip I do at festivals and fairs I perform at every season. I always get asked to do strolling magic between my stage shows. Because of this, I am walking around and performing various shows at various spots.

Now if you know anything about festivals and working them, vendors usually pay for the spots they are working at the festival. You must be careful not to block their area or effect their traffic flow. If you do, you can get some very hostile vendors on your tail.

So I do something that not only combats that, but also ends up getting me a lot of free stuff along the way.

Before I set up any where to perform a strolling style show, I go and talk to each vendor in the area. I introduce myself kindly and mention what I do and that I am hired by the festival. I also state that would it be ok if I performed magic near their area and use their name and products and tlak about them in my performance. that way I can try and draw attention to them. I have yet to have a vendor say no.

In this light, I am almost working my festival strolling shows like a mini trade show. by the time I am done the mini-show, the vendors LOVE my wife and i. We have stated their name of their company and encouraged people to go over there after the show.

Just from doing this, we have received many free dinners, arts and crafts, paintings and the list goes on. They really appreciate us doing what we do for them and it makes my life a lot easier.

Just an idea.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2334 Posts

Profile of todsky
I also teach magic lessons for beginners, and I'd love to find a massage therapist who would exchange magic lessons for massage sessions.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
-My first Computer and Printer (early 1990's) for trade show work.
-Portable Phone
-Sporting goods/clothes
-Sungalsses
-glasses
-Set of four Hockey Tickets
-Web Design services
-Photography services
-Video services
-Advertising
-Trade Show Booth Space

It's important to note that the above were not flat out 1 for 1 exchanges.

Instead, they were "thrown in" by the client to make up for the difference, when they "really" could not afford the "full price" of my performance fees.

I prefer to get my "full fee", and if I don't I "walk away... unless (on rare occasions) the company has something of value to offer (that I "happen" to be in the market to purchase), and they offer it in exchange and make up the balance.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2334 Posts

Profile of todsky
Jon, that's a nice list of goodies, especially the hockey tickets. I've also gotten advertising thrown in when they can't afford my normal fee.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
When people feed me I ALWAYS do an encore. To Italian people food equals love.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 10:08, Al Angello wrote:
When people feed me I ALWAYS do an encore. To Italian people food equals love.
Al Angello

...and you do your Encore, when?...hopefully "after" you've eaten --not during! (lol)

That is unless making the food disappear "is" your encore! (lol, again)
Jonathan
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2334 Posts

Profile of todsky
At a show at a fancy steakhouse, things were running late and the host of the party offered me a meal while I waited for the group to finish theirs before I could start the show. I had the most amazing fish dinner with entree and wine, mm mm, definitely worth the wait! Then again, at birthday parties they are always pushing birthday cake on me, and I don't like bday cake, so I have to make some excuse for refusing it.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Mmmm... I'm getting seriously hungry just reading this post Todd!

When refusing birhtday cake (which I virtually always do), I simply make a lighthearted joke with the parents(so as not to offend them). I thank them sincerely for their kind offer and often comment on how nice the cake looks, but I quickly point out how if I ate birthday cake at every party I perfomed at, I would be "HUGE". They laugh and nod and accept my decline of cake without insult.

...Actually, there was one exception when the parents were very hurt and incensed... as a result they threw the cake at my face scoring a bullseye!

... but it tasted great!

To tell you the truth, I couldn't believe it... to tell you the truth, you shouldn't believe it... Never happened, never will... I hope (lol!!!):rotf:

For our corporate shows, that requires us to arrive hours before show time and leave 90 minutes following the show, because our "day is long", and we don't have time to grab a bite on our own, we have a clause in our contract that states thta the client agrees to furnish the performer(s) with a meal (which I almost always have "after" my performance).

Many enjoyable and top-qulaity meals have been enjoyed this way. The chef is almost always agreeable with keeping our plates "hot" until after the show when we are ready for our meal(s).

The client never seems to mind, and even prides themselves in offering a fine meal in appreciation, to not only the magicians , but also the other entertainers (ie. the band and or DJ).

For walkaround work, we never ask nor do we expect to be fed.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My mother would be insulted if someone turned down her food, food equals love, so I ALWAYS eat birthday cake, and I ALWAYS sing happy birthday ALWAYS. It's my job.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
Have bartered for:
Advertising
Year's supply of ink for InkJet
Decals & Magnetic Signs for the VAN
Coloring Pages Art Work
Printing of Coloring Pages
Professional Photo Shoot
Membership in Several Organizations (ie - Chamber of Comm, Art Council)
Set of Massages
Booth's at Event Fairs
AirBrush Classes for myself & "the assistant"
Have stayed away from the "Barter Clubs" because I think the joining fee & monthly fees excessive. All of these were gotten by mentioning during my business conversation that, "Oh yeah, I also Barter". If they express an interest I mention that they could either use me themselves or give me away to Charity and they would get the "write-off". My cartoonist who I get 3 new coloring pages from each year gives me to a Charity he likes where I also get Great exposure. Of course it helped that my wife was Greek where bartering is a way of life....lol.

Yours,
Aragorn, "do I have a deal for you", the Magician
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
Aragorn,

Great ide about giving you away to a charity!
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2334 Posts

Profile of todsky
Nice list, Aragorn! And please give my regards to Gandalf, if you see him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic for barter (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL