We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street magic and Money (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
Hi,
I would like to get into street magic but I would like to know some basics.
Could someone take me through a normal street magic performance as far as how to set up, where to set up, drawing a crowd, performing, and how to collect the money?

I was also wondering how you get people to give you money for street magic?
I would like to know more about passing the hat.
When should you pass it?
How?
What to say while passing the hat?
Or anything else I might need to know.

Could someone lead me to another forum to learn more about this or just tell me here.
Thanks

Thanks
-Martin-
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
You ask for it.
You expect it.
You earn it.
You collect it.

For more specifics, do a search in this forum for "Passing the Hat."

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5374 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
there is a ton of info right here...all you have to do is read it

koz
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations martinj,

Great questions!

BroDavid and koz have it exactly right, if directly to the point.

While my posts are few, I have been lurking on the site for quite a while, and have learned much.

If you are unable or unwilling to part with the cash for Cellini's "Art of Street Performing" VHS or DVD, and his "The Royal Touch" book, at $60 and $80, respectively, the next best thing is to take your time and review this entire site, paying particular attention to this forum, "The side walk shuffle," and "Rings, Strings & Things," as well as the comedy, rope, and silk forums (my preferences), you will find the information you are seeking. But the above purchases will answer every one of your questions and a few you haven't thought of yet, in a couple of readings and viewings.

So the actual question is time or money. And the answer is either to spend the time going through the threads here, and there is a wealth of information available for free here, or pay for your ticket and have all the information at your fingertips. The choice is yours.

I'm giving you this reply, being as concise as possible, because to answer your questions without raising more questions, would take most of the regular posters on this forum a couple of days of steady writing.

Besides, half the adventure is in the quest.

Good luck, and I'll look for you on the streets.

Joe in KC
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Martin,

What are you thinking of doing in your show? What routines do you want to do on the street? What are your thoughts and ideas? These are much more specific questions we can answer and help you with. The blanket question you asked could only be addressed in a book or a video.

Also if you search this area or even just browse it you will find more than enough information to get you out there and get started. You came to the right place if you are willing to do the legwork.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
Hi,
Well I have cups and balls, pocket chop cup, rising card deck, invisible deck, Svengali deck, stripper deck, de kram deck, anywhere card deck, silk vanish, light flight, bill through quarter, change bag, scotch and soda,
and hopping halves. I only use like two or three of the decks at a time so I am not varrying around 7 decks of cards. The only problem is that I am having trouble putting comedy with my routine.
Thanks
-Martin-
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Martin,

I think you misunderstood my question. The list you gave was just tricks. How do you plan on framing them? If you are having a tough time with writing the comedy do you have any ideas about it? Do you know who your character is?

What I mean by ideas about it would be something like this:

“I want to put together a show. I’m thinking about playing the part of a hobo who has all of these crazy things happen to him. Because he is a hobo I was thinking about doing that trick called “Beanie-Weenie” that Ammar put in one of his books. Could I use that as my finale? I’m having a little trouble framing it and I want it to be funny and my character looks silly at first and really wins at the end. Do you guys have any ideas?”

Something like this gives us a bit more to go on. The way you ask the question it appears like you want us to write you a show, we can’t do that for a bunch of reasons. Number one is we do not know whom you or your character is. This is the most important part of selecting and writing your routines. Find out who you want to be. Try to frame your character close to your real persona. You should be able to wear him comfortably like an old pair of jeans. Then select some tricks that you think would fit with that person and why he would be doing them. That is how you do it.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street magic and Money (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL