The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Golf Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
For a while now, I've been trying to develop a manipulation routine revolving around "golf" as the central theme. I envision coming out dressed in very obvious golf attire, and carrying a stubby golf bag. The idea is that my entire act comes from the golf bag or is otherwise centered around a day of golf. So far, I have included the following:

1. Diminishing Golf Ball (with silk as golf towel)
2. Multiplying Golf Balls with Four Ball Finale
3. Appearing Golf Club

I'd like to add some more meat to the bones of this routine, but I'm having difficulty thinking of what else to include. At first, I was thinking of doing some cigarette manipulation work, but with golf tees instead of cigs. The only concern I have there is the visibility of the golf tees from a distance (you see, I want this to be a true stage effect and so, visibility become crucial).

If anyone has any golf-related thoughts or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
How about that one:
appearing/vanishing golf clubs, by using "canes" which have a golf club part (how is it called???) instead of a normal "knob"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You could start with a small plaid bag (a small pattern of green, white, yellow, bound with black would work fine for this theme).

I would take a plywood rectangular board (say 12 by 36 inches, hinged in the middle for easy transport) and cover it with green felt. I’d make a hole at one end for “cup” but it would actually have a clamp (the king you hang brooms from) fastened inside.

I would start the routine by reaching into the bag and producing a green flag with the a number on it (say 13 or 0 just to be funny). This of course would be a ten-foot pole type of production using a shower curtain rod cover and putting the pennant flag on one end. It gets clamped easily into the hole on the “green”

I’d then show the bag empty inside and out and do and then produce a golf ball. Immediately go into a golf ball routine. First with one ball flourishes and tricks (for example, use a silk scarf to wipe the ball clean only to have the ball penetrate half way through the scarf, vanish from the scarf, reappear under the scarf, etc.). Perhaps perform the diminishing ball, diminish it to nothing then find it in the bag or pocket).

Then go into the multiplying ball routine. I’d have each of the first four balls a different color for color changes and visual interest. Flash four finish if you want. Or just drop the balls into a bag keeping one back and put it on the green.

Now show the bag empty again and reach in and pull out a putter. Put the ball into the hole, bow and walk off.

Appearing golf club is probably the simplest of your props to make. Dan Harlen shows one on one of his video tapes (using just this theme by the way). It is basically a metal appearing cane with a balsa wood “head”. It is simple to make and looks good.

The bag is made along the lines of the various multi-prop bags that Sam Berland made. Basically, small discrete pockets for each prop within the secret pocket.

This would be a nice visual Cabaret or platform act.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Harry,

I absolutely love that routine! Of course, for me, the toughest part of the routine would actually be to putt the ball into the hole! Smile I'm on my way to Wal-Mart as we speak to get an appropriate plastic shower rod for the Flag Pole production. Thanks for the great ideas!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
You could do a dancing golf club, ala dancing cane...

DJ
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Walsh made a killer acrobatic cane that broke into three pieces and was restored. Jay Marshall had a great gag with this.

SANDY WEDGE does an all golf act in Portland with some really strong items.

Walsh also sold Multiplying Golf Tees Iala thimbles). McComb's ball thru silk is great with a green silk and a golf ball.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It seems to me that some kind of Miniature Golf props might lend themselves to this routine- the Windmill with the ball getting stuck inside and then seen riding up and around on the vanes of the Windmill, the Clown Head where you putt the ball inside the Clown's mouth and big teeth chomp down on it and apparently swallow it. The ball could also get "lost" under flower pots, aka Cups and Balls.

How about an enlarging golf ball where the ball expands to become a super jumbo size, and then maybe floats around like an Astrosphere or Zombie as you try to place it on an oversized Tee.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Great ideas! The reason why I'm trying to develop this act is that I plan on marketing corporate golf events this year. After a golf tournament, I'd like to be able to provide some casual strolling magic (not a problem) and then a 30 minute stage/parlor style show.

So far, Here's what I have for the show:

1. I'm going to start out dressed in a tuxedo and carrying a briefcase. Realizing that I'm inappropriately dressed for the event, I'm going to do a quick change into a full blown golf outfit.

2. I open the briefcase and pull out a golf bag. The rest of my show will flow from the golf bag or other golf related items on my person.

3. I display a box of golf balls pulled from the bag, but when I open the box, there's only one ball in it. I take a silk (ala golf towel) to polish the ball. It repeatedly diminishes in size until it vanishes.

4. I take the silk and show it empty. Then a perpetual stream of balls is produced from the silk. I go through a color change sequence and then a multiplying golf ball sequence, ending with eight golf balls and then the production of a jumbo ball.

5. The above is performed to music. I now go into a verbal introduction and as I do so, I take a bottle of beer that "happens" to be sitting on the table and perform an airborn effect with it.

5. I go into a mentalism routine using the audience score cards and a prediction contained in a sealed, zip-lock bag, held by a spectator.

6. I talk about side bets and nassaus and how unfair it is to take such bets when playing with a magician. As I enter into this conversation, I talk about how much money I usually bring to a golf course and how much I usually leave with (as I perform slow burn).

7. I then take a golf tee from the bag. It comes to life and begins to float.

8. Everything goes back into the golf bag and then I produce a golf club from the bag to end the show.

I'm still tweaking the routine but I think I'm getting close enough now that I can begin to "sell" the show to prospective clients. The timing will still give me lots of time to ensure the show is practiced to perfection and modified if needed. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Go(l) for it!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I don't quite "get" the golf club at the end of the routine, unless you have been spending a lot of time in the routine looking for a club and only find it at the very end. But even so, it seems somewhat weak as an ending. How about this; after you produce the golf club, you finally get to swing at a golf ball, the ball takes off for the wings, we hear a smash (plate smashers) of breaking glass, and you take your leave and hurry off the stage the opposite way.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
He he, now that's a funny ending, in fact it could make a very funny comody routine! Sort of a Fred Kap character.
Paul
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Here are some of my ideas I use in my golf act. My golf glove changes colors twice. Then the golf clubs change color to match my towels. Final I place the golf ball on a tee and hit it with a club and a confettie launcher goes off over the audience. If you would like to use these ideas just pm me.

Bairefoot
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
This would be just a topper for the routine, but Jeff McBride has a DVD called Magic on Stage, and in volume one he teaches a few cane flourishes which I am sure could be adapted to a golf club.

Cane Flourishes
The Finer Roll
Down the Shoulder
Across the Back

Not effects in themselves, but more a show of skill, which is not necessary, but a great addition to any routine.

http://www.yourmagic.com/catalog/product......ts_id=70
Aim To Amaze
Keith Brown
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of Keith Brown
Fantasio showed a cane converted to a golf club in his IBM lecture in Miami. I did not get to go so I caught it online through the website.
~Dr. Keith Brown
<BR>"The Master of Mystery"
<BR>www.KeithBrownMagic.com
<BR>
www.TheInvisibleMagicShop.com
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Whoops, I meant Andy Capp, not Fred Kaps!
Paul
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Thanks for all the suggestions! I really like the McBride flourishes. I'll have to see if I can adapt some of them to the appearing golf club.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
What should be looked at is all the elements of golf.
Balls, clubs, holes, poles, flags, carts, ball washers, divots, sandtraps, etc.
From there you can look for ideas and effects where these elements may be applied.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Golf Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL