The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Carlton Beck (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

captmagic
View Profile
New user
Fairview, PA
13 Posts

Profile of captmagic
Has anyone ever heard of this magician? Is so what do you know about him and/or his reputation? What is he doing now? Where has he performed? Any info you can give me would be a big help.

Capt. Magic
Magic is a journey and a way, not a destination.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Heya Capt. Magic,

I'm afraid I haven't. Maybe someone else here has?

Good luck in your search!

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4806 Posts

Profile of videoman
This is an old thread but I can add this for what it's worth.

Carl Beck, known primarily for performing illusions, often using large cats.
Performed as Carlton and Company and made several television appearances in the 80's and 90's, and earlier.
I first saw him live when he performed for a summer at Knotts Berry Farm theme park in Southern California.
Met him a couple times years ago. He had a home outside Vegas, a fairly large compound where he kept his cats.
I know he toured with Ice Capades in the 90's, that's the last I heard of him. He was talking of plans to open some type of theme park or restaurant in Florida.
Not sure if he is still around, he was pretty old at that time although seemed to be in good shape.
I do remember him telling me a story of how he got his name. He was friends with Channing Pollack and Channing told him he needed a stage name.
Then he saw an old box in his garage for Carlton cigarettes and told Carl that would be a good stage name, Carlton.
He was probably best known for his signature illusion which he called the Triple Alliance.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2015, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
Heya Capt. Magic,

I'm afraid I haven't. Maybe someone else here has?

Good luck in your search!

~jamie

Why reply to an 8 year old post?!

Bizarre.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
He probably came across it and didn't realise how old it was.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I'm glad he did. If he hadn't we may not have had Videoman post the information he did.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2501 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I believe he still performs in Asia.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Cold case file. Solved.

We do it all here at the Jamie D. Grant show, folks!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Jamie, you're my hero. Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Magic Lady 80
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Magic Lady 80
Yes, this may be an old post, but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything new about Carl Beck.

I was the audio engineer who mixed his show and ran the light board for his magic act when he was at Knott's Berry Farm in the summer of 1978, I believe. It was because of that show that I met the magician who taught me the linking rings and other magic.

The black leopard Carl used was crazy nuts. The stage curtain breaker was in the dressing room that housed the cats. When the curtain blew, I'd have to go into the cat room alone to reset the breaker, and the leopard would do a five-point run leaping up on the sides of the cage from one side to another. I even got to hold some of the leopard cubs Carl was raising.

He was getting his act ready to take to Las Vegas.

So it brought back memories to see this post, and I hope someone else has newer info on Carl (or Carlton). Thanks!
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2957 Posts

Profile of tophatter
TIGER KING LOL ! CAT KING ...............
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Carleton & Co. can be seen performing in this magic special , 'Magic with the Stars' (1982) -

https://youtu.be/BMQb_AE96Io?t=3392
Magic Lady 80
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Magic Lady 80
Thanks David Todd! Much appreciated. Carlton was perfecting the Triple Alliance using a black leopard when he worked at the Starlight Pavilion at Knott's Berry Farm. It's nice to see it again, and much faster than the previous version I saw.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Carlton Beck (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL