The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Using the Café on a web enabled cell phone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Believe me when I say I'm no expert on Cell phones or mobile devices. But I recently got a new cell phone called the Verizon LG ZX9800. I mainly got it because it has a keyboard and makes my text messaging much easier.

Anyway, If you've ever tried to visit the Café forum from a cell phone browser it might have given you a message that says something like "Insufficient memory for this operation". I'm sure some devices might be able to do it but I'm writing this just to tell you what you can do if your phone won't allow you in.

From your cell phone browser go to google.com. In google search for "Themagiccafe". It'll find the forum for you. Then you can open the link to this forum.

Google will automatically turn the site into a format that will work on a cell phone (WAP).

When this happens the pages are broken down into a number of pages so it'll only load a portion at a time. In other words the "index" page of this forum will be about 16 pages long. When the first page opens you'll be able to sign into the Café.

The page it'll take you to after you sign in won't have the usual "Search" at the top of the page. Neither will the link to read your own private messages be there. So it would take for ever to search for all your posts and you wouldn't be able to open your own private messages. But there is a short cut way to find your own posts and your private messages.

The first thing you need to do is search for one of your own posts b yh scrolling down to a catagory you know you've posted in recently. Hopefully you'll have one near the top such as in the "New to magic" section. It can be any discussion you've recently participated in. Your goal here is to find a link to your own profile.

So once you've found a post that you've made. You can open the link that's on your avatar (picture of you on top left of each post you make). When this link opens you'll see your own profile.

For some reason the "search" box and your private message links will now show up on the top of your profile page. So you'll be able to open and read your recent private messages.

So you can also search for your own posts from this page.

So far I haven't been successful in actually posting anything from my cell phone. I can only read things but that can be handy if you've recently asked for help on something or are waiting for a reply from a private message.

Just thought I'd share this little short but with you all. I know you have a computer but I use my phone to browse around the Café sometimes when I'm not at home.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Thanks Ron, I hadn't thought of that. I just got a Web phone and have been playing with it. Some sites worked out great, but the Café wasn't one of them. I'll have to give that a try.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
190 Posts

Profile of Cheety
I've been doing this for years to watch scores and stuff on my phone. the first time I came to the Café was on my phone last january using google.
Mostly Harmless ^_^
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Using the Café on a web enabled cell phone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL