The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Some useless information (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
<<---can lick my elbow. Certain connective tissue disorders come in handy now and then Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank, Looch. I learned something today.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3459 Posts

Profile of Looch
Just for information purposes, I didn't write the original post, I read it and pasted it here as I found it entertaining. its certainly interesting to see how much people actually know about these sorts of things. lobowolfxxx your like a walking book of knowledge! ta
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
Quote:
On 2007-01-18 13:58, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Didn't know the Flintstones made prime-time. The first non-animated couple shown in bed together was Ricky and Lucy Ricardo.

Yep... that's where they began back in the 60's. The Flintstones were the first color TV show I ever saw. My uncle owned a tavern in Perth, NY (my hometown) and he was one of the first to buy a color TV in town. I still remember sitting at the bar as a kid and waiting for the Flintsones to come on so I could see my first color TV broadcast (most show were still black and white at the time).

I recall Lucy and Ricky having twin beds (as did Laura and Robert [Mary Tyler Moore and Dick van Dyke]).
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Quote:
On 2007-01-18 18:31, Jim Poor wrote:
<<---can lick my elbow. Certain connective tissue disorders come in handy now and then Smile

so can I. Interested in founding a self help group?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2817 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-01-18 13:49, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 18:32, Daniel Lander wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 16:52, looch wrote:
If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the
air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air
the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If
the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural
causes.

This one is an urban myth.

No it's not. Depends on the battlefield, but that's how it is at, for instance, Gettysburg.

http://www.snopes.com/military/statue.htm
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-01-20 00:09, mandrake01 wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-18 13:49, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 18:32, Daniel Lander wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 16:52, looch wrote:
If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the
air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air
the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If
the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural
causes.

This one is an urban myth.

No it's not. Depends on the battlefield, but that's how it is at, for instance, Gettysburg.

http://www.snopes.com/military/statue.htm

Yes...pointing out a single exception at Gettysburg -- Longstreet (though there are probably a few more). This one is neither a universal truth nor a universal myth. The vast majority of equestrian statues at Gettysburg follow this convention, and I don't believe it's the only battlefield at which this is true.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
I have seen many a statue with a rider and a horse, being in Utah. Many don't follow that rule. I suppose it's all how you want to look at it.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Here is the link to find out who the first couple was to be shown in the same bed.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/marykay.htm

I was really surprised at this answer, but also highly amused.

There is a statue of the leg of a famous general at the site of the battle of Saratoga. The name of the general is not on this statue, because the general's name is Benedict Arnold! He was actually a patriot who commanded and won many battles for the American cause before deciding to become a traitor.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
I tried to lick my elbow... sadly, yeah.. the trvia is true. Great stuff!
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Garrad
Just thought I’d add some more to the Malay.

The thing about statue’s of people on horse’s is actually an urban myth and not true.

About 10% of the population can actually lick their elbow, although why you would want to I don’t know, weirdo’s.

If you take a living sponge and liquidise it then put it back in a tank it will, over time, reconstitute it’s self. Even more amazingly, if you take 5 different species of sponge and put them all into the same liquidiser then pour them back into sea water, in time, not only will they reconstitute themselves but they will reform back into the separate species.

The “Gatso” camera ( speed camera ) was originally designed to help rally drivers go faster by analysing the vehicle as it came around corners.

When they introduced wheel clamps in France they lasted about a month because the French went around putting superglue in all the locks. Even when it wasn’t on their car. It became so costly for the clamping companies to replace the locks every time that their use was stopped.

When smoking was allowed on airlines the air in the cabin was completely changed every 3 minutes. Since it has been banned they save 6% of their fuel costs by using a mixture of fresh air and recycled air. This is pumped in at half the rate needed for comfort. Air rage has gone up 60% since then.

The word posh came from the old cruise lines. The rich would travel portside out and starboard home in order to catch the sun in their cabins. The tag on their luggage would read P.O.S.H standing for portside out starboard home.

Alan Smythy is the name directors can put on his film if he wants to disown it.

Barbara Cartland produced over 600 books in her time, she also invented the towed glider. On her death she was buried in a cardboard coffin under an oak tree in her garden.

The ozone layer, apparently smells of geraniums.

The slowest speed that light was ever recorded at is 38 miles an hour. It was slowed from 18600 miles a sec to 38 miles an hour by putting it through sodium at a temperature of -217 degree’s.

There is an ingredient in toothpaste that drives bears wild with lust.

Bamboo has a tensile strength greater than steel. Some species of bamboo grow up to 4ft a day.

There was a chicken that lived for over 2 years after he had been decapitated. Visit http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org.

Porridge was invented in China, whereas chop suey and fortune cookies are American creations.

The statue at the junction of Piccadilly and Shaftesbury Ave is not Eros, as most think, but the angel of Christian charity.

That’s enough banality for now.
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Again, the statue thing is neither pure myth nor pure fact. It IS almost universally true for the equestrian monuments at Gettysburg. The acronym for "POSH" is probably bogus...Oxford English Dictionary researcher George Chowdharay-Best found no supporting evidence for this derivation. That attribution came about decades after the word was in common usage, and is probably an urban legend. Chowdharay-Best published an article that included a variety of objections to this attribution in "Mariner's Mirror," the journal of the Society for Nautical Research.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Money was invented in China
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Some useless information (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL