The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » What Type of Underwater Escape? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I've been asked to return to Devonport, Tasmania, for the 50th Anniversary of their annual Regatta Event next year. I performed there in 1989 as a "dress rehearsal" for a river escape stunt I did to promote Magic Week http://www.magicunlimited.com/Magic%20Week.htm

That stunt was: Tied in 100' of rope, tied into a canvas sack, placed into a wooden trunk with the lid screwed on and a metal framework bolted around it with chains encircling it. The box was lowered into the river.

Rather than repeat myself, I'm brainstorming for something quite different in the way of a river escape. Something that the very description of will emotionally connect with the audience.

Naturally, if I do go ahead, I'll keep you up to date with it her in The Café.

Any thoughts to throw into the mix?
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Tim,
This is a weird one but since youre just fielding ideas, here is one I have been mulling around for some time. Your point about the audience connecting with said ridiculous endeavor is the key.
I was very much intrigued with Dave Hammner's "Vertigo" escape illusion because it has what many escapes lack...a plot point. Dave HAS TO escape in order to save his wife from falling on spikes. Its a great and heroic finish with many, many sub plots implied.
What about an outdoor stunt in which the escapist has to overcome the challenge of the restraints in order to complete a task. That way the point isn't the escape itself, but the escape MUST be made so the task can be accomplished.
Perhaps, if certain things went "wrong" then the finish would be even more exciting. Just a chatting point.
Please let us know what you do!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Good idea.

I always find a lot of the crowd thinks: "Well if he's stupid enough to get into the box in the first place, then he deserves to drown!"

Being challenged by a third party is, I think, always the best way to go.

Putting someone else in jeopardy and having to save yourself to save them is interesting... though, some could think "What did she do to deserve that!" *g*

Thanks for the ideas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » What Type of Underwater Escape? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL