The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » PSY Key by Yves Doumergue - Detailed Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Psy Key by Yves Doumergue available at Hocus Pocus http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?hn=1 listed under Psy-Key (with a hyphen)in the search box. Retail $399.00

The HP ad (and my unsolicited comments):

"Magic for the serious performer - experience real magic - the only key bending routine you will ever need!"

It really is for the serious performer. It's not intended as a quickie stunt. It's just not designed that way. As far as the only key bending routine you will ever need, you never know when you might need your trusty improptu key bend.

"No switching - no covering - nothing added or taken away - at fingertips - this key really does visually bend!"

To do the full routines on the DVD, some of that is needed. You can create your own routine that will eliminate that though. The key really does VISUALLY bend!

"And the best part - after it has visually bent in front of your spectator's eyes - without any moves or switches as only one key is used - it can be handed out for thorough examination and nobody will be able to bend it back"

This is very true.

"The effect looks exactly how it sounds - you will not believe your eyes! You've heard of the self-bending fork-but who carries a fork? Perform the ultimate visual bend with an everyday object; everyone owns keys and everyone knows how solid they are"

Well.... If they mean exactly how the effect sounds in the ad, not really. If they mean how the general effect sounds, then yes.

"This is a real reputation maker - a knockout effect that Will have your audience rubbing their eyes in disbelief!"

It certainly has that possibility!

"Psy-Key comes with a full instructional DVD and 2 routines: one for close-up and one for stand up."

The DVD covers the care and handling the gimmicks, basic instruction on timing the routine, and other assorted tips. The 2 routines it comes with are not very relevant because they involve using borrowed keys from spectators. I will go into more detail why this is a problem below.

Review:

The Psy Key comes packed in a sweet looking mini case. Very elegant looking. It is easy to see that a lot of thought went into the design and packaging of this effect. You can even make some slight modifications to the foam inside and put a few more small close up effects inside for transport. Enclosed was the DVD, key, a special case to store the key, a gimmicked Velcro strap, freezing spray, and a gimmick that can be used for both Psy Key and normal keys for other effects. Great care was taken to securely pack everything.

Uh, Oh The Key! I saw pictures of the key but after seeing it up close, I began to wonder if this was really that uncommon. I couldn't find any on both of my key rings. I asked a few more people but nothing close. I then went to a hardware store and showed them the key and asked if they had anything even close. They had close to 200 styles of keys, but the closest match was about half the size and not magnetic. I'm not saying that similar keys are unavailable here, but they are too uncommon to attempt to try a routine that asks a group of specs for a key to borrow.

I will admit that the key issue is not a huge deal. You can still do your favorite key bending routine using one key, but with Psy Key instead of a normal key, letting the spectator actually watch the key bend in their hands while you just step back and watch. Extremely visual!

It won't work! That was my first reaction. Of course that was based on 5 minutes of practice. Because several aspects of this effect are affected by temperature, this is NOT an effect that you pull out of the box and start showing people 5 minutes later. I found the more I practiced, the more reliable the results became. Practice consists of holding the key in different ways to see how it reacts to different handling. Equally important is finding out how long the key will remain in the proper state in different places. Even if you end up waiting too long and you get a slight bend, that isn't a problem. I've passed off really bent keys off as straight. They will still see the key bending the rest of the way up.

The first trial! I was concerned that the key would be too cold when they put the key in their hand. It really is not a problem. It's not noticeably colder than normal keys. One thing I want to mention is that you may see some vapor coming from the key in extreme temperature differences.

I knew a friend was coming over a few days after I started playing with the key, so I started planting a few things in her head. I told her that I was daydreaming while staring at a letter opener I keep on my desk and when I snapped out of it it was bent. I gave a big story and also told her about 2 other things in the following 2 days that bent in front of me along with a little story. Naturally I bent all those items before she came over. I then showed her the items and she looked a little spooked. After a little more storytelling, I took the Psy Key that I had put on my key ring right before she walked in and put it in her hand. I started staring at it and she looked down and saw it starting to bend. She threw the key on the ground and got visibly upset. She was afraid to go near me until I convinced her it was a trick. that's the first time I got a reaction that strong.

I'm sure a lot of it was the 3 days of storytelling and the prep work, but I can't imagine getting a reaction like that if she didn't actually see it bending in her hand while I was a few feet away.

Bottom line: This effect takes practice and you may go through a few bottles of freeze spray before you get the hang of the key. Because it is not a common US key, you are out of luck if you want to use the borrowed key routines taught on the DVD. But based on the reaction I got the first time I tried this on someone, I highly recommend Psy Key. Just do yourself a favor. If you buy it, take the time to work with it. It's easy to get frustrated after 10 minutes and just say the hell with it, but if you put the time in it that it deserves, you can get some killer reactions.

Jeff
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
How much are "freeze spray" refills, and how many are shipped? Or is this an item you can buy from a local home supply warehouse once you run out of the supplied bottles?
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
870 Posts

Profile of e-man
Is it easy to straiten the key into true shape..?
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
DougNicols, I am still on the first bottle and haven't priced them. It ships with one bottle. You can use any kind of cold spray. I'm gonna try some stuff from home depot and the drug store.

e-man, it's very easy to straighten the key. I give it a little spray and it is perfect with almost no effort.

Jeff
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
It seems to match UK keys pretty well, and I tend to use the freezer ...

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for the review
Cards never lie
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Piers, I haven't tried the freezer yet. The most common key here in the US is Kwikset or a couple other brands that have the same shape as Quikset. SCHLAGE is also another common key but since they are higher end they tend to be less common.

Andy, you're welcome.

Jeff
dexterity
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of dexterity
The PsiKEY seems to be the same method used by a dealer from Israel that sold bending spoon/fork at the Blackpool Convention some years ago? They claim that it was their invention. Is it the same?

Jan C.
I run a magic shop based on internet: www.crosbymagic.no.
I also do lecture which I call: SMART MAGIC - WITHOUT NERVES.
Please contact me at: magic-lecture@jancrosby.no
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Actually it's called "PSY KEY". Psi Key, with an "i" is another effect entirely, but yes, PSY KEY is based on the same metal. I was one of those unfortunate people who bought that fork. It was a poorly designed and poorly made effect. A five year old would know that wasn't a real fork.

Nitinol, the metal, has been used in a few different effects. I believe the most popular was "Wiregrams". I'm not sure whether that came before or after the bending fork fiasco.

PSY KEY is a very good effect because the object bending looks real and the size makes it easier to manage, as those who have it will know what I'm talking about. It also costs a few hundred bucks less.

I hope I answered your question.

Jeff
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
I love my PsyKey.

It's an excellent tool.

Still enamoured with it.

Piers.
Smile

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1136 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
After playing with this a while now, it does take a knack to reset but once you can do this, it is one KILLER item! I will be developing a strong 'impossible conditions' presentation around this for an in the spectators hands bend.

Thanks Yves for persisting with your idea long enough to get it out in to reality. That is real magic!

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
With metal bending, sometimes a simple explaination to 'bluff' the spectator on how to bend metals is either use the power of their mind or the casual 'if you rub it, the metal will get warm and it bend'. Everyone knows it's impossible but they can't imagine you are literally doing what you are telling, with this innocent high quality gimmick.

I think if let them holding the key and you rub it, this could possibily the best reaction you get.

BC
Best Regards,

Bob
Yves Doumergue
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Yves Doumergue
Thanks for your kind words.

If you have any question/suggestion do not hesitate to contact me directly at :
yves@bluesource.fr

I'll answer as best as I can.

BTW this batch is quite finished. Very few units are left (8).

Yves
Yves DOUMERGUE.

[email]yves@bluesource.fr[/email]
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
This is one of those effects where I think a 'silent' presentation would be really powerful ...

Piers.
Smile

James Kennedy
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
16 Posts

Profile of James Kennedy
I must admit I have been considering buying PSY KEY for quite sometime I finally bit the bulllet and bought it its a totally awessome effect If it can make my father smile when I perform it I think it can stand the test of any lay audience. Well done Yves Smile
magicmann
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of magicmann
I agree, I have recently purchased this and it is beyond all my expectations.
This has the WOW factor.

Paul
Deming
View Profile
New user
Syracuse, NY
5 Posts

Profile of Deming
How long can you let this sit in your pocket before performing the effect? If I'm on a television show and want to perform this, do I need to get right into it, or can I take my time with the interview and hold off until the host is ready? Any comments would be appreciated.

Scott
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5160 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
How long will the Key last? Will it break or can use you it for a long time?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12601 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-04-23 02:43, Kjellstrom wrote:

Can anyone answer this question?

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2342 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-01-16 18:34, johncesta wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-04-23 02:43, Kjellstrom wrote:

Can anyone answer this question?

J

Jeff the Unamazing Hack:
It won't work! That was my first reaction. Of course that was based on 5 minutes of practice. Because several aspects of this effect are affected by temperature, this is NOT an effect that you pull out of the box and start showing people 5 minutes later.
Jeff
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » PSY Key by Yves Doumergue - Detailed Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL