The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Nady HM-10 Headset what do you think? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
So what do you think of the specs on this Headset mic by Nady? http://www.nady.com/pdf_files/manuals_pd......uide.pdf

Street prices are around $70-99 US. Mic head seems almost as small as Countryman E6.
http://www.countryman.com/pdf/E6%20data%20sheet%203.pdf For some reason different specs are here http://www.countryman.com/html_data_sheets/e6data.html
Nady 5mm vs E6 (5.6 mm x 4.8 mm

Also comparing it to AT-892c http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resour......92_e.pdf

The nady seems to be comparable for less $ with some better numbers however the AT has a thinner diameter head.

They say the Nady assembly has been moisture-proofed .
And unlike the E6 and AT this has a double ear design which I hear some like since there is less wobble.

I can see the Nady is less sensitive -42 db Nady vs -24,-29, or-39 db E6 depending on the "tpye"? )but not sure how much that affects overall performance.

So for the price it seems to have that sleek look and similar features.

So does any one have an educated opinion how this might perform?
Anything in a similar price range that might perform be as invisible as the E6?
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Maybe Dan or Scott will have an idea if this might be a decent performer?
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2007-01-19 10:57, mghia wrote:The nady seems to be comparable for less $ with some better numbers ...

Quote:
On 2007-01-21 12:57, mghia wrote:
Maybe Dan or Scott will have an idea if this might be a decent performer?

Hi, mghia!
I have never used the Nady, and therefore will offer no comment on it's performance or its quality.
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
I understand, if you have the time to look at the published specs and feel it would not be very good, I would thank you for that since I do not know what I should be looking for.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
My experience with nady has never been good. equivelence to radio shack equipment.
Believe you then that I do strange things
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12100 Posts

Profile of John C
I used their drum mics. Not very good. Got Shure mics.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2007-01-21 22:45, mghia wrote:
I understand, if you have the time to look at the published specs and feel it would not be very good, I would thank you for that since I do not know what I should be looking for.

I'm not ... well, actually, I am ... trying to be evasive on this. I never trust published microphone specs to indicate sound quality, because sound quality is FAR more intangible than specs. Here's what I mean.

I think that the human voice is most "archetypical" sound to a human, meaning that it is the sound with which we are most familiar, and in which we are most likely to be able to identify abnormalities, even if we've never heard that particular voice before. For example, if the first time you ever hear someone's voice is over the phone (or even more miraculously, over a cell phone), you can immediately identify whether or not that person has a cold. Now THAT's that power of our ears & our brains when it comes to the sound of the human voice. Those subtleties cannot be defined in specs.

Well, there's the long story regarding why I don't judge mics based upon specs, and since I haven;t tried the mic myslef, I can't intelligently & responsibly comment on it.
Good luck in your search for the right mic for you.
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Well I have used a Nady 101 lav that has held up for over 15 years and never had a problem. I have used this in a traveling show with a Shure lav and the only difference HEARD was the money flying out of the wallet at 15x the price. AND I recall that Shure failed a few times or the batteries kicked too fast.

Seeing that a few hear play with mid-high end headsets, I was looking for comparison to in size and published ratings.

While I understand specs are skewed at times, they usually are across the board so then based on what is published; I was trying to see if any would find something that was a negative in specs compared to the big boys.

I have a firm belief that NAME and price dose not ALWAYS equal better quality than newer competing products that might have a way to break into market with something good. As technology gets mass produced the price comes down.

And sometimes you just are going overboard to spend $1500 on a headset if you are not doing 5 shows a day in Vegas. I have found I can take just about any mic and put it along side my cheek and have it pick up just as good. However they were not designed to be used that way so I am looking for the latest designs and offerings. Heck, I know people are just pleased as punch with some of those low end wireless units out there that do not even run on A/C. I guess the one detraction to being an audiophile is that sometimes they know too much that the average ear at a show will never pick up on.

There has been some good buzz on headsets on the Café. I look at view the specs similar to online stereo shopping. I think there should be some clues to quality or performance in the specs.

Maybe I should ask more direct questions like

Does the design look comfortable compared to the E6? Are there pluses and minuses with the double hook design? Will it be noticed more than the single ear hook up?
________
Sensitivity is -42+-3dB on the Nady and E6 uses uV/PA as a measurement and I have no clue how to compare that and they list three types with different numbers.
( Under "acoustic noise equiv" they range from 24-39 dB depending on the TYPE. I am not sure which type is which and if this applies to sensitivity.)
AT headset is -44db.
So is it better to have a higher or lower sensitivity numbers?

In general, if the Nady is LESS sensitive, how much difference could it make?

SPL on the Nady is 130 SPL MAX the E6 is 135-155 depending on the TYPE (which I can not find a reference to which type is which)

I assume SPL is for how much it can take when singing or yelling. SO if I do not sing 130 should be adequate yes?
------------
Nady states cable is 1.5mm. I am not sure if they mean the boom. If any one has an E6 or AT, what is the cable size of yours? I am trying to figure to compare the SIZE this compared to the higher end gear.

As I said, I have used Nady and NEVER had issues with the quality and it was a lower end model. (Nady 101) IT is VHF and I have never had interference and have gotten the rated distance and battery life. The only problem is that they hard wired the mic to the transmitter and do not have a gain on the top of the pack. The gain needs a little screw driver to put in the back of the case to access which can be a bother. My need for upgrade is the plague of all lavs, the gain has to be high for it pick up but if one works close to their PA they have a higher risk of feedback than if using a headset or dynamic mic.
Until I know if I like using a headset, I am not willing to spend $500-1500 for a format I might not enjoy using or fit in my needs.
However, I was not going to waste $70 either if it looked like a dog. I would say it looks much closer to the higher end than some of those headsets that LOOK like you are calling in air traffic. drop those on their neck and are just happy with them (like the one that comes with he Pyle Pro 120) However I am looking for something a bit smaller in profile.

The Nady headset is a stand alone and if you have mini XLR or 3.5mm plug and the pack provides phantom power 1.5-10vDC you should be able to run it with any brand transmitter.

I am in the midst of looking at new systems to fit in my new PA and headsets that are out there so was just offer it up for dialog since the price might appeal to some.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Nady HM-10 Headset what do you think? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL