The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » "Caplocation" by Dan Watkins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Hi magiclee, I received my download well within a 24 hour period. I imagine yours should be about the same. Also note, even with dial-up the download is almost instantaneous.

I am on a dart league at the local pub every Thursday night, can't wait to try it out there this coming Thursday. I am planning on trying out the impromptu version, which will be perfect for the pub I attend, bottoms up.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
MagicJohnH
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJohnH
Fingeres,
I ordered it yesterday and got it last night. I read it over and can't wait to get some bottle caps to play with. It looks to be a great bar routine.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Can someone tell me whether this routine lends itself well to the plastic screw caps found on 1 liter bottles? I imagine it would, but wanted to check first.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
No! the genius is how Dan exploits a simple metal bottle caps so you can perform this fantastic effect.

Joe
check me out on facebook #MAGICTOTD
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
No, it can't be done? Or no, you don't want to tell me? I'm seldom in a place with metal bottle caps but plastic caps are everywhere. (think Las Vegas desert... water bottles... )
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Hi All,

Thanks for all the nice words about CAPLOCATION.

Those who have asked how quick you recieve the eBook, its within 24 hours. I usually try to be quicker than that though. I usually send a batch in the morning and one later in the afternoon each day.

Dave, no you cannot use perform CAPLOCATION with the plastic bottle caps. To get into the details why they don't work, I'd have to tip the methods. But using general terms, the plastic bottle caps do not share the same critical attributes as the metal ones neccessary to the routine.

Best,

Dan
Click to visit:
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Thanks Dan, that's really all I wanted to know.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Hi MagicJohnH, it is a great routine for the bar, you will love it.....

Thanks again Dan for a great DVD and your input here on this post.....!
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Hi,

I remember a magic event in Vienna/Austria about 25 years ago, when Goshman showed this effect. But 25 years is a long time. Can anyone tell the difference between the two routines?

Angelo
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Angelo,

What Goshman did was Chink-a-Chink with Bottle caps. It was four bottle caps put in a square or diamond, and one at a time they assemble in one corner.

Translocation is a coins across routine that uses a gaffed coin set. Four coins are placed in a column on the table and covered by one of the magician’s hands. One at a time the four coins travel from under one of the magician’s hands to his other which is also laying flat on the table.

It is a completely different effect, albiet, both are being done with bottle caps.

Here is an excerpt from the introduction to CAPLOCATION that gives some further background:

...Over the years Chink-a-Chink routines (four objects placed in a square that eventually assemble to one corner under the cover of the magician’s hand) have been performed using bottle caps... While I have no doubt that the idea of using bottle caps originated not long after the introduction of the Chink-A-Chink plot and twist off bottle caps; very notable versions are in print by Frank Thompson, The Pallbearer’s Review (May 1972 issue), Scotty York, First Lecture Notes (1975), and Albert Goshman in his book, Magic By Gosh - The Life and Times of Albert Goshman (1985). The earliest citing I am aware of is in a 1953 issue of Genii Magazine where Lu Brent (of Camden, NJ) published the idea of using bottle caps. (Thank you Marc DeSouza for help on these credits). The routine has found its way into the repertoire of many a bar magician due to the ease of acquiring the props!

Performing Chink-A-Chink with bottle caps is very straightforward and harkens back to the Nate Leipzig version with sugar cubes (using objects that are easily palmed). The one ahead method is utilized with a simple hand sequencing to create the effect.

Contrary to Chink-a-Chink, adapting bottle caps to Kennedy’s “Translocation” is more problematic because the shell coin is pivotal to “Translocation’s” method...

I will stop there because the rest goes on to talking about my solutions to Translocation with bottle caps...
Click to visit:
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Dan,

thank you - now I remember!

Kind regards!

Angelo
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
I have been practicing this on a hard surface and I keep getting some "noise" when the cap jumps to the other side. Granted this will work best on a close-up mat or a soft surface, but does anyone think this noise will take away from the overall effect?

-Matt
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
A hard surface is not my favorite place to do it because the caps tend to move around a bit, it makes some of the moves a little harder.

Yes you will get a little bit of noise, but you are putting your hands over bottle caps on a hard surface, they are bound to clink together, people will expect some sound. I never had anyone ever say, "Wow, but I heard it go across." Who ever said caps have to magically travel over in complete silence? Smile

In my experience the little bit of noise doesn't matter.
Click to visit:
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Noise can be used as magical....from the props.(like the wonderful sound from Silver Morgans or my nearly normal kazoo or harmonica music)

Things do go better with "Coke"(caps) even sounds....

Somewhere I remember hearing a spectator commenting on the whoosh being the magic sound connected to my tie to cane effect.

Harris....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I would like to hear some of that harmonica noise Harris, I love the harmonica! Maybe you can play the harmonica, while at the same time doing "CAPLOCATION", that would be a cool feat.....
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3849 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I just ordered this directly from Dan's site. It looks terrific and I think would work well with Prohibition (cap through bottle).

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Sounds like they will go real well together Michael! I think you will be very pleased with your choice. What is really nice is that the routines taught take a bit of practice, but you should be able to perform them in a very short amount of time, good luck.....
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Well, as with all of Dan's stuff, this looks awesome. However, this is one magician who simply cannot C.P.. I've tried to master this since 1977, and just can't do it.

I've considered purchasing the C.P. DVD. It's very frustrating, having to walk away from routines like this one. This one reason I gave up Coin Magic, and am now moving 'back' to cards.

For those of you who purchase, ENJOY!!!

BEST....smitty
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Hey Smitty, you just may be lucky here. Classic palming a bottle cap is a whole lot different than classic palming a coin. The bottle caps are a lot easier, they almost jump into your hands. You do the routines with the bottle caps open end up and they almost stick to your palm with hardly any effort.....
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
120 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Greetings,
I've had really good responses from doing the Chink-a-Chink found on the Johnny Thompson video by L and L Pub. but using bottle caps instead of sugar cubes.
I agree that using bottle caps makes it a breeze...even my 11 year old daughter loves doing it because it looks so magical and its still easy to do, even for her.
Bob L.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » "Caplocation" by Dan Watkins (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL