The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Have you seen this...I love it (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Well, this wasn't for magicians. It was for laypeople and according to the number of his hits and the fact that he's featured on youtubes main page, it would appear they like this "slight artist" and his display of skill.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
The clip features his sleight-skill demonstration. Not more, not less . . . the rapid editing made it all look very slick . . .

BTW, the site offers some more clips from him - and Kato-san is right, his presentation skills leave room for improvement.
Cards never lie
jalal12321
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of jalal12321
Well I didn't think he was anything special, I mean if he where performing live I don't think he would have got away with his jumping gemini. I liked the idea of his invisible palm but not so much the exucution.
mattm
View Profile
New user
North West, England
46 Posts

Profile of mattm
I can only second everything Hideo Kato and some others have said about these kind of demonstrations on youtube. The technique is impressive and good magic stems from technique but it also stems from A LOT of other things. Just reading the likes of Strong Magic and Designing Miracles or watching something like a Rene Lavand DVD shows that to create true magic more is needed than skill demonstrations. I think magic now deserves a lot more thought and the focus being shifted to creating 'ilusions' (true magic) not just deceptive (admitedly impresive) technique. If we can do that then magic will start recieving the recognition it deserves not just as being some technique someone doesn't know or hasn't yet read in a book, but as an art form that encompasses great pyschology, showmanship, theatre and most importantly of all, as I have discovered through performing, a means of communication between you (your personality, thoughts, philosophies etc) and your audience.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I personally think he made me work too hard to follow his Invisible Aces. Maybe all conviluted non-routined ace-handlings seem brilliant while using a conspiriatorial Roswell rhymer as your soundtrack.

But that's just me.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2007-01-21 03:57, Drizz wrote:
the number of his hits and the fact that he's featured on youtubes main page, it would appear they like this "slight artist" and his display of skill.

Juggling has always been popular...
Fresh
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Fresh
Quote:
On 2007-01-20 11:14, mudd wrote:
I have never seen the Invisible Palm Performed with the last card visually vanishing from the face of the deck....maybe I am just extremely deprived....

Check out Tyler Wilson's book "Dominatricks". There is an Invisible Palm routine that is done with different coloured backed Aces (say blue Aces in a red deck).

About the video, I just saw it earlier today on YouTube's front page, and I wasn't that impressed. Sure, the changes were good, but I'd rather see a good original routine, instead of a bunch of changes thrown together. When I first watched this I was under the impression that this was a promotional video - maybe I am wrong.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Well done, that said. I think, what some have tried to say is: Your slight of hand skills are to be praised, but what you did, is like displaying TT, then showing how skilled you are using it.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
523 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
The only critisism I have is that his lifts are very stiff looking, and consequently do not apppear natural.Other than that some good stuff.

Jack
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
In addition to what Hideo-San said about Tamariz, think about Lennart Green. We all know he has immense skill with cards, but he produces miracles whilst seemingly handling the deck with very little skill. Sloppy shuffling, dropping cards everywhere, etc. This is what makes magic magical; it's not about soundlessly juggling cards to show off.
theAmazinbryan
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of theAmazinbryan
I have question what is the name of the change that he does from side to side wave ?Not the marlo change going back to front but the one he does waving is hand from side to side .
thanks bryan
I liked it .
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
157 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
Hi all

My own 2c

To quote my God Henning Nelms: "Your skill should be your most cherished secret".

That's no criticism on the wonderful card handling skills. I for one am dead jealous.

Ciao for now

Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks for sharing...
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2007-01-24 13:44, theAmazinbryan wrote:
I have question what is the name of the change that he does from side to side wave ?Not the marlo change going back to front but the one he does waving is hand from side to side .
thanks bryan
I liked it .

That was VERY similar to Harry Levine's Hurricane change ( though someone will have to correct my spelling .. )

Its in Trapdoor magazine, don't recall the issue, though will search for it if anyone intrested, its a special issue full of Harry Levine's material. The routine taught with the change is particularly good.

In this video,the technical skill is quite good, especially when it comes to a certain move which he uses quite a few times in this video. Some sleights need some tweaking, but overall, he's one of the better magicians in youtube.

Presentational wise, can't judge the guy unless I see a full performance, and from the clips, although creative, the presentation needs some tweaking. Still, good skill.

Many performers actually admit the use of sleight of hand, gambling demonstrations, anyone?

~ Feras
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Have you seen this...I love it (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL