The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Whos going to the Super Bowl? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Stanyon,

Favre just announced that he WILL play in 2007.

Get ready to re-write the record books.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
My kid wants the Bears to win because he wants to see the Colts lose. The Colts beat his favorites, The Patriots and he wants to see them crushed!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Eman
View Profile
Regular user
Bloomington, Indiana
141 Posts

Profile of Eman
A friend of mine wants to bet with me that the Colts will lose, but I refused to bet. The reason- my family is superstitious about Colts football. No betting, constant snacking a must, my brother must have this one exact spot in front of the tv, and above all, no betrayal against the Colts.

At the very beginning of the season, my brother had predicted that it would be a colts-saints game. He was very close to being right, but we haven't lost a game while he has been in his spot.

-Evan
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Here is a funny story..I guess. My mom encouraged this air force guy years back to be better and keep doing what he was doing and now he is succesfful in the air force. And somehow met less than 30 days ago and my mom got a free plane ride from WA to Chicago and gets a free ticket to watch the superbowl. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Dunno who's going to win, but the Bears should cover. The spread should be 3-4 points, and if it weren't the Super Bowl, it would be; since so many recreational betters put cash on the Super Bowl, however, it's more weighted toward their opinion. The vast majority of pros are backing the Bears with the points, and if the usual balance of "squares v. sharps" money was influencing the line, it would be much smaller.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Eman
View Profile
Regular user
Bloomington, Indiana
141 Posts

Profile of Eman
Colts Won!!! Yay!

Oh, and Peyton Manning is MVP!!!!
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
I like Lovie Smith, and this has nothing to do with him personally, but the Bears are quite possibly the worst team to ever play in the Super Bowl. What'd they have, like 43 turnovers?

Did they have more turnovers than total yards? They gained more yards on the opening kick-off than they did the rest of the game. And the Bears QB, he just played gross, man. I watched, I think, two consecutive plays where he botched the snap and was diving backwards to fall on the ball, and I said to myself, "Hey, how did Charlie Frye sneak into a Bears jersey and get into the game?" They may be the first Super Bowl team to go 0-16 the next year.

And how did Peyton Manning win the MVP award? Everybody knows the Colts MVP was Rex Grossman. And, yeah, I know it rained, but the Colts had to play in it too.

I really thought the game was going to be better than that.
"Go Browns!"
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Hey, Vandy....Is Favre coming back to the NFL, or is he practicing his Suplex for his move to the WWF?

He could team up with the Honky Tonk Man. The Honky Tonk Man and the Honky Tonk QB as a tag team!

What'd you think of the Super Bowl?

OUT!
"Go Browns!"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 17:18, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Dunno who's going to win, but the Bears should cover. The spread should be 3-4 points, and if it weren't the Super Bowl, it would be; since so many recreational betters put cash on the Super Bowl, however, it's more weighted toward their opinion.

Too bad you weren't taking action on the game, I would have loved to get in on it.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 22:43, mstick85 wrote:
Hey, Vandy....Is Favre coming back to the NFL, or is he practicing his Suplex for his move to the WWF?

He could team up with the Honky Tonk Man. The Honky Tonk Man and the Honky Tonk QB as a tag team!

What'd you think of the Super Bowl?

OUT!

LOL! He's coming back baby.

I LOVED the Superbowl, couldn't have gone down any better in my opinion. I have two friends that are Bears fans, I have been TELLING them Grossman is a BUM. They didn't want to hear it. I told them, you just wait, stand by your man, he's gonna take you to the Superbowl or the Championship game and he's going to choke it up and lose it for you. And that's just what he did. And where was that vaunted Bears defense? The got STOMPED, pushed around and run over. The Colts, spotted them seven points, missed kicks left and right and still blew them out. The Bears are done, they won't be back in the Superbowl next year. This was their shot and they blew it. God bless em!
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Quote:
On 2007-01-31 16:38, Lambertmoon wrote:
I'll say Colts win 30-17.

I didn't count on Vinatieri missing that extra point.

Vandy-You have to be happy seeing the Bears get gutted like that. Grossman was brutal. Just brutal. I'm still wondering why the Bears abandoned the running game so early.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I thought about that last night, I knew you had come VERY close to calling the score. Nice call. Did any of your pools pay off?

I'm extremely happy, I was in heaven. The Bears flat out sucked, and Grossman killed them. With the Bears down 19-14 they have a 2nd and 2 (after a nice 9 yard run) and then they decide to let Grossman throw the ball. 2nd and 2 and you are going to let Grossman throw??? In a monsoon??? They got just what they deserved. Grossman gets sacked, next play they blow the snap. GAME OVER. Nice play calling idiots. Yeah let's put it all on Rex's shoulders. Live with Grossman, die with Grossman. The Bears died with him and I couldn't happier. I can't stand the smug little jerk.

To paraphrase Dennis Green; "The Bears are who I thought they were."

I'm listening to Chicago sports radio all day today. It's wonderful.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
LOL... It was ridiculous. Talk about a terrible game plan. Wow.
The only shot at winning that game was to play a grind-it-out, field possession game to keep the ball out of Mannings hand.

I'm not a big fan of Grossman either. I know you and Mstick have been very vocal about the Bears being over rated. You guys called that one.

I didn't hit on any boxes but I won some money on the game. The weather scared me and I didn't bet as much as I was going to. If only I'd known that Lovie was going to let Rex throw.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I was very surprised at how little Chicago ran, and how well the Colts were able to run. It was supposed to be the other way around.

I agree that the Bears gave up on the run too early. They didn't have to put the game in Grossmans hands when they were only down 5 points with 11 minutes left. But Rex is the man, so they put it on his shoulders. I wouldn't trust my Superbowl life to Rex Grossman, but hey, what do I know?

And the Bears defense didn't know if they were coming or going. They got outplayed, outcoached, and completely schooled. Tank Johnson is completely overrated, and that fearsome defense (Ha,Ha) put NO pressure on Manning. I think I saw Manning drop back, stop to have his picture taken, sign a few autographs, then make a sandwich and eat it before the Bears front line got anywhere near him on one play.

I hope Lovie Smith dosen't do anything silly like let somebody else compete for the QB position next year. Stay defiant Lovie!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 22:38, mstick85 wrote:
I like Lovie Smith, and this has nothing to do with him personally, but the Bears are quite possibly the worst team to ever play in the Super Bowl. What'd they have, like 43 turnovers?

Did they have more turnovers than total yards? They gained more yards on the opening kick-off than they did the rest of the game. And the Bears QB, he just played gross, man. I watched, I think, two consecutive plays where he botched the snap and was diving backwards to fall on the ball, and I said to myself, "Hey, how did Charlie Frye sneak into a Bears jersey and get into the game?" They may be the first Super Bowl team to go 0-16 the next year.

And how did Peyton Manning win the MVP award? Everybody knows the Colts MVP was Rex Grossman. And, yeah, I know it rained, but the Colts had to play in it too.

I really thought the game was going to be better than that.

Bears had five turnovers...or just two more than the Colts. I'd give the MVP to Addai. Grossman threw a couple of picks, but there was bad weather, and he completed about 70% of his passes. Subpar performance, for sure, but not on the all-time-worst short list. For instance:

Earl Morrall: 6 for 17, 0 TDs, 3 INTs.
Billy Kilmer: 14 for 28, 0 TDs, 3 INTs.
Fran Tarkenton: 11 for 26, 0 TDs, 3 INTs.
Craig Morton: 6 for 17, 0 TDs, 4 INTs.
John Elway: 14 for 38, 1 TD, 3 INTs
John Elway: 10 for 26, 0 TD, 2 INTs.

And so on. The Bears scored as many points as the Colts did over the season, and allowed about 100 fewer. In fact, in scoring just 60 points more than they allowed over the course of the year, you could almost make the case that the COLTS are one of the worst Super Bowl teams ever. Points scored v. Points allowed is a good predictor of a team's success, and teams that underperform or outperform this yardstick tend to revert the following season. For instance, a team that both scores and allows 350 points in a year, but goes 10-6, is very likely to do less well the following year; a team that scores and allows 350 points, but goes 6-10, is likely to improve markedly in the win column. Measured against that is the fact that the Colts had a tougher schedule, but I don't see the Colts as markedly better than the Bears, and there have certainly been worse Super Bowl teams than both. The Colts squeaked out some close ones early in the year, and got home field when it mattered, against New England. They probably weren't the best team in the AFC, but they were hot when it counted. The Bears played a lot better early in the year than later, and had some big injuries on defense. Losing Benson early in the Super Bowl didn't help them, either. There's a reason they only lost 4 games, though.

Of course, I'd trade either of them, player for player, for MY team, the Raiders, whose season ended in about September...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
jimi2040
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
62 Posts

Profile of jimi2040
Just wondering... (because I don't live in America...)
Is this super bowl an American Football league?

Sung
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
The Colts are much better than the Bears. I think they would beat them 10 times out of 10. The Bears only lost 4 games, but they play in one of, if not THE weakest divison in football. Six of their sixteen games were against the Packers, Lions and Vikings.(16 wins combined). They had a weak schedule all around. They won't have a weak schedule next year and thier own division will improve. They stumbled into the playoffs barely beating the Tampa Bay, Detroit and losing to the Packers. The went to OT against Seattle at home in the Championship.

That's the beauty of it all though. The numbers don't really matter, there is no need to speculate, they actually played a game yesterday. The Bears played the Colts and even with a kick return for a TD, 3 take aways of thier own and playing a dome team in the rain, they got waxed. Didn't even come close to covering the spread. BLOWN OUT. Dominated by one of the worst defenses to ever make it to the Superbowl.

Losing Benson didn't help them, but then again, what was Benson going to do? The Colts barely let the Bears offense on the field, and the mighty Bears couldn't get Payton and company off the field. The Colts absolutely controlled the game and controlled the Bears.

No matter how you slice it, the Bears got whipped them on both sides of the ball. And they didn't come close to covering the spread. The odds makers knew exactly who was putting down the money. It was a bunch of homers drinking Blue and Orange Kool aid, that's what drove that spread. I don't believe the "vast majority" of pros were taking the Bears and the points. But if that were truly the case, The "vast majority of pros" were just stupid, that's all.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-02-05 16:39, jimi2040 wrote:
Just wondering... (because I don't live in America...)
Is this super bowl an American Football league?

Sung

Yes, The National Football League. American Football.
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Quote:
On 2007-02-05 14:21, Vandy Grift wrote:
I was very surprised at how little Chicago ran, and how well the Colts were able to run. It was supposed to be the other way around.

I agree that the Bears gave up on the run too early. They didn't have to put the game in Grossmans hands when they were only down 5 points with 11 minutes left. But Rex is the man, so they put it on his shoulders. I wouldn't trust my Superbowl life to Rex Grossman, but hey, what do I know?

Hey, Vandy, you forgot that during that time, Peyton also posed for his photograph as he accepted the game MVP award.

And the Bears defense didn't know if they were coming or going. They got outplayed, outcoached, and completely schooled. Tank Johnson is completely overrated, and that fearsome defense (Ha,Ha) put NO pressure on Manning. I think I saw Manning drop back, stop to have his picture taken, sign a few autographs, then make a sandwich and eat it before the Bears front line got anywhere near him on one play.

I hope Lovie Smith dosen't do anything silly like let somebody else compete for the QB position next year. Stay defiant Lovie!
"Go Browns!"
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Being technology challenged, Vandy, I tried to do a copy of part of your message and respond to it, but it actually ended up in the quote in the post above...my comment was:

Hey, Vandy, you forgot that during that time, Peyton also posed for his photograph as he accepted the game MVP award.

You can just call me the Rex Grossman of cut, paste, and quote.

And give Lobowolf credit- no not for the insights, but for admitting he is a Raiders fan!
"Go Browns!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Whos going to the Super Bowl? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL