The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why can't we be friends? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
My wife rolls her eyes whenever I refer to an on-line acquaintance as a "friend". I feel closer to some of these people, than to ones I've met in the flesh. Do on-line "friends" need a disclaimer or quotation marks? Or can they just be friends?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Maybe it is a wife thing...

My wife does the same thing, or at least she used to. I have her better trained now. And yes I feel I know some of the Café members and others on line well enough to call them friends.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Online friends has a certain amount of anonimity you can't find on friends you've met eye to eye. You can't see their flaws, smell them, lol, and watch how they walk and move. Some online people may be hiding this or that, but, nevertheless, they could be your friends as long as they don't do anything mad and bad at you.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
As a certified Hermit, if I have no online friends, I have no friends. As it is I have many on line friends and they are good ones. They stay put and don't bug me in 'real'.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I belong to another board that deals with a historical criminal case. Last year, one of the longtime members, a vivacious, intelligent mother of six married to a prominent dentist was discovered to be, in reality, a male with a criminal record.

"She" had exchanged Christmas cards and gifts with other members and had even spoken to a few on the phone!

So we really don't know who any of these folks might be.

Josh the Superfluous might, in fact, be Doug Higley.

Beware.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Quote:
On 2007-01-21 18:14, CJRichard wrote:

Josh the Superfluous might, in fact, be Doug Higley.

Beware.

Ahahahhaha...hmmmmm....

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Josh is in fact NOT Doug Higley. Nor am I in anyway superfluous and never have been though I have been known TO Josh on occasion...and I do know Josh (but not in a Biblical way) from his thrice daily emails to my spam account that I am positive I do not send to myself.

Hope that helps. Now stay away! (rattles a handfull of bones and feathers)

By the way...all of Josh's eMails originate in Northern China.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

But notice how we never post at exactly the same time? Even I have been suspicious of our separate identities.

Doug, If you are me, stay away from my wife or I'll kill you/me.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."- Sherlock Homes

One of you is an evil alien twin, the other an already rumored robot.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Looking at Josh's Robotic appearing avatar I thought I knew...but then he is merely a Robot posing as a Vent Figure...which leaves me as Vinnies lost brother as he has claimed and you Eddie cut from the same Joshua Tree as...dare I say it?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
So far I've met five of my friends from the Café: live, not a picture.

All have proven to be, insofar as I can tell, no different from what I was led to expect from our on-line encounters, at least in the characteristics of species, sex, general appearance, cleanliness, and manners.

I'm batting 1.000.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

My experience has been the same S2000 (Sorry guys, Al Angello isn't a hot chick). I would think that impostors on the web, would tend to be impostors in real life. Yes, the web is easier. But in all relationships you have a risk with the way people present themselves. (Ask Eddie Murphy)

I did have one experience with someone pretending to be an undercover cop. He turned out to be a 14 year old girl. Imagine my surprise, when I showed up at her house with a box of doughnuts and pictures from a hunting trip.

The strange thing is, my wife accepts them as friends after I have met them, no mater how briefly. How many senses need to be involved for a friendship to be valid? I have a diminished sense of smell. Although I met Ron Jaxon, I didn't smell him and he didn't hear me. Would this be less of a friendship? At the same magic convention, I sat in a bar for an hour talking to a toothless horse farmer (it took three tries for him to get that fact across to me). We got along, but I wouldn't call him a friend.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Friends Without Faces

We sit and we type and we stare at our screens,
We can't help but wonder what all of this means.
With mouse in hand ...we roam through this maze,
On an infinite search...lost in a daze.

We chat with each other, we type all our woes
At times we'll band together to gang up on our foes.
We wait for somebody, to type out our name
We want recognition, but it is always the same.

Soon friendships are formed - but - why we don't know,
But some of these friendships, will flourish and grow.
We give kisses and hugs, and sometimes we'll flirt,
In IMs we chat deeply, and reveal why we hurt.

Why is it on screen, we are so easily bold,
Telling our secrets, that have never been told.
The answer is simple, it is as clear as a bell,
We all have our problems, and need someone to tell.

We can't tell real people, but tell someone we must
So we turn to our 'puters ...and to those we can trust.
Even though it sounds crazy...the truth still remains,
Most of my "friends" have no faces...and odd little names.

~Rusty Black, ©1996

Dosen't get much gayer than that. But I think you can call someone a friend even if you haven't met them before. I've met 5 or 6 people from this forum (including Josh) and will be meeting another at the end of the month. In almost every case the person turned out to be pretty much what I expected, and in every case very nice people. Meeting them didn't shatter any illusions or anything. They turned out to be good folks and meeting them only made the online friendship better. The only real problem I've had with the guys I've been able to meet was that in most cases we didn't get to spend enough time together.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Josh
Thanks you for thinking of me. My wife is jealous of anything that competes with her for my time, and when she meets one of my friends she always says the same thing "are we going there to meet another one of those old man friend of yours".

Josh
Cyssa is a whole lot hotter than I am, just look at her avatar, and my friend Rannie has told me that she always smells good too.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Doug, wouldn't Vinny be your Godbrother?
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Josh, you are my friend. I just decided to call you so.
Never seen you before, but I like your posts.
Tell your wife.
And please send an answer whow I could explain everything to my wife about (I am thinking of YOU an ME) our relationship.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

I guess, if wives questions the validity of our friendships, we could ask if on-line sex chats with other women would be equally meaningless. Smile
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
I have a diminished sense of smell. Although I met Ron Jaxon, I didn't smell him and he didn't hear me. Would this be less of a friendship? At the same magic convention, I sat in a bar for an hour talking to a toothless horse farmer (it took three tries for him to get that fact across to me). We got along, but I wouldn't call him a friend.

What? You call me a friend and you didn't even buy me a beer? Smile Just kidding. It was a pleasure meeting you and I do consider you a friend.

Let me share a couple of stories that might shine some light on this. I told this first story in more detail in this discussion:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=66

But I'll share the basics here. I was at the Abbott's get together. I took first place in a couple of contests. Later that night someone broke into my tent and stole almost all my money. The fallowing night someone got me from the American Legion and took me over to Curly's (These are the two major night hang outs there a few doors away from each other). I didn't know what was going on but they got on the microphone and made the announcement to the entire bar. Then they gave me a collection of money they raised for me. I'm a regular at this convention but still that shows that the "brotherhood" does exist among magicians.

Another thing I'd mention is the fact that when I meet magicians that I've only known on line in person for the first time. It's usually not an atmosphere of, "I finally got to meet you". It's usually a feeling of, "Hey, how are you?". It's almost like we already know each other. That happened a lot last year when I went to my first WMS. When I first meet Steve Brooks for example it wasn't like I was meeting a stranger. It was a simple Hello hand shake and a conversation. That's how it works for me anyway. I guess maybe you have to below to something like magic to completely understand it.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Hey, I offered to buy you a beer but you declined. Of course I did mime it, you probably thought I was asking if you knew of any hookers in town. Smile

BTW I had no idea that was your tent. My bad.
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Ahem, Josh...
you are online here since noticeable time again.
Where is your wife, and what is she doing at the moment?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why can't we be friends? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL