The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why can't we be friends? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
What time is noticeable time?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
How many senses need to be involved for a friendship to be valid? I have a diminished sense of smell. Although I met Ron Jaxon, I didn't smell him and he didn't hear me. Would this be less of a friendship? ---

Mild anosmia (diminished sense of smell) may subject friendships into conflict once it is healed, specially, when the friend has unusual scents. Hehehe. Anyway, back to the topic...

First of all, the eyes are our main superficial judge. A woman, a wife, a girlfriend.. whoever she is, as long as she's a woman is VERY judgemental particular to those who are around her prospective mate. We could see this behavior pattern too, in animals. Anyway... off with women, eyes are our seeing orbs. Once we see something we don't like, we avoid it. Simple us that. Most might think that they don't judge people by the way they look. But take this: Who would you approach and talk with, an Olive Oyl look a like with braces and warts, or someone who'd look like uhm.. -insert a name of your favo actress here-? Of course, our eyes would be 'pleased' with the latter, and tendencies that we would approach our choice are high. It's human nature to avoid what they see is not fit for them.. Anyway, I was just proving that eyes, vision does a great part in friendship. In internet setting, this could be easily accessed by pictures. However, pictures may not be true... soo... webcam is the best option if you want to satisfy your visual 'cravings' lol

Next is hearing. How could you establish a connection if you can't hear anybody? Women, well, your wife for example, is very particular on sounds. A survey about american women concluded that women are often turned on, revoked, attracted, and pleasured by sounds, compared to men who are often provoked by visual stimulus. If your wife hears a sultry voice over the net, she may think you're up to something. If she hears a gruff, manly, and well, 'aged' voice speaking with you, she'd feel more secure. So I guess, when you're establishing online friends, she may have to see/hear them to actually think you're safe to mingle with them. Wives, by nature, are possessive. This could be done by voice chat, in net settings.

Next sense, is touch. By touch you would know the person is real, and not just a hollogram of some sort. Not an illussion. Well.. so far, no innovative technology had done this before.

Next is scent.. uhm next is taste (?) so on and so forth.

THe most important ones for establishing real life friendships are all, except taste, I guess. In online relations, this involves another: mental capacity of the person, their thoughts, sense of humor... the person's pesonality matters this time, and the vision and sound stimuli are put into a lower rank.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

I completely glazed over while reading Cyssa's post. Too girly for me. But I'll take it as another vote for it being a girl thing. If that's the case, I agree. They tend to notice hair styles, fragrances, clothes, etc.. If I ask a guy "What's that smell?", I'm trying to determine if there's a gas leak or an electrical fire.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 10:02, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
I completely glazed over while reading Cyssa's post. Too girly for me. But I'll take it as another vote for it being a girl thing. If that's the case, I agree. They tend to notice hair styles, fragrances, clothes, etc.. If I ask a guy "What's that smell?", I'm trying to determine if there's a gas leak or an electrical fire.

So, Sir Josh, what's that smell? lol I'm talking MAN here. Kidding.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10874 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Josh if Doug went back to his origional avatar he would be my twin.....
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Hagerman
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Hagerman
I totally see where Cyssa is going. Our bodies take many cues from nature. Smell deals with pheromones. Our noses are complicated chemical sensors. We are genetically programmed to seek out new, good genes using our senses. So when one says they have chemistry, they are not kidding. Our bodies detect so much information from our physical presence: body language, symmetry, speaking ability, wit and so forth. With online friends, our brains have to fill in the blanks.

There is one thing you get from online presences that is hard to get from nature: thought processes. You can get a good idea on how someone thinks from how and what they write, if they are true.

Good call Cyssa.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
All have proven to be, insofar as I can tell, no different from what I was led to expect from our on-line encounters, at least in the characteristics of species, sex, general appearance, cleanliness, and manners.

I never feel the need to explain my identity - to my eyes my avatar is self explanatory.

One (apparently former) member can't have seen what I see in my pic though. A Miss F******y D***e pmed to ask if I would comment on her costume. I happily agreed and she emailed me the pics of what must be a magic costume because the upper half was completely invisible. It was extremely well done - I could not see a single thread. She also suggested certain sapphic pursuits I am simply not cut out for.

I did keep the pics if anyone has a particular interest in invisible costumes.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Plastic, I believe I see your avatar the way you do. Perhaps she miscalled your interests because she couldn't smell you. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why can't we be friends? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL