The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Invisible Thread Reel...What is the best? Please help. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
And in terms of breaking thread in the middle of the routine check this out:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?hn=1

Hope that helps.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I have heard nothing but good about the sorcorer brand kevlar reels. If I was to buy a reel, I would buy one of those.

They have also gone down signifigantly in price, too.
-Matt
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Yes they are not bad but I just love how the pen releases and retracts the thread. Soooo smooth
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
471 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Well I just rec'd my spider pen after a long wait and I am so disappointed. For one, it said that the battery was included. Well I had no battery. Well luckily I ordered some. Well one of the batteries had acid coming out of it, so they are probably really old. I called. http://www.penguinmagic.com and they said they'd send some new ones at no charge. So I was ok. Then I put at battery in, careful to put it in the correct way and pulled out the thread and pushed the button....and...nothing. Didn't work at all. Every now and then it will pop on for a second but I had to wind it up myself so I could put it away. I am hoping its just the batteries but I think its the pen. I will find out tonight when I get another new battery. (I'v tried 2 batteries from the 6 I rec'd)

Is there something I am missing and the pen works? Or did I just get a bad one?

Marc
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Mine worked a few days and died. I changed the batteries, changed the reel, never could get it to work again. I tossed the thing.
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
273 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
If you really want he easiest ITR to deal with then you might call the nice folks over at Sorcery and see if you can still get a pager reel.

Is Sorcery in some sort of financial difficulty? They are currently posting 'questions' to all eBay listings for Invisible Thread Reels that trash sellers and advertise for Sorcery ITRs.

it appears to me classless at first glance.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
Part, a very small part, of the story can be seen here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......7&20

There is a lot that's happened behind the scenes over the last 15+ years but I believe that Sorcery is still trying to recover from some mistakes after their early success.

I do hope they recognize that innovation was what led to their initial succes and build their product line instead of trying to be the only manufacturer of elastic band based reels. That hasn't been the case since Mark Allen put out the Thread Manager and the field has only gotten more crowded since then.

Dave
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Thread work is what I consider "High-Wire Magic" (pun intended).

It's stunning in the right environment, but there are very few of those in the normal magic enthusiast's working life. You have to have a specific variety of lighting, dark backgrounds, and the right sort of manure presentation to pull it off.

But I've done it, both with the Spider Pen (personal fave) and Loops (which I make myself from elastic thread off a spool.

It's great when it works! Keep working at it!

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Speaking of spider pen's I heard they are poorly built. Is that still the case?

http://www.phrets.com/spdrpen/
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
IMHO they are cheaply made.

The first spider pen I ordered was broken right out of the package. I returned it and they replaced it no questions asked, but I don't think they are particularly well made, and the people I know who actually use them have two - as an earlier post suggests, you need two to keep one running.

I have not yet had the patients to use it. IT work requires a tremendous commitment of time an patience. Granted, the payoff is there, but you really have to dedicate yourself to this specfic branch of close up magic and stick with it.

Personally I prefer the "low tech" approach and use the Jon LeClair hookup. He has an excellent book, DVD and website. Anyone who has at least one ear can do is equipped to use the hook up.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

It's true that they are poorly made and I would pay a little more if they would be made out of metal or a stronger plastic material. Nevertheless I am happy with the pen and reel. I always perform at a distance between 10-15 feet from the anchor.
I remove the batteries after each performance.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Hi Marc,

now you know why I have two of them.

Jim
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
I've bought several of the "cheapie" thread reels and was not pleased at all. The price was great but the quality was REALLY bad. I also have the spider pen which is pretty good but the quality on the one I have is not so good. After only a few uses, and I AM careful with my reels, the clip broke off, the top cap fell off and then the motor quit. I may get another one in the future if they can make one a little more durable. My current favorites are the Thread Boss from Sorcery and the Thread Manager Generation II by Mark Allen. These are quality thread reels. I was using my TMG 2 the other day floating a dollar for a co-worker. I was right up in his face, maybe 1 or 2 feet from him and he was blown away. Actually so was I because I couldn't see the thread either and I knew it was there!
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
Sabrina
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
94 Posts

Profile of Sabrina
I know a magician in Dallas that made a private line of thread reels for magicians until Sorcery sent him a lawyer's letter to cease and decist. They were far better operation than even the decent quality Sorcery ones. Had a nice retraction feel. Still had the pain of disassembly and reassembly though. Sucking quickly through the hole worked most of the time for me...just wasn't something you could do at the table without people wondering. The other tip to try if you can't use suction to get the thread is to take a needle threader like they sell in the sewing notions (loop of small gauge wire) and wiggle it in through the hole to free up the end and do the suction method.

I got a spider pen and even though it worked out of the package, it was unreliable between uses. Even if I unscrewed the battery compartment, the battery would usually be dead the next time I tried it. Taking the battery out completely seemed to be the only way. I'm thinking of making myself a metal version with a better switch and battery compartment...maybe one that uses AAA batteries.

Anyone have or know anything the Ultimate Float Controller? Not sure who makes it or sells it. I think I saw it on some Japan Magic store website with videos. It seemed to be an advancement in the technology of (non-computer) IT.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

I heard from a reliable source that the UFC is not that eay to operate plus you get a wobble when the anchor is 10-15 feet away. Sean Bogunia is working on a 3D Invisible PTS at the moment.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 20:17, randirain wrote:
Glad to have helped.

For all out there...
Here is a link to the thread I am talking about.
This is to Mak magic, and they do not sell to the public.
But just to let you know what you would be looking for...
http://www.makmagic.com/product.asp?prodid=P4262

I know you can get this stuff some how.
A friend of mine, an old man that used to give me stuff all the time, gave me a whole spool of this stuff.
I don't know what it's called, where he got it, or what.
But it's as strong as kevlar and more invisible.

Randi

Hi Randi,
Great website!
The thread you're thinking of might be Vectran which is a high performance themoplastic said to be 5 times stronger than steel and 10 times stronger than aluminum. I have some on order (100 ft multifilament) and will be testing it shortly. It sounds like each fibre is about 5 denier in thickness. I'm interested in the fact that it's said to be significantly stronger than Kevlar. But, like Kevlar, there is no give to this stuff. It virtually doesn't stretch. I can see changing over my Kennedy reels to this stuff. How it will be under various lighting conditions remains to be seen.

Wish me luck!
Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Invisible Thread Reel...What is the best? Please help. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL