The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Which Applebees? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
This is VERY true however if you get in with a corporate restaurant, chances are they you will be able to get into other locations very easily. Fortunately or unfortunately this has been one of the biggest factors of my success.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Talk about a slap in the face. One of the restaurants that is on my “approach list” is the Applebee’s in my area. My wife is the Vice Pres of the PTA at our kid’s school. When she told me that they were planning a fund raiser there, this made me very happy. My though was, I’ll perform for FREE at this fundraiser to help the PTA (what a nice guy I am) and at the same time I’ll showcase my talents to the management. I would absolutely KILL and talk to the GM shortly thereafter. So far…………… so what.

The person in charge of the PTA fundraiser called Applebee’s and EVERY manager that she talked to said that they were excited to have me. I’m in like Flynn riiiight? Wrong. Keep reading peeps.

So my idea was to use this PTA fundraiser as a crutch to get into Applebee’s. Although it is taught to NOT contact the GM’s on the weekends, I knew what time he’d be in on Sat. (I did my homework) and I thought it’d be ok to call him and “touch basis” about the big event coming up. I told him that I wanted to come in and talk to him about the fundraiser to give him an idea of what I do.

To paraphrase, and I am making him sound MUCH nicer here:

Me: Hi, this is Jim the magician and I was wondering if I could come in today and talk to you about the PTA event that I am involved in on the 22nd.
Him: What do you want to talk about?
Me: I just wanted to introduce myself and give you an idea of what I’d be doing for you.
Him: Well, I don’t know about that. We’ve never done this before.
Me: Oh really, Jennifer (PTA chick) told me that she spoke to several of your managers and that they were all ‘Excited” about me.
Him: I will need to talk to Jennifer about this. I don’t know what our liabilities are here. Like, where do you set up, what you do. There will be some of our guests there as well.
Me: I understand but I can tell you more about what I do than Jennifer can. I’ve been doing this for over 17 years.
Him: I know you are probably good but I need to talk to Jennifer.
Me: Ok, I’ll talk to Jennifer and have her call you.
Him: Ya… have her call me.

So I called Jennifer and she assured me that she spoke to several OTHERS at the restaurant and that they are all very excited to see me. Apparently, she didn’t think to ask for the GM.

I really thought that I had a shoe in because of the PTA but I guess I am wrong. I still plan on doing the fundraiser on the 22nd. and KILLING. The next day I will call Richardhead MC Downer to let him know how well it went and see if can negotiate something. What a bummer of a day. Talk about taking the wind out of your sails.

My whole point of this post is not to ask for advice or ask a question. I merely wanted to vent. If you have a comment or suggestion to add, please do so. If you have nothing but negative criticism for me, let me know and I will PayPal you a Quarter so you can call someone who cares.

Thanks for reading.

JIM
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Sounds like the GM is a Jacka** to me. I'm not sure how easy it would be work for this guy even if you did manage to get him to agree to some kind of agreement. I mean "What are his liabilities going to be"? Does he think you're going to be fire eating or something? If you are determined to still try and sell this guy, I'd write a press release for Jennifer (the PTA chick) to submit to the local press about your appearance. I've never seen a business yet that hated free publicity. Good luck. I'll be anxious to hear about this guy's reaction to you on the 23rd.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
He did sound like a real jerk on the phone. He sounded almost irritated that I was even calling him.
His other managers all said that they were excited to have me there. Why this jerk has a problem, I will never know. He doesn't get it. I am gong to perform for FREEEEE for his guests in his restaurant. I think the "Don't know my liabilities" thing was just a tap dance.

I plan on ding this gig and kicking some serious donkey. I'll make him take notice. GRRRR!!!!!!!!
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
You sound like a bit of a drama queen... Of course he in concerned about his store and some unknown guy talking about "what he is doing for you"

Not everyone likes magic or knows the upside, I cant believe you are getting upset because a business owner has issues with a completely unknown factor bullying his way into his business.

You can paypal me that quarter any time....
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
"bullying his way into his business". Are you serious? Apparently you didn't read the whole post. Go back and do that now....go ahead...I'll wait......better? I'm not "bullying" myself anywhere. I'm donation my time for my kids PTA. But then again...you saw that..riiiight? Smile

I'm not ticked. Just a little put off by his attitude, that's all. I guess I forgot to add all the little Smile's to let you all know that I wasn't super ticked. My bad. Smile

PS..I'm not sending you jack! LOL
mustlovemagic
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of mustlovemagic
In my opinion, if I was the GM, I'd feel like you were some outsider going around the PTA person. Sounds to me like this is a "free, self serving, yea I'm doing this for my kids, but I'd like you to hire me later" kind of thing. It makes you look unprofessional. If you really did that phone approach with those words about "what I'd be doing for you" I could see how he took you as an arrogant salesperson and probably was waiting for some sales pitch or financial commitment.

Then, you go on and use poor Jennifer, by saying that she's spoken to all of his managers and that they were "excited" about you. That's a no win situation. So now, (hypothetically) he hangs up and goes on a witch hunt to find out which of his managers are talking to some PTA person about a magician. Then finds out that no one will fess up to saying anything because now it's been turned into a negative. Then the GM approaches Jennifer and she is uncomfortable about the whole situation.

So...In my opinion, you could have just waited and let you talent, if you have any, speak for itself after the event. Win them over with actions not a pre-mature phone call.

I know...perhaps you could get an application while you're there. Surely, that would get your foot in the door. Thankfully, I see that PTA hasn't changed. It's filled with parents that are more concerned with how PTA will help them, than their kids.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Ok, let me dissect your post paragraph by paragraph. Smile

1. They way I said it to him was like I was informing him of what I would be doing in his restaurant. I didn't make it seem like I was there for his benefit only. I really didn't pitch him while I was on the phone with him. Heck, I didn't have much time. LOL

2. "Poor Jennifer" is setting this whole thing up. She had to call and talk to the managers to set a date and time as well as handle all the details. Her problem is that she didn't think to talk to the GM. Every time she called, she got a different manager. In her defense, this is a new school and this is the first time they have done this. So fess up or not...the PTA is going to be there that day from 11AM to about 9 PM...with or without me. Smile

3. Very true, I could have waited until that night and I had seriously considered waiting until the next day. I am glad I didn't though. He knew nothing about this fund raiser and I ...no..no..WE...would have felt REALLY silly if I had shown up and Mr. GM had a problem with the Magician Idea. At least now we have time to iron things out.

4. I know this last one was an attempt at putting me down but you have to come at me harder than this. Unlike most on this board, magic is my full time job. I haven't had a "real job" since 1992 and for that I feel blessed. It makes me feel good to be able to support a mortgage, wife, 2 kids, 4 rabbits and 4 doves each month Smile so no... I will not be asking for an application any time soon. Smile

Allow me to educate you on how this PTA fundraiser works since it is obvious you have never been involved in one. See... the PTA advertises that they are having a fundraiser at this restaurant and that a percentage of the sales go to the school. The money that is raised from the PTA goes to everything from Field trips to Assemblies etc. Hey, they have even hired me to do 2 shows at the beginning of March So YES...the money benefits the kids as well. I have no idea what makes you think that the PTA is only thinking about themselves and not the kids.

Then again it sounds to me like you have this all figured out. BTW... are you involved in your kids PTA as well? Smile

Hey listen, I'm not here to argue with anyone. If your above post wasn't meant as a jab, then I apologize for talking it that way. No harm, no foul.

If it was...then shame on you. Don't you have better things to do than to create such a negative post for such a new user?

JIM
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Are you kidding me Daegs and Mustlovemagic? I can't believe either of you have the nerve to talk to Jim the way you are talking. Jim is a full time pro who cares enough about his business to ask others what he should do in a tricky situation. You two come back at him with insults and smart remarks.

Look at the both of you, hiding behind your cute little screen names. You should both be ashamed of yourselves for your behavior. Jim is just trying to get a little feed back, and he did it in a nice way. Daegs, I have read your posts over the years and didn't expect this "drama" from you. Mustlovemagic, grow up...

You both need to get off your high horse. I would bet money you two are "arm chair magicians". Maybe not, but do you have any credentials to back your opinions up or will you continue to hide behind a screen name?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Hart -I agree with you. I don't get the combative tone of their posts.

A staement like "You could have just waited and let your talent, if you have any, speak for itself after the event" is good for one thing - to make someone mad.

Why?
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Ya...I don't understand all the negativity either. Maybe it's just their style. To each his own I guess. Smile
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Jim,I commend you for doing the fundraiser,and I totally understand your trying to enhance your opportunities for turning it into a steady gig.
Had you connected with a more communicative GM you probably wouldn't have been dismayed.

In my experience GM's and Owner's can be some of the moodiest folk's on earth...one week they greet you with a big smile and hello,and the next week they look at you like they barely recognige you.Smile I have learned to take them grain of salt...and realize their mood has nothing to do me or my service,but probably other pressures.
Best of luck with your endeavor. Smile

Rich
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Jim did exactly what I would have done. He extended the GM a courtesy visit to discuss arrangements with him for the PTA visit. I believe this showed considerable professionalism...which comes as no surprise from Jim, by the way. Unfortunately, Jim ran into one of our proprietary, suspicious GM types and the courtesy quickly went downhill.

I can't think of a thing you could have done differently, Jim. Once the GM took that stance against you, it was pretty much out of your hands. Don't let it throw you. I hope he makes himself available to see your work...THAT will sell your services quicker than anything. Break a leg!!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Thanks for the nice comments guys, I appreciate them.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
I can't believe either of you have the nerve to talk to Jim the way you are talking.

The only thing I "said" to Jim was that his post sounded like he was being a drama queen which I still believe to be true in this specific case... the rest of the post was about the GM's reaction.

Why do you need nerve to call someone a drama queen? It's not even entirely negative, just an observation, its not like I said he was a bad magician or even was bad at anything at all.

Furthermore, what is the logic behind not being able to comment on something unless you are successful at something.

Should we fire all movie critics and put a free-speech ban on anyone from discussing movies because they haven't directed blockbusters themselves and therefore are unqualified to judge whether the movie was any good?

Does it really make a different whether or not I'm even a magician at all to judge whether or not someone sounded like a drama queen in a single post?

I can just picture a scene where an audience is telling a magician he isn't very good, and him saying "Well lets see you do a pass before you can comment on my effects"..... crazy

And what high horse? Re-read what I posted, I commented on why the GM was reacting the way he did, what part of my post is being on a "high horse"?

I'm glad you thing my screen name is cute, but I'm not ashamed and I think you should think and re-read a little before trying to bash other posters in an obvious over-reaction.

-daegs
ps please send me a picture of yourself and credentials before replying to this post as I want to verify your real identity as well as I need to make sure your a successful magician before reading your post.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Daegs...in your Postscript, your attempt at sarcam is grossly overshadowed by your ignorance in not seeing that Hart Keene does indeed have a website with pictures posted as his signature at the end of every post:
http://www.hartkeene.com

Kevin

P.S. Sorry to be Captain Obvious
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
So here's the Applebees update. I talked to both Jennifer and the PTA pres. and told them of my road bump. The Pres. called and talked to yet ANOTHER manager...who assured her that she "has the say so" in this matter. LOL!!!! When the pres. called me and informed me of this I told her "Noooooo.. you need to talk to MR. GM...he specifically told me that he needed to talk to Jennifer about me". So the Pres. called back and talked to this other manager and made her call MR.GM.(This is fun) to ask about his concerns. He only wanted me to perform for the PTA's guests. He didn't want his guests to feel obligated if they didn't want to see my magic(this is proof that he has never worked with a professional restaurant magician before Smile). Oh, and he wanted me to say out of the kitchen. The pres assured her that I am a professional who does this full time and that I don't solicit tips and that I know how to handle a table that isn't interested in the magic.

OY VEIGH!!

I'm just going to go....do my thaaaang and see what happens. At this point I have no expectations other than I will do the great job that I always do.

Thanks for reading. Smile
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Kevin, the postscript was for *anyone* replying to my post... Hart's website is in his sig visible with each of his post, of course I was aware of it.

And GL with the gig and everything, I don't see why this was blown out of proportion, but good luck with it. I think you should however be less quick to belittle a GM just because he doesn't know the ins and outs of professional magicians, his concerns are very normal, it isn't his fault if he has had bad experiences or no experiences with magicians before.

Let us know how it goes
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Daegs,
I just went back and reread my post just above yours. It DID come off as me being really ticked. It's hard to show the real expression on a silly message board. I should have written that a little different. I in fact was not and am not ticked at his reactions. I found him odd yes, but defiantly nothing to lose sleep over. I have been turned down by nicer GM's than him. As a matter of fact, just today, a GM that I have been trying to meet with for the past 2 weeks told me that the owner doesn't like the concept of magic, even though she hasn't met me in person or has seen what I have to offer. I made the mistake of showing the girl at the counter a few things while waiting for her to NOT show up at our scheduled meeting last week. I can either let this eat at me or just blow it off as "just business". I choose to do the later.

Bottom line is.... this particular GM at Applebees seemed a bit odd, but that's cool. He is one of a thousand restaurants in my area.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-02-13 18:38, Daegs wrote:
[

ps please send me a picture of yourself and credentials before replying to this post as I want to verify your real identity as well as I need to make sure your a successful magician before reading your post.

*lol*

Anyway, I wouldn't consider him a "drama queen", just someone who is passionate about what they do. We should thank Jim for giving us a glimpse into the things he deals with on a daily basis. Maybe you are in the wrong forum daegs.

You still commented on the "drama", didn't you? So it obviously had some merit. Or do you just like seeing yourself post? By the number of your posts that could very well be the case...

Anyway, back on topic.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Which Applebees? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL