The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Which Applebees? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
You still commented on the "drama", didn't you? So it obviously had some merit.

Stop trying to put words in my mouth, I never said it didn't have any merit, nor did I comment on its merit at all.

Yes I like seeing myself post, as does everyone here who isn't trying to sell something. What is the alternative, NOT liking to see yourself post? Why would anyone post then if no one liked doing so? Are you saying its a bad thing to like posting???

I'm all for getting back on topic for this post, so if you have any further insults or snide remarks please do them via PM instead of taking up this thread, and if you do keep posting in this thread then stop putting words in my mouth, thank you.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Jim,

Once again, I'm sure you'll do great. Just go there and do your thing! Who knows, it might be a pleasant surprise for the GM...

But only time will tell. Smile

Best,
Steve
aiki
View Profile
Regular user
Middletown NY
181 Posts

Profile of aiki
Jim,

Do not give up on the GM. Now is the time to start to get him on your side before the show. We know the show will be the convincer. How about taking a copy of your insurance and stop off to see him. Remind him that you are a professional performer and wanted to make sure he had a copy of your work insurance for his files. Then after the show approach the GM about work. You have already established that you are a professional and the show went great, it should be a much better sell.
Ray K.

Till we meet again!
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Hey aiki,
My plan is to KILL that night, be soooper nice to the management and staff (MR. GM will probably not be there as most GM's work days), getting them on my side, then calling HIM shortly thereafter for a follow up.

They have had balloon people there in the past but I am pretty sure that he/they haven't worked with a professional entertainer before.

We'll see how it goes. Smile

JIM
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Does that mean you don't consider balloon twisters to be professional entertainment? I perform a combination of magic and balloons at my restaurants and consider myself 100% professional.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Derrick,
No...sorry..that came out worng..AGAIN. Most of the "twisters" are just that..."twisters". As you know, some restaurants will hire an agency to just "twist" balloons. They will hire college students and pay them $10 bucks an hour plus tips. Unlike you and I who are multi talented, most of these individuals have no entertainment value whatsoever. Take away the balloons and they have nothing. I hope I cleared my statement up. Smile

I, like you, used to do magic and balloons but ended up doing more balloons at the tables than magic so I stopped. I used to be really good. I could make a worm. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20382 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I want to say 2 things.

First this got really out of hand and off topic and everyone mad and all without my help!

Nice to see you guys can get all goofy with no help from yours truly.

Second of all, balloon twisters are a form of entertainment. I have seen guys who twist balloons who I would hire long before many table hoppers I have met.
To find a bad balloon twister, is just as easy as finding a bad magician. I have seen MANY supposed magicians who buy an invisible deck, and a TT and suddenly are table hopping.

THEY also have no entertainment value. So in the end, I believe that it is the individual person, NOT the meduium they choose to use.

Get back to your regularly scheduled fight.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
As always...spot on Danny. I agree that there are good balloon twisters and bad table hoppers. I have seen both. The twisters that I am referring to have taken my jobs many times because they are $10 bucks an hour. I have visited the very restaurant that I have been bumped from to see these kids only to be frustrated with what I saw. They would walk up to the table and ask my kids if they would like a balloon then proceed to make them a balloon.....that's it.

On the flip side, I have friends who just do balloons who are awesome entertainers.

Soooooo...basically what you said. Smile

BTW, we weren't arguing. A couple of guy took a shot at me a couple of days ago but I am thinkking....no..no..HOPING that it has died down. I have no interest in fighting on here. This is supposed to be fun.

JIM
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I agree with you about sometimes having to do more balloons than magic. It doesn't happen to me every night, but it does happen now and then. Last night was the worst case of too many balloons and not enough magic that I have experienced in a long time. Unfortunately there is no going back once people expect both. I performed Anniversary Waltz once and made what seemed like a thousand Valentine balloon animal thingy hat whatevers. It didn't matter as long as it had a heart on it. I had to escape the restaurant because kids and adults alike wouldn't leave until they got one.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Sooooo..I had my big night last night at Applebees. As you may recall, I donated a couple of hours for my kids PTA fund raiser. Apparently, I was a huge drawl. I got there right on time and there was already a 30 minute wait just to be seated. The minute I walked in, the MOD told me that people were already done eating and waiting for me. OY VEIGH! This wasn't a good sign.

To make a long story short, I ended up doing speed magic all night TRYING (key word here is trying) to keep everyone happy. I couldn't move fast enough. I don't like doing speed magic because I didn't get much time to shine and really impress the guests. Impressing the guests and getting bookings was one of my main goals last night. I got a lot of great responses and the PTA pres. emailed me and told me what a great job I did. Heck, even the MOD told me I did well.

Even though I was a huge drawl, making the PTA and the restaurant lot's of $$, I don't think I will be contacting Mr. GM anytime soon (as much as I know that I could really click in the restaurant), due to his attitude the first and last time we spoke.

What do you guys think??

JIM
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
In my honest opinion based on the information YOU provided...

You showed up LATE. Showing up right ON time, given the situation with the GM is LATE. ON time, when you need to probably see the MOD first is LATE, ON time when I'm sure you don't walk in the door and right to the first table is LATE.

Attitude is everything they say. Going in that first night getting bookings as one of your main goals, was not the right attitude if you wanted to get a repeat gig at this particular restaurant. One seems contadictory to the other given the situation with the GM.

IMHO given these details.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Living Illusions,
Let me clarify.
I arrived 10 minutes early. The first thing I did was ask for a MOD. I introduced myself and he knew who I was right away. I actually did my first table 10 minutes early...I was fine on the time.

As far as my attitude. I've been doing restaurants since 1992, I know the biz. I knew that the GM probably wouldn't be there as most GM's worked during the day.

My reasoning for going there wanting to impress and get the private gigs is 1. That's what restaurant workers do, 2. because of my recent conversation with the GM, knowing he wasn't to up on the idea of having a restaurant magician and 3. I was performing for FREE and wasn't pushing for tips. Basically I needed to make this night worth my while as well as do a good job for the PTA.

I know that my ONLY chance of getting this gig as a repeat was to impress the pants off the MOD's and have them put in a good word. I didn't have time to do this because I was on the go since I step foot in the door. I hope I clarified.

So IMHO, I did it right. I am just looking for advice as to weather I should pursue the restaurant for a repeat gig given my experience with the GM.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I would just move on Jim. There are a ton of restaurants in your area that I'm sure would love to have you. If that GM is acting the way he did now, imagine working with the jerk.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I did not initially comment,because I just knew Jim would never would show up exactly at the pre-arranged start time.
By the way[especially newbies take note]...it's good to get in the habit of arriving early at ALL gigs.I once had to let a young performer[assisting me at a busy restaurant] go because he alway's showed up right on time or a little late.
For all my restaurants,I arrive 10-15 min.early.It shows management that you take what you do very seriously,and it is nice not to have to rush into thing's[Zen] Smile.
Jim,I think Harte's point is well taken.However,I personally would approach the GM one more time.[try to find out when he is definitely going to be present].Give it a shot! Nothing to lose.
I remember one time when I didn't follow up,and later discovered they had hired another performer.

All the best.

Rich
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 14:47, Hart Keene wrote:
I would just move on Jim. There are a ton of restaurants in your area that I'm sure would love to have you. If that GM is acting the way he did now, imagine working with the jerk.

Ya know Hart, that's exactly what I was thinking. Do I really wanna work for him if he has that attitude? I've been turned down by GM's in the past but this guy was a real jerk about it.

Rich, maybe I'll just wait till he moves on and approach the new GM. Smile

JIM
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
296 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
I have gone to all of the applebes in my area and all but one said no. The other ne is wanting to come in and start this fall. Have you found that applebees gm are punks. They all seem like that to me. One tld me that applebees around the country do not let magicians or like she said magic boys to come in and do tricks. GRRGRGRGRGRGR. I did not know what your thought on something like this was.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
That's kinda funny Matt. There are several on this board who perform there. Apparently she is the spokesperson for all the locations. LOL

Yes..I did find even the MOD's to be a bit on the jerky side. They tried to tell me how to do my job when I was there for the PTA. You can't convince all GM's, just move on. Smile
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
There are bound to be dozens of restaurants/managers/owners that are more receptive. It's too bad you've wasted this much time and effort. Find a good restaurant across the street or next door and draw away their crowd.
Brady
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
235 Posts

Profile of Brady
Derrick,

I like your attitude! I once had a job from which I was wrongly fired. I went a block away to a business that had been my main competitor and was hired immediately. I can't tell you how much satisfaction I got every day as I snatched sales and customers from my former employer.

Brady
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-02-26 17:13, derrick wrote:
There are bound to be dozens of restaurants/managers/owners that are more receptive. It's too bad you've wasted this much time and effort. Find a good restaurant across the street or next door and draw away their crowd.

This is the 3rd. restaurant in the little center of 4 that has turned me down. I'm running out of neighbors. Oh well. I'll keep looking. LOL Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Which Applebees? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL