The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Which Applebees? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Brady,

I worked for a local restaurant chain for over 10 years. On the last week of December 03 the manager walked up to me and said a corporate decision has been made to cut entertainment. Here is you last check. Then he adds, oh, if you'd like to work in trade we can work something out. I told him thanks but no thanks and that was it. I had no warning, no thank you for a job well done even though I had worked at the restaurant years longer than any other employee currently employed - including the GM. I now work within a couple of miles of this restaurant's location and a 10th of a mile from the its second location in town.

I write this because about three months ago I had the gratifying experience of having this GM visit one of my restaurants while I was performing. While there was no wait when he arrived, we had a 20 minute wait before he left - on a Tuesday.

That was a good night.

Derrick
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Brady,
Good job man. He probably wasn't paying attention but if he was, he's probably kicking himself I the butt for letting you go. Smile

On a side note.... they just built a brand new sports bar in my area. My wife and I went there yesterday and it was AWESOME!!! Top notch, even for a sports bar. I want to pitch it but there is only 1 problemo (that's French for Problem Smile )....... Maximum capacity is only 109!!!! ONE HUNDRED and NINE. Do you guys think it's too small to approach? It's just a small little place (in a strip mall),,,in a REALLY good neighborhood...that is top notch. Everything from the food to the silverware to the 16 (17 if you count the one just above the mens urinals) flat screen TV's is all high quality.

"Deal...or No deal???" Smile
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I'd go for it. 109 isn't great, but if you think you could get a gig there, and get paid well, why not.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Sorry...the above post was to DERRICK...not BRADY...my bad. LOL

Josh,, I am seriously thinking about it. It's a really nice place in a really nice location. I got one of the owners card and it has his email addy on it. That card is currently in my wallet taunting me..." Jim...Jiiim... you know you want to email the owner Jim.. you can do this Jim...you have a HUGE mortgage Jim...come on Jim....stop procrastinating and get er dune Jim". Smile

Well..ok...maybe not in so many words. Smile
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Which reminds me...I need to hit the Carlos O'Kellys in Topeka to see about getting work. Which brings up a question. Do you find that once you get a job doing magic at in a restaurant that's part of a chain it's easier to get jobs at the same restaurant in different areas?
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
About two months ago I started to perform at a chain restaurant called Cheeburger Cheeburger once a week. It's a 50's themed restaurant with about 100 seats or so plus a soda/shake/malt bar. It's located in a high end shopping mall and the demographics are great. It's a bit bright and fast paced for me at times but the owner/manager seems tickled with the festive atmosphere the magic and balloons create. I know two months isn't much to go on, but so far it seems to be going well and having approximately 100 seats hasn't been an issue. While it isn't part of my deal, the owner usually offers me a meal, shake or something at the end of the evening. That's always a good sign.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-02-28 14:36, Josh Chaikin wrote:
Which reminds me...I need to hit the Carlos O'Kellys in Topeka to see about getting work. Which brings up a question. Do you find that once you get a job doing magic at in a restaurant that's part of a chain it's easier to get jobs at the same restaurant in different areas?

Oh yes. Use your current restaurant to land you others. That works well. That (and referrals from the GM's) is what landed me 7 of the same restaurants in one week. If you let them know that the magic is working really well at XXX, you have a good chance of booking that one too.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Counting the restaurant you got a referral from, you were working at eight of the same restaurants? Were you booked anywhere else at the time? I've only performed at restaruants between the hours of 5 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. How did you manage it? What happened to them all?
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Hey Derrick,
It was 7 of the same restaurant chain a week. When you figure I still do 2 on Sundays (12-2 and 5:30-7:30), then you add a few more throughout the week, it adds up fast. I've been with this particular chain for about 5 years but it's been about 3 years since I had 7. I performed and still do at a local themed park between 3-7 days a week, a resort and do private parties as well.

As far as how I lost them.... Well..stuff happens. They get new GM's, business slows down, etc. So now I am at 3 of that same chain and 1 different restaurant. I've had between 4 and 7 restaurants a week steady since about 1992. I'm looking to book 1 or 2 more but I want to stay away from this chain. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. Been there...done that...stressed much. Smile
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
What a schedule!

I didn't really think about it until now (probably because I've never worked at two or more of the same restaurant), but do you find when you have a great night, it's pretty much taken for granted and you don't hear much about it past the front door of that restaurant, but if a night doesn't go well, then it doesn't take long for the managers at all the other stores to know about it?

It's my experience that bad news always travels farther and faster than good news.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2007-03-01 12:10, derrick wrote:
What a schedule!

I didn't really think about it until now (probably because I've never worked at two or more of the same restaurant), but do you find when you have a great night, it's pretty much taken for granted and you don't hear much about it past the front door of that restaurant, but if a night doesn't go well, then it doesn't take long for the managers at all the other stores to know about it?

It's my experience that bad news always travels farther and faster than good news.

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which follows its own laws."

I suppose this is true. The first few weeks I was there, after I got paid, the manager would tell me "X people have come up and told me how much they enjoyed the magic." That doesn't really seem to happen anymore. I guess they grow complacent to it after awhile.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
I suppose this is true. The first few weeks I was there, after I got paid, the manager would tell me "X people have come up and told me how much they enjoyed the magic." That doesn't really seem to happen anymore. I guess they grow complacent to it after awhile.

Spot on.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Hopefully he's still positive enough to sing my praises to the GM at the other location...
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
As long as you bring a positive experience to his restaurant and keep his guests happy then I am sure he will give you a good referral.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Which Applebees? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL