The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tragic Restaurant Tale (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicmanci15
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of magicmanci15
I was working at a place last month, but I was somehow replaced by a more "qualified" magician. The fault was mine however. When I got the job, I unwillingly promised, or guarenteed them that if they hired me on a slower night, Wedensday, that their business will also increase. I had no way of backing that statement up, and consequently as soon as a guy came in that's been performing for 20 years, with a mailing list to back up his promises, I was told that it wasnt working out. *** that hurt. Now this is still questionable, but I was pretty muched snaked out of a sweet deal. I cant do anything but learn from it. So Ive been restaurantless for about 2 months, but I have a few appointments lined up this week. I also have a free trial night next Friday night at an Uno's Chicago Grill, which I think will go well. Bottom line: don't make promises you cant keep.

Ivan
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Good lesson to learn. Few magicians are capable for increasing patronage on a consistent basis...if at all. Our specialty is enhancing a memorable dining experience. Good luck on your hunt!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Sorry it didn't work out...this time. Sometimes these things happen. I'm a believer that things happen for a reason and something better is around the corner.

Sounds like you've learned something from this experience and are not letting this setback stop you in your tracks. Keep your head up and keep trying.

Things will work out as they are supposed to. Just hang in there.

Mark. Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I sell the idea that as a magician I can fill the time between ordering and the arrival of orders and also to keep delays from being noted. A mailing list can increase business but like you learned you just can't do it as a magician. Your job is to entertain the folks there not to bring 'em in, that is the restaurants job. I know this is old hat but look into getting the Live From the Jailhouse dvd then try to track down Magic Menu books and Kirk Charles book. Carl Andrews put out some great material as well. Don't worry about it and move on, you keep at it. By the way, a big boo to the guy who back doored you. He now has no room to complain if someone does him in the same way for a job.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-01-24 22:26, magicmanci15 wrote:
I was working at a place last month, but I was somehow replaced by a more "qualified" magician. The fault was mine however. When I got the job, I unwillingly promised, or guarenteed them that if they hired me on a slower night, Wedensday, that their business will also increase. I had no way of backing that statement up, and consequently as soon as a guy came in that's been performing for 20 years, with a mailing list to back up his promises, I was told that it wasnt working out. *** that hurt. Now this is still questionable, but I was pretty muched snaked out of a sweet deal. I cant do anything but learn from it. So Ive been restaurantless for about 2 months, but I have a few appointments lined up this week. I also have a free trial night next Friday night at an Uno's Chicago Grill, which I think will go well. Bottom line: don't make promises you cant keep.

Ivan


Long live Danny Doyle...[I paraphrase]'If you tell them you will increase their biz...your day's are numbered'...

Rich
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Having a magician at a restaurant can be a decent way for them to increase business IF they advertise the fact that they have that magician there. If no one knows, nothing's gonna happen. Concerning the magician they got to replace you... what a jerk, what happened to honor among thie.. er magicians? Maybe he didn't know there was already a magician there, though. Live and learn... Best of Luck!
Eddie Ivan Torres
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Hmm... Majikabra rasies the same ethical issue that was going through my mind. If a person realizes that a restaurant has already hired a magician to entertain its guests, is it right for that person to solicit the restaurant? For me, I would never do such a thing.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
RobertBloor
View Profile
Inner circle
The Socialist Republic of the USA.
1051 Posts

Profile of RobertBloor
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 10:39, magicman845 wrote:
Hmm... Majikabra rasies the same ethical issue that was going through my mind. If a person realizes that a restaurant has already hired a magician to entertain its guests, is it right for that person to solicit the restaurant? For me, I would never do such a thing.

Kent


Of course it is. If you're a professional business person, competition is part of life.

I just can't get over this thought process that if another guy has a gig it's all of the sudden fruit of the forbidden tree.

Robert
"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"
-The Declaration of Independence
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 10:43, RobertBloor wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 10:39, magicman845 wrote:
Hmm... Majikabra rasies the same ethical issue that was going through my mind. If a person realizes that a restaurant has already hired a magician to entertain its guests, is it right for that person to solicit the restaurant? For me, I would never do such a thing.

Kent


Of course it is. If you're a professional business person, competition is part of life.

I just can't get over this thought process that if another guy has a gig it's all of the sudden fruit of the forbidden tree.

Robert


Robert you are entitled to your view,but I agree wholeheartedly with Kent.For me it's a matter of professional ethic's.

One should develope their performance to the degree that it becomes the talk of the town...then if the owner/GM here's about how wonderful you are,they can make their own decision to bring you in.That's competition!
Until then get your own Gig!

Rich
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I tend to agree with Rich here. And while what you say may not be off from a competitor perspective. If I showed up to all your booked customers and undercut you by even price alone, you'd consider that to be wrong. Ethics plays a big role in competetion as well. If you thought that me undercutting you was just buisness and good competition, what would you say to em walking in and telling your custmers that your hack and that they'll more than get their monies worth with me much more than with you. Now I'm not only stealing your gig, but I'm putting bad word of mouth about you. Technically, that's part of competition, as I ended up with the gig and you didn't. See the difference?
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Interesting thought process Robert, but I, respectfully, disagree with you. Anyone who does what we do should know how difficult it is to land a regular restaurant/bar/club gig. The first person there did all the leg work by convincing the owner/manager that this would work for the restaurant. There are houndreds of threads on here talking about product thievery and the underhandedness of someone taking an idea that someone else put so much time and effort into creating and marketing someone else's idea. I don't see the difference between what this magician did and, for example, what the marketers of (insert your favorite ripped off product here) ___________.
I'm not saying I'm right and you are wrong. My opinion is that I would never approach a restaurant that already had a magician working there. And I find it difficult to believe that he wouldn't know one was working there already. I would imagine that would have been one of the first things out of the owner/manager's mouth when approached by the second magician.
I don't think we should look at this in the same way we look at a liquor distributor approaching the owner and trying to get his product in the establishment versus his competitor's. The EASIEST way to replace the competition in business is by lowering the price of the product. I don't think any of us would like the end result of that competition. We would all be working for a lot less than we are now....or decide it isn't worth the cost and give it up. I could be wrong....I've been wrong before.

By the way....what has happened to Danny Doyle...I haven't seen any posts by him in a while?
Patrick Flanagan
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
I have no problem with compitition up to the sale, but after the sale that is something else. He may be a better magician but he should plow his own field.

It is similar to hearing that someone has hired a magician for a BD. You find out they are paying $200 and you tell them you can do the show for $100 and take the show away.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 11:49, patrick flanagan wrote:
By the way....what has happened to Danny Doyle...I haven't seen any posts by him in a while?


Danny tends to speak his mind. If you can put 2 and 2 together it shouldn't be too hard to figure out why he hasn't been posting here lately. Smile
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 12:01, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 11:49, patrick flanagan wrote:
By the way....what has happened to Danny Doyle...I haven't seen any posts by him in a while?


Danny tends to speak his mind. If you can put 2 and 2 together it shouldn't be too hard to figure out why he hasn't been posting here lately. Smile


So, you get banned for speaking your mind here? Hmm.

Danny Doyle WAS harsh at times, but I think his intentions were good. If you could handle the abrasiveness and bluntness, he quite often had valuable real world advice and thoughts.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.



- Edwin Louis Cole
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Danny Diamond is Doyle's counter personality
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 12:14, Danny Diamond wrote:
So, you get banned for speaking your mind here? Hmm.



Banned? I never said the word banned. Where did I use the word banned? It's against the rules to mention banned members. LOL!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Wow...Danny got banned?? Interesting...Most times, he was the BLUNT voice of reason that a forum like this needs. I hope this isn't true...if it is I might re-think my involvement here. Sorry for getting off topic. Maybe, material for a new thread.
Patrick Flanagan
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Who said banned? I never said banned. Those are your words, not mine. You trying to get me in trouble? Smile
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Oops, I didn't realize it was against the rules to speak of those who are no longer welcome here. Will I be the next one exiled now? If so, I will work with DDoyle to try to get the banned back together!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.



- Edwin Louis Cole
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Banned???....ooops...typo....meant blanned...or is it bland....which this forum might become if opinions are tempered.
Seriously, how many times have we heard, read, etc. that one of the problems in our art is that magicians don't tell the truth regarding other's performances. Everything is great....nah, you didn't flash that pass...nah, I couldn't see that steal from the back row... How many times have we heard, read, etc. (oh, I'm thinking writings from Mr. Swiss, Mr. Maven, Mr. Close, Mr. Wonder, etc.) that it is wrong NOT to CONSTRUCTIVELY criticize a friend's performance. That is how we are able to improve. The opinions of Danny Doyle, while harsh and direct, were refreshing and insightful. And if he wasn't banned, blanned, blained, then disregard my ramblings.
Patrick Flanagan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tragic Restaurant Tale (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL