The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tragic Restaurant Tale (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
You can be refreshing and insightful without being blunt. I may be an old Southern Gentlemand but there is never an excuse for rudeness.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure geography has something to do with approach. Rudeness in Chicago may not be the same as in Austin. I've been in distribution management for 25 years, and not everyone receives a message the same. Some need coddling...some need to be hit over the head. I've read hundreds of his postings, and if someone's feelings were hurt by his comments....I'd hate to see how they would respond to performing in a bar full of opinionated people enhanced by alcohol.
Patrick Flanagan
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I think that it depends on whether you are looking at magic as a business or as a fraternity. If it's a business, there are no restrictions. All businesses compete with one another. Cureaid competes with Bandaid ... If it's a fraternity, then you have to set some rules for yourself and hope that other magicians feel the same way.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I'm sure he will be back someday.

Even if they did do that thing that I'm not saying that they did do...The person who has had that done to them usually gets to come back after a time.

Maybe he'll come back the way McMurphy came back to the ward for the last time in "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest". All calm and docile and lobotomized. Nice and passive, just the way Nurse Ratched likes it. LOL!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1079 Posts

Profile of Nash
I will never approach a restaurant with an established ENTERTAINER.
be it band, pianist, clowns, mimes... You just don't do that to your fellow entertainers.
I'm a victim of one such unfortunate circumstances... some new guy in town offered to work for free at my restaurant, the owner didn't even tell me.
What crappy world we live in huh?
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
magicmanci15
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of magicmanci15
The guy new that there was a magician there, because I knew him, and told him. He then emailed me and said that he didn't realize that I was that places magician....even though I told him. So theres my second lesson: keep my mouf shut.

Ivan
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Yeah, ya gotta be careful. It's a dog eat dog world and as wrong as it is, other magicians will sometimes try to move in on your gig. I've had this happen several times to me.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Outside of this forum and various DVDs that mention this phenomena, I have never heard of magicians in restaurants. I have been to several restaurants in Spain, Italy, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, England, Chile, Various Greek and Canary Islands, The States, Holland, France... and probably other places. But I have yet to run into a magician anywhere.

Quite frankly I would probably just leave if I noticed that a restaurant had some sort of table hopping entertainment scheme which disturbed me as I was eating or flirting or whatever. My nightmare has always been the singers that come over and loom over you, serenading while everyone stares at you. The horror. Now I have to include rivaling magicians in my fears.

Sorry. I want everyone to be happy, successful and prosperous but the magician/restaurant combination idea is just very absurd to me.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
The voice of sanity! I too have never come across it on four continents
Jolyon Jenkins
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
My System...which I have used for twenty years...eliminates approaching and possibly bothering guests who do not wish to be bothered. Smile

[three of my five restaurants are long term gigs...longest 18 years]

Best.

Rich
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Rich,

What is this system of which you speak? I would love to hear more! Smile

Steven
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I really don't have to walk up and solicit anyone that doesn't want to see magic either. The wait staff simply let's the patrons know that I perform upon request, and that keeps me pretty busy. It seems to be working well so far.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Ya, I'm at a theme restaurant and surprises are part of the theme... like magic.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
I have been silent here for a while, but here I go...

Your friend is not a friend. He stole your gig. The manager should have offered YOU to work the other night first. Someone else here posted exactly that. They went from a slow night to a busier one when things did not work out on the slow night.

For the people who say business is business, you are right. In the end, you are right. But look at the damage and the image it sets up. Lets keep undercutting each other until restaurants know they can get it for free. In fact, some "magicians" make that offer to restaurants that have magicians. Lets give managers and owners the idea that we are cutthroat types. This way they can make assumtions that if we do it here, we will do it in the restaurant; Like taking the servers tips, stealing food, etc. Heck, we don't have any ethics in swiping someone elses gig. Why change here?

The only way I see it acceptable is if the manager went out and purposly seeked another magician. If he was already planning on letting the current magician go, then I do not see a problem.

The only comforting thought you may have is that your friends job is also on the line. He will only be there until another magician comes by and undercuts him. You are probably better off not working with a manager who who will do that anyway.

Magicians have approached some of the restaurants I work. I know it because the managers tell me. I know who the magicians are because they leave their promo material. This is after the manager tells them they have a magician and are happy. The manager said that he tried to undercut the price. That was enough to kick him out. He said he would never hire a guy that looked that desparate.

You are right about keeping your mouth shut about where you work. Some magicians are just ruthless like that.

Miguel R.
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 05:17, elmago wrote:
I have been silent here for a while, but here I go...

Your friend is not a friend. He stole your gig. The manager should have offered YOU to work the other night first. Someone else here posted exactly that. They went from a slow night to a busier one when things did not work out on the slow night.

For the people who say business is business, you are right. In the end, you are right. But look at the damage and the image it sets up. Lets keep undercutting each other until restaurants know they can get it for free. In fact, some "magicians" make that offer to restaurants that have magicians. Lets give managers and owners the idea that we are cutthroat types. This way they can make assumtions that if we do it here, we will do it in the restaurant; Like taking the servers tips, stealing food, etc. Heck, we don't have any ethics in swiping someone elses gig. Why change here?

The only way I see it acceptable is if the manager went out and purposly seeked another magician. If he was already planning on letting the current magician go, then I do not see a problem.

The only comforting thought you may have is that your friends job is also on the line. He will only be there until another magician comes by and undercuts him. You are probably better off not working with a manager who who will do that anyway.

Magicians have approached some of the restaurants I work. I know it because the managers tell me. I know who the magicians are because they leave their promo material. This is after the manager tells them they have a magician and are happy. The manager said that he tried to undercut the price. That was enough to kick him out. He said he would never hire a guy that looked that desparate.

You are right about keeping your mouth shut about where you work. Some magicians are just ruthless like that.

Miguel R.

Well stated Miguel!

Oh..and welcome back.

Best
Rich
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1079 Posts

Profile of Nash
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 17:51, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
Outside of this forum and various DVDs that mention this phenomena, I have never heard of magicians in restaurants. I have been to several restaurants in Spain, Italy, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, England, Chile, Various Greek and Canary Islands, The States, Holland, France... and probably other places. But I have yet to run into a magician anywhere.

Quite frankly I would probably just leave if I noticed that a restaurant had some sort of table hopping entertainment scheme which disturbed me as I was eating or flirting or whatever. My nightmare has always been the singers that come over and loom over you, serenading while everyone stares at you. The horror. Now I have to include rivaling magicians in my fears.

Sorry. I want everyone to be happy, successful and prosperous but the magician/restaurant combination idea is just very absurd to me.

Really? Hheemm.. I don't understand how magic and restaurant is an odd idea. People don't come to eat for food only, they want the experience.
Magic is perfect.

I hope we all learn something from this post though - NEVER push your magic on patrons. ALways ask if they want to see magic.
Because it can be offending to someone.

I learned my lesson way back when someone tried to swung at me because I pulled a coin from her hair LOL.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 10:43, RobertBloor wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 10:39, magicman845 wrote:
Hmm... Majikabra rasies the same ethical issue that was going through my mind. If a person realizes that a restaurant has already hired a magician to entertain its guests, is it right for that person to solicit the restaurant? For me, I would never do such a thing.

Kent

Of course it is. If you're a professional business person, competition is part of life.

I just can't get over this thought process that if another guy has a gig it's all of the sudden fruit of the forbidden tree.

Robert

Only an a-hole would do something like that. There are plenty of restaurants in most cities and you don't need to stab someone in the back for a gig.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Silly Walter:Please try to be respectful with your posts.Mr.Bloor is not a newbie.He is a performer who has contributed much to this forum.I,personally may not agree on this point..but I respectfully accept his point of view.

Please think before you post.

Sir Walter if I misinterpreted you post please forgive me.I am just getting a little tired of the a-hole accusation

Best.

Rich
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
No problem. I wasn't referring to Robert Bloor as an a-hole. I had meant it in reference to someone that would backstab a magician like that.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
If you approach a restaurant (or any venue), it's not wrong to leave your promo material if they already have someone they're happy with. After all, what if the first magician leaves? What if they need a sub one night? What if the manager wants a show for his son's birthday but the restaurant magician doesn't do birthday parties?

But if you try to STEAL the gig from the first magician, by undercutting or whaterver, you're lower than dirt and a disgrace to this noble art. Ladies and gentlemen, we are (or should be) better than that!

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tragic Restaurant Tale (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL