The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hidden stuff in movies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Mandrake01, I have seen articles on this, regarding Simba and Kimba. Personally, I think most of them refer to both the names and their looks, as Simba, in his youth, looks a lot like Kimba. While Disney denies this connection, the artists knew better. As for their lives, no. That was not copied exactly.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
http://www.snopes.com has some very interesting stuff on it. Lots of different urban legends and myths in movies, and things we use everyday.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2836 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 22:09, clynim wrote:
Mandrake01, I have seen articles on this, regarding Simba and Kimba. Personally, I think most of them refer to both the names and their looks, as Simba, in his youth, looks a lot like Kimba. While Disney denies this connection, the artists knew better. As for their lives, no. That was not copied exactly.

I didn't hear anyone talking about the way they look as kittens. Most of the posts I saw were; "Disney ripped off "Kimba" to make "The Lion King." " which was clearly not true.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 18:40, Justin R wrote:
Has anybody here tried syncing up "Dark Side of the Moon" with the Wizard of Oz? I haven't but I'd like to hear from somebody who actually cared enough to try it out.

Done it. It's pretty interesting and only takes a little over a half hour. Start the CD after the Lion Roar.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
It is pretty obvious that The Lion King was a direct rip-off of Osuma Tesuka's Jungle Emperor (Jungle Taitei) the serialised comic from 1950 to 1954, it became Japan's first colour animated television series in 1965. Fifty-two episodes were released in 1966 in English under the title Kimba The White Lion. Do a google image search if you have any doubts. It wasn't just several story lines that they lifted, but a shameful amount of the art works as well.

Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Wow . . this is fantastic.
Thanks guys. Guess I need to dust off my DVD player . . . .

BTW, the lion king is "inspired" by Jungle Taitei. Just google it for more information . . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
No, actually, Disney calims they never heard of Osuma Tesuka before making the Lion King. Scumbag company.

Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I remember seeing a very bitter interview with the widow of Osuma Tesuka. Will post the link, if I can still retrieve it from somewhere. . .
Cards never lie
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2201 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Always seemed to me that The Lion King was a "rip off" of Hamlet... Smile

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well it isn't in the movie but an interesting fact. Will Smith was chosen ahead of Reeves to play Neo in the Matrix.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2007-01-28 23:07, Mercury52 wrote:
Always seemed to me that The Lion King was a "rip off" of Hamlet... Smile

Kevin

Actually, that was Disney's claim in defence of ripping off Simba! "No, we ripped off the idea from Shakespeare" If you are really interested, check out the art work side by side, here:

http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2836 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-01-29 06:38, Joey Stalin wrote:
Well it isn't in the movie but an interesting fact. Will Smith was chosen ahead of Reeves to play Neo in the Matrix.

...and he rejected the script because he couldn't follow it. (Turns out he was probably smart.)
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
The real story of The Lion King can be found in the book, "Disney: The Mouse Betrayed," by Peter Schweizer. It seems that the Disney studio did rip off much of Kimba the White Lion, all the while saying publicly they didn't. One thing I can't stand is duplicity, and I wish they had just credited Osamu Tezuka for the general idea, and everyone would have been happy.

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Mouse-Betra......95263874

Additionally, you can click http://www.kimbawlion.com/ and hit the Lion King link.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2836 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Yeah, I've been doing a PM with Bitterman. I acknowledge that there are similarities and it was <mega> stupid for Disney to try and claim that <nobody> at the Disney studio ever heard of "Kimba-The White Lion." If you know animation, you might not know <all> animae, but you're going to know "Kimba."

At the same time, I still believe the two storylines go off in such different directions the matter is moot at best.

I also still say "Aladdin" is closer to the Sabu version of "The Thief of Bagdad" than "The Lion King" is to "Kimba." I mean, they named the bad guy "Jaffar" as opposed to the original film's "Jafar." Aladdin and the Prince from the earlier movie both see the princess from an awning in the marketplace. Aladdin's monkey-pal is named Apu which was Sabu's name in the original and the sultan is shown as a jovial fat man all in white who likes to play with toys! Where's the websites and outrage over this? Smile
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 00:53, mandrake01 wrote:
Well, I didn't want to spoil it. But you're right about the mer-people.

Simba and Kimba have this one thing in common, their names rhyme. Simba's father is killed and he goes off and has a great time until he realizes his responsibilities and retakes his throne.

KIMBA'S father is killed and he and his mother are captured by poachers. Kimba escapes when the ship sinks (drowning his mother) makes his way back to his father's pride and (I'm not making this up) tries to bring civilization to the animals!

Watch the color version of "The Thief Of Bagdad" some time and catch all the obvious riffs "Aladdin" lifted. I've never seen anyone pick up on those.

I think you can find "Dark Side of the Rainbow" on YouTube if you dig around.

I never had the patience to sit through it myself.

If you think that's bad with Aladdin, there was another film, I don't remember the name, but it had a Cobbler (shoe guy, I think) and it is incomplete, but Disney ripped it off almost entirely with Aladdin.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
As for things like in the original post with credits, just watched Shade, yet again, and noticed during the credits, when crediting the different Grips (a film position) like Key Grip, etc, they also listed Erdnase Grip and Mechanics Grip, lol.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What does the police car robot have on it instead of "to protect and serve" in transformers?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Hidden or not? when you seen a action scene like what I saw in the show "Fall guy".They were pulling off the jail bars with a pickup to help someone escape ,the bumper breakes off the pickup to. Then in the next scene while they were getting away you see the bumber is still on the truck.
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
Muckey Spleen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Muckey Spleen
"Simba" means "lion" in Swahili, and has been a traditional name for lions in literature. I thought it was kind of cheesy for Disney to use that name, but not plagiaristic in any way. However, I agree that it's ridiculous for Disney to make the claim that nobody there knew about Kimba - gimme a break.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4862 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2007-07-09 13:38, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
What does the police car robot have on it instead of "to protect and serve" in transformers?

"To punish and enslave"

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hidden stuff in movies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL