The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A magical dictionary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
I'm really only just into magic. I've learnt a bunch of neat effects that I've done over the years and have shown off to friends. I've bought books and videos but I don't think that I've ever really had the desire and call to do magic as I do now. I figure at this point what I need to be doing is just absolutely practicing to the extreme a good group of effects and then also building a "dictionary" of magical jokes to throw in at different spots. Just little quick funny lines. Does anyone know of any books that contain only jokes - jokes equipped for magic?

Thanks
I want to go far...
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I know that Aldo Colombini has a couple of books of jokes for magic, though I have not read them myself. You can get them at Elmwood Magic and I know I've seen them over at Penguin Magic. Other than those which I've only browsed past from time to time I do not know of any to recommend off hand.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
"Sleight of Lips" by Harry Allen, and I think Penguin has a DVD out by Gary Darwin. The best thing you'll have to teach you though is your own experience, so perform, perform, perform. One day you'll be performing for someone and they'll say something and suddenly you'll accidentally reply with something that everyone will find hilarious and you'll keep it.
Eddie Ivan Torres
Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
Darwin put out a book on jokes to use during card tricks.
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Yeah, I should be performing a lot more than I am. University bites in that way. I find that there are a lot of opportunities to perform yet the study time of magic as well as school really bites. I'd like to get a job into magic at some point. Restaurant magic possibly bar magic yet the little town, and I mean LITTLE, has very few restaurants that are large enough to actually perform in. Just not enough space between the tables.

Study, practice, perform. Got a lot to do!!!
I want to go far...
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Is there any certain spot that is set on selling used magic supplies? I look on ebay but sometimes that place really doesn't have anything that I'm looking for. Anyone know of some different place?
I want to go far...
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 03:43, MajikAbra wrote:
"Sleight of Lips" by Harry Allen

Not quite. "Sleight of Mouth", to be correct.
The other title might be found in adult bookstores...
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-01-26 09:41, Deranged wrote:
Yeah, I should be performing a lot more than I am. University bites in that way. I find that there are a lot of opportunities to perform yet the study time of magic as well as school really bites. I'd like to get a job into magic at some point. Restaurant magic possibly bar magic yet the little town, and I mean LITTLE, has very few restaurants that are large enough to actually perform in. Just not enough space between the tables.

Study, practice, perform. Got a lot to do!!!

I too am in a small college town attending University with a very full academic schedule. All you need to do is budget your time. I'm sure you can tell by the posts I make on this forum and my website that I perform quite a bit, in fact it's paying all the bills. As for small restaurants in a small town, I hear ya. If you're willing to travel then you'll easily be able to find work. I travel up to four hours on weekends to take bookings. While I'm in Oneonta for school I travel out to Buffalo, Albany, Binghamton, Syracuse, and such. Just letting you know that it can be done, and if you want to get out performing more then you just need a good plan. Best of luck to you!
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Yeah, I hope that at some point I'll be able to travel. Transportation is a dent in that region though. I'm in New Brunswick Canada. All the towns around here are small. I'll probably have to either spend $100 a night on taxi money. But I suppose if I start making a fait few a night then really I'm making a profit and I'm learning as well as gaining experience. OR BETTER YET! I'll drop out and win the lottery. Now that sounds like the best plan.
I want to go far...
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

The lottery sounds good. I could drop out and continue living just on the magic that I'm already doing, but I wish to get my degree (Music Industry major with Minor in Audio Engineering and a Minor in Philosophy) and just wait out the three more years until I fully pursue magic as a career. It is sometimes tempting to leave school for major though.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I am only speaking for me, but I would avoid books and DVDs on jokes. I think to borrow others material doesn't really work, it seems forced and a little unnatural.

As MajikAbra says, your own natural sense of humour should come through, and when you have been doing it long enough you will find funny situations crop up, and you will adjust your scripts as you go. Another benefit from this to be able to think on your feet - when unexpected situations turn up, comedy is much better off the cuff than rehearsed.I think that your humour should still be there, even if you weren't performing the tricks.

I think 'gags' that are forced and out of character can transform a performer from a nice and good magician into something quite horrendous.

Again, that is just for me, but I feel that it is like a comedian borrowing another's jokes. It wouldn't feel right.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 11:07, thoughtsexplorer wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 03:43, MajikAbra wrote:
"Sleight of Lips" by Harry Allen

Not quite. "Sleight of Mouth", to be correct.
The other title might be found in adult bookstores...

"Sleight of Lips" is the fourth book in the installment, I'm holding it right infront of me. It's the one I prefer over the others.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Aaron Martini has some GREAT comedy ebooks:
http://www.aaronmartini.com/store.html

And...they're CHEAP!
Logic Defied
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Not that I am an expert, but right now I am currently reading STRONG MAGIC by Darwin Ortiz. In the first chapter, that's one of the things he recommends against doing. He says that when the magician puts in a joke DURING (before is okay, like when the're signing a card or something) a trick, then it distracts the audience, and can sometimes confuse them as well.

Good Luck!
Steven
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I'm not sure I agree with Darwin on that one. Many very successful contemporary magicians use a lot of jokes throughout their routines. Bill Malone, Whit Haydn, Jay Sankey...
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
I'm glad you don't agree with him, because neither do I. Jay Sankey was the first one to come to mind. I too make jokes in the middle of a routine. As long as they are one-liners, the audience will not lose the point of the effect.

Good Luck!
Steven
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Gazzo has a book out called Read Between the Lines. It's hundreds of jokes and one liners for any topic. Check it out, there's some great stuff in it.
~Jonathan
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A magical dictionary (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL