The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many tricks in your show? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Thanks for the post George!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Typically about 8 tricks in my 45 minute show.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I use 9 routines in a 40 minute show:

Bowling Ball Surprise
Hyperkenisis
Magic Chef
Needle thru Balloon
Lifesaver/Crystal Casket
Quadraflex, Wonder Pen
PB&J, 10' Straw
Rope Routine
Snake Basket

Dan.
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Regarding bits of business, David Ginn has some wonderfull examples in his book, Professional magic for Children, and most of his other books. He also has an entire book called Kidbiz, with mostly just bits which can be encorporated into your routines. You do have to be carefull though, not to do too much business. People have paid to see a magician (if that's what you label yourself as) and expect magic. That said...the kids will probably have more fun with the business than any of your magic. I could probably do a full 45 minute show of just business, without doing a single trick.
paulbrown0833
View Profile
New user
USA
26 Posts

Profile of paulbrown0833
Hyperkenisis? Never heard of that before.
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
176 Posts

Profile of coolini
I do 8 effects for a one hour show with the bits of business that were discussed before, the effects are :
1. silk production warm up
2. miser dream and coins accross
3. six cards repeat
4. songe balls routines
5. Slydini silk
6. daryl rope routine
7.colouring book
8. vanishing bandana
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I do 2 two different lengths of shows. For the daycare age I will do 35 mins and that usually runs about 5 routines. For my older and birthdya age shows, I will do 45 mins and do around 7 or 8 pending on which routines I do to customize for that show.

Keep in mind this is only an average based entirely on what works best for me and my wife. Each performer is different and the only rigth answre is how many makes the audience be entertained by what you do. My routines tend to be a little longer because they are filled with interaction and comedy along the way.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I do about six tricks in an hour, and that seems to be the right pace for me. I use lots of silliness, stories and gags.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
That works great. It really is more about what YOu do and what works for your audiences. What do you guys feel about the pacing of the show and of the effects you do? I am sure we allpace and place our rouitnes in a certain order to accomplish a certain feel or flavor. Talk a bit about how you pace your routines as well. We can all learn I am sure.=)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
My 30 minute show is just three tricks..

Bigger Wands
Chico
Mak Chair Suspension

(in this order)

Then 35 minutes of balloons..

Bigger show is cost more and I add 30 minutes to magic

4 other tricks.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
This year I received a negative feedback on a site since I did too few tricks. The lady ordered a variety show, magic, puppet and balloons but I got penalized since 5 tricks was not enough in the 30 minutes.

Yes I too did more when I was younger since I was not doing more than the stock effect.

So just be warned, some might be expecting more magic if it is billed as a magic show.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I'm bad at timing myself, but my average rule of thumb is 5 minutes per trick, minus one. So 6 five minute tricks would fit in a 30 min. show, I try to do 5, 8 tricks for a 45 min. show.
Most of the shows I do aren't to strict on time so, this is to just get me in the ball park, but it always seems to go about this long. Maybe my puppet routine goes 6 min., but my pb&j only goes 4.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2009-10-27 12:05, Powermagic wrote:
This year I received a negative feedback on a site since I did too few tricks. The lady ordered a variety show, magic, puppet and balloons but I got penalized since 5 tricks was not enough in the 30 minutes.

Yes I too did more when I was younger since I was not doing more than the stock effect.

So just be warned, some might be expecting more magic if it is billed as a magic show.

I had a similar expereince when a potential lead called me for a show and wanted
to how many tricks I do. I lost the lead because the other persone she was
comparing me to "does more tricks".

Hind sight 20/20 I listed my routines, but if I would break down to the number of
times I do magic I would multiply that number by 3. For example, I do a rope routine, but I do at least 3 major effects with that piece rope as part of the routine. That would in, essence be 3 "tricks" instead of one....

What do you think?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I also figure around five minutes per trick. I try to pack a few extra tricks in my case for emergencies because I have had the following happen... I was setting up my snake basket last month and it didn't work. Later when I got home I took it apart and a wire came loose. I have the yellow bandana trick with the washable and removable bag inside the devil hankie. I didn't know my wife took it out and washed it and she didn't put it back. So thanks to having some extra tricks along I just changed my tricks and the shows were wonderful. I try to be ready for Murphy's law.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Mr. Mike,
Good point. I always have about 3-4 tricks extra, just in case. I was inspired by Julian Franklin in Kid Control, where he talks about using tricks he hadn't planned, or not using tricks that he did plan in response to situations that developed. Some day I would like to be that smooth.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many tricks in your show? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL