The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Dragon Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
While fumbling around on youtube today for Jerry Andrus I came across this video for a Dragon Illusion.......go search it out as this illusion is AWESOME!!! I then went and found the HTML address which I will share with you now. This desktop illusion is definitely a conversation piece. The creator of this was inspired by the works of Jerry Andrus hence how I got the hit. So, check it out and have fun. I'd like to know what others think of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TKlyoR0WZI
http://www.hallsofmagic.com/comedymagic/tidbits/dragon.html

-Brian
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I have some of these,

they are twice the size of the ones shown...

Traced it and blew it up to A3.

It is a staggering optical illusion!!!

The best I've seen of this type, by far.

Corona.
mrmagicfunstuff
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of mrmagicfunstuff
I've always loved Jerry's illusions, would love to build all of them. This one was easy to build and was easy to see, not like the 3D illusions you had to stare at until you practically went blind.

Mike
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Mike.........agreed. Easy to build and to see. Took me about 10 minutes to cut out and 5 minutes to fold and tape. Such a cool little dragon.....my 13 year old son just looks at it and laughs because he can't get over how neat it is. Hey Corona!!! Could you PM me some of the others or blown up ones you have. I would like to get some different/larger versions. Thanks in advace pal!

Best,
Brian
Brian-
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Hello Brian,

I do not have it as a computer file,

but you can do the same as me.

I did this for a workshop with kids,

Print out the online version.

It will not stand to be blown up because of resolution etc.

I traced it, leaving out a lot of stuff like the instructions etc.

Then I took the traced version to a copy shop and had them blow it up to A3 on thin card (not paper).

It takes a little time but you then have an original uncluttered version, you can always make more copies from.

All the best, Corona.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I want this bad!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Don't get too excited about this illusion. It works best in video form. When you view it live you have to close one eye to make it work. Its ok but not nearly as good as it seems on the video shot with the " single" eye of the camera.

Best,

Tim
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 23:36, Timothy Drake wrote:
Don't get too excited about this illusion. It works best in video form. When you view it live you have to close one eye to make it work. Its ok but not nearly as good as it seems on the video shot with the " single" eye of the camera.

Best,

Tim

Sorry Tim, I disagree.

This is a startling illusion, and you do not need to close one eye.

Corona.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Does this work if you have a reduced sense of smell?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 03:58, Corona Smith wrote:

Sorry Tim, I disagree.

Corona.

Hi Corona,

If you download the pdf and read the instructions in the upper right hand corner you'll notice that they even instruct you that you have to close one eye in order to view it. Maybe you are speaking of viewing it on video. The video is looking through one lense and thus removed the steroscopic view you would get by looking at it with both your eyes in 3D.

Best,

Tim
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Sorry.. forgot to attached the image from the pdf as proof.

Best,

Tim

Click here to view attached image.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 10:29, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 03:58, Corona Smith wrote:

Sorry Tim, I disagree.

Corona.

Hi Corona,

If you download the pdf and read the instructions in the upper right hand corner you'll notice that they even instruct you that you have to close one eye in order to view it. Maybe you are speaking of viewing it on video. The video is looking through one lense and thus removed the steroscopic view you would get by looking at it with both your eyes in 3D.

Best,

Tim

I wasn't speaking of video, But I believe you.

It's just I find if you look at the eyes, the fold of the face jumps out, at that point the whole head becomes animated. ?Maybe I'm weird?

However, I would highly recommend everyone to take a few minutes and put one together, also mine is twice the size, printed on A3 card.

As an aside, I heard once that optical illusions do not work so well in space, anyone know if this is true?

Optical illusions are a little subjective in that some work very well for some people and others not so.

By the way I do have two eyes and they both work.

Also, mine were black and white, no colour, and we coloured them ourselves.

I just noticed that on the diagram the face area seems to be protruding out, but the actual figure has the face area inverted, so you are looking into it, until the illusion kicks in.

Corona.
mrmagicfunstuff
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of mrmagicfunstuff
After constructing the dragon I had a bit of a problem "getting into it" so I closed one eye as instructed. After that I had no problem seeing it with both eyes open. I found that adding a little distance makes all the difference in the world. I placed it on the shelf in the magic shop today and everyone that saw it had trouble not seeing the illusion and they wondered how it worked. It was behind the counter on a shelf so no one could get closer than about six foot. BTW, I don’t think the instructions say you HAVE to close one eye, I took it as a recommendation.

I liken this to watching someone with a puppet. It looks quite alive while on someone else’s hand but the illusion of life is broken when you put it on your own, until you convince yourself that the character on your hand is alive or at least looks that way to people watching you. When you build the dragon yourself you know how it works and it takes a few minutes to forget that.

Mike
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
272 Posts

Profile of elmago
Wow!!! I had trouble building it at first and then it made sense. I cannot see it with 2 eyes open. Close one eye and the head almost looks like a hologram. It looks like it materializes into a 3-D head even though you are using only one eye.

M.R.

Posted: Jan 28, 2007 3:04am
Never mind. You are right. Just keep staring until the magic happens. Too cool!!!
MR
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
I was in trouble to see it with both eyes open...my 12 years old son catched it immediatly this way, so I believe this differs from one to another...

While surfing on the net with this illusion on my mind, I found these characters using the same principles...

Now maybe the next step would be to take a picture of someone face, print it and then try to reproduce the illusion!!

have fun!!

^_^
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Those are great links!
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Thanks for the links lawrens! I've had a lot of fun with the Dragon and it'll be cool to play around with the other graphics. I wonder if this is possible with "real" photos of people. MAybe there is soem program out there where you play around with that stuff. Still fun!
Brian-
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-01-29 03:31, tuffnavyrn wrote:
I wonder if this is possible with "real" photos of people.

Its been done. Well.. something close anyway. Check this video out. http://www.unoriginal.co.uk/nuvideos1234......sion.wmv

Best,

Tim
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Well I was thinking take a picture of a face, trying to keep the cutting lines as in the dragon, and then assemble the picture the same way...I don't know if anybody did this...?
Even if it could ever work?
Thanks Tim for the link, but I think this one believe more to "einstein's face illusion" kind of stuff...which are great!

Just two cents

^_°
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2007-01-29 03:50, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-29 03:31, tuffnavyrn wrote:
I wonder if this is possible with "real" photos of people.

Its been done. Well.. something close anyway. Check this video out. http://www.unoriginal.co.uk/nuvideos1234......sion.wmv

Best,

Tim

Pretty cool.kind of like the Einstein Illusion, but I have never seen the facial expression change...although I have done that with dollar bills via Dan Harlan's "Presedential Expression" trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Dragon Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL