The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Two Card Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Steel
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Mr. Steel
I am hoping someone can help me with this problem that I am having. I am currently getting together a routine for the restaurant. I have prepared like you would not beleive and am confident that my knowledge on this subject is very honed. One of my strongest pieces of magic is the two card monte effect(Blaine's version that he performed on tv (with a modified handling and different patter of course)). This effect gets awesome reactions and anyone who performs this piece can testify to it's impact on the spectators. Although it is one of my strongest pieces, I am not sure it would go over too well in the restaurant setting. I am afraid that the way the effect ends might make the spectator feel stupid. Now I know that the way this piece is performed, whether it be in a serious manner or a joking manner can seriously impact the outcome and how the spectator feels at the end. From all my reading on the topic of magic in restaurants I know that the last thing that the magician would want to do is to offend the spectator or make him/her feel stupid. I am afraid this effect will do just that seeing as the cards that they think are there end up being totally different cards. I am asking for any help on this matter as to a different handling of the same effect or a clever patter so that the spectator is not made to look like a fool. I really do not want to drop this piece from my routine because the reactions from this effect are unbelievable. Thanks for any responses that I may get from this post.

David
aby9plp
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
255 Posts

Profile of aby9plp
Why would the spectator feel like a fool?!? Its not their fault, its MAGIC! What's wrong with doing magic?
-aka-
Phoenix
Dedi
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Dedi
If its the patter that you are worried about then i would say change it. I believe that magic is about how you make that person feel. You should try to make them feel amazed and happy as opposed to stupid.

How would you feel if that person actually knew the trick and made YOU look like stupid?
Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don't know the blaine patter but if you're asking the spectators to guess which card is on top or whatever, you might come up with something like this...

Magi: "Which one's on top" (or whatever)
Spec: "@#$% I don't know, the QD"

Magi: "You know what? You're right. Don't look yet!! The management here told me that I need to fool everybody or I'll lose my job so.. (Glance around like you're about to do something sneaky but don't over do it. Be serious not silly). I'm sorry to do this but, ... I'll need to change things around a little bit for job security reasons. *SNAP YOUR FINGERS*. Ok, take a look!"

Now the spectator is right and your're their #@$% hero!!!!!

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Can you do the trick as a story? Show an effect that was shown to you, where you could not follow the cards.You recreate the situation ,you point to the ace and you are always wrong.
That way the spectator agrees in their mind with you but never has to be wrong.
oblique
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
How about saying you meant to have the Queen of hearts on top and the black queen on the bottom and when they look to see two totally different cards, act like you completely screwed up. I always get that trick wrong. Darn it.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Quote:
On 2003-01-09 11:44, oblique wrote:
Can you do the trick as a story? Show an effect that was shown to you, where you could not follow the cards.You recreate the situation ,you point to the ace and you are always wrong.
That way the spectator agrees in their mind with you but never has to be wrong.
oblique

I read some story patter on this effect once, using 2 red fives and 2 black tens. You tell a story about how, "When I was a kid, my mom wanted to teach me the value of saving money. So she gave me two 5 dollar bills to put into the bank, but I was not allowed to touch any of it. But, being the precocious youth I was, I withdrew $5 the very next day. On the way out I noticed a sign talking about interest. The teller told me how I could make money by doing nothing, just leaving the money in the account. Well, time went by and I forgot all about the money, until I remembered one day three years later. I checked the account (hey, turn the cards over) and, lo and behold, my money had doubled!"

Quote:
On 2003-01-10 03:42, JamesinLA wrote:
How about saying you meant to have the Queen of hearts on top and the black queen on the bottom and when they look to see two totally different cards, act like you completely screwed up. I always get that trick wrong. Darn it.
Jim

I use a "Darn it, I can't believe I screwed up" excuse when I tell the spectator that I am going to steal the sponge ball in their hand, and it turns out that they actually stole my ball. I chalk it up to being a new magician (I kind of am a new magician, only doing this since this summer, but I am better than decent). I am even going to get a round button to wear on my shirt that says, "Bear with me....I'm NEW!"
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Two Card Monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL