The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ultimate Three Card Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Has anyone every tried Ultimate Three Card Monte on a table in a restaurant? I would think that the cards would get ruined really quickly as sometimes the tables are wet, also do the spectators ever go and grab them to see what card is what? Anyone ever tried it? What's been the pros and cons?
I want to go far...
tommypockets
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of tommypockets
You can carry a small close up mat with you to prevent the cards from getting wet, and it also makes the trick easier than on a flat table because the cards are not bent so the mat makes the cards easier to pick up. To prevent people from touching the cards it is just audience management. Make the trick look extremely fair and you should not have a problem. Also never have them guess where the ace should be just tell them otherwise they will be more inclined to check themselves.
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Do you find that the mat is a bit annoying and aggravating to carry around? I would think that approaching tables is akward while holding a close-up mat.
I want to go far...
tommypockets
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of tommypockets
I have a smaller cut down one I just fold and carry in my back pocket. It works for the trick because you don't really toss the cards, so the mat doesn't have to be very big. At least that's what works for me.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
To avoid carrying a close-up mat I often carry a couple of napkins.
Its not quite as good as a mat but it keeps the props clean and gives a bit of bounce to pick up coins etc.
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
324 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
I can never understand how people can use close up mats or perform "lay down" card or coin tricks at restaurant tables. In my 17 years of working restaurants and all manner of corporate events, there's hardly ever enough room on the table to lay anything down and, more importantly, the people sitting on the far side of the table won't be able to see what's going on. The props and effects have to be raised up in your hands to at least chest level to allow everyone to see......which rules out a lot of fine effects including ultimate monte.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "Do you find that the mat is a bit annoying and aggravating to carry around? I would think that approaching tables is akward while holding a close-up mat"

I've been using a standard computer mouse pad for years... about 10 or so now I suppose. I use plain black or dark green for a nice contrast, non-slip rubber bottom negates the problems of a wet or sticky table top, it rolls / folds up into a small enough form factor that I can put it my pocket or in my walk-around bag, but it's big enough to do any coin or card routine I want to do.

Simplicity at its simplest Smile

Best,

-Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
I perform the Ultimate Three Card Monte only after doing a couple of other routines and then only if I sense an acceptance of such a presentation. At that point, the spectators are glad to clear a little space on the table to see the magic.
So far, I've never had anyone try to pick up the cards because it does look so fair.
After all, there they are...three cards each shown one at a time and laid down in front of them. No fancy or sudden moves.
I might add that when I perform this routine, I don't perform it as a sucker effect. I present it as a strange wonder that is mystifying even to me. I find it works much better in this format than in the typical 'challenge'.

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
324 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Just to add one point if you DO want to use a small close up mat - take a look at the Mouse Rugs that are available. These are a small replica rug with a fringe at either end and accurate colouring (even down to slight flaws in the original design). Although they look like they might fall apart very quickly, trust me they are VERY hardwearing. I use one on a daily basis (as a mouse mat) and after a year of very heavy use it still looks as good as new.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
I've been using a close-up mat for as long as I have been performing in restaurants and have never found it to be a problem. My mat is very small, just the right size to do Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte. In all my years I have never had a complaint.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
If you play around with the U3CM set, it is possible to do it without a table.
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
Quote:
On 2007-01-29 17:11, D J Hawkins wrote:
Just to add one point if you DO want to use a small close up mat - take a look at the Mouse Rugs that are available. These are a small replica rug with a fringe at either end and accurate colouring (even down to slight flaws in the original design). Although they look like they might fall apart very quickly, trust me they are VERY hardwearing. I use one on a daily basis (as a mouse mat) and after a year of very heavy use it still looks as good as new.

Is that a magic carpet...? open sesame as it were...!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A bandana is an option and can be used in other effects as well.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-01-29 12:45, D J Hawkins wrote:
I can never understand how people can use close up mats or perform "lay down" card or coin tricks at restaurant tables. In my 17 years of working restaurants and all manner of corporate events, there's hardly ever enough room on the table to lay anything down and, more importantly, the people sitting on the far side of the table won't be able to see what's going on. The props and effects have to be raised up in your hands to at least chest level to allow everyone to see......which rules out a lot of fine effects including ultimate monte.

amen...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ultimate Three Card Monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL