The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » :::Color Stunner::: an effect by Paul Harris - Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GaffMaster16
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of GaffMaster16
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for the posting.

Honestly, you need to work on your patter . . . it a little bit unfocused and confuses the spectator - at least I would be . . .

Also, you need to work on the action after you flipped the King over,

hope this helped

Andy
Cards never lie
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
GaffMaster16,

I enjoyed watching the video. However, I think there is one major point in which you could have done better. I feel that shuffling AFTER turning the King face down is not convincing. Spectators may feel that you are riffle shuffling two face up packets together with a single face down card on top as cover. If you pause and patter a few moments AFTER the king is turned face down and THEN execute the "move," the effect would be greatly enhanced.

Best,
msc455magic
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
It's a great effect. I agree you should pause after "losing" the King in the deck before executing the move. Don't worry about your patter. It's strange and difficult to be fully engaging to a camera instead of a real spectator. Often on camera you'll say something very odd or that didn't make sense merely because you're filling the time that would normally be filled with casual conversing with the spectator(s). My only comment is the "thru the fist move" at the end was completely unnecessary. Save that move for when you're actually going to use it, not to just show the one card. Keep it up and thanks for sharing!
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Very confusing. Your bits of business were really not funny and actually very embarassing. I can see people giving you the middle finger. No offense !!
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Silly Walter the Polar Bear,

I can see your criticisms, but you don't need to be that harsh!

Best,
msc455magic
GaffMaster16
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of GaffMaster16
Thanks for the comments guys

my patter is usaully wierd and people just stare or either laugh but that's my style

I also made up that patter for video if it was live it would be much better

but I still have a lot to learn I'm only 16
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2007-01-28 10:19, GaffMaster16 wrote:
but I still have a lot to learn I'm only 16

That's what I like to hear. it's a nice thing to know that you're able to accept the constructive (and sometimes less constructive) criticism that has been dealt out in this thread. You do have a lot to learn, but with that attitude there's no doubt that you'll do real well. We all have a lot to learn, and simply recognizing that is a great first step.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Agree the patter could use a little help, but for me all the snaping of the fingers was a little overdone. Maybe save it for the moment of magic....
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
A slight pause before the shuffle makes sense to me.

I agree with editing out the push through. The magic has already happened, it just adds confusion.

I'm glad that you tried some patter in the video. While it opened you up to criticism, you didn't cop out and just lay on some guitar and drum machine BS.

I liked it. I wouldn't have flipped you off.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Well performed - you're clearly confident handling a deck of cards, which is great. I might suggest that you don't go ahead and tell the audience that the first part of the effect "wasn't that impressive" because first of all, it IS impressive - its Triumph after all and I think deserves some serious build up. Secondly, there is a slight element of making your audience feel stupid for being taken in by it if you dismiss it out of hand.

A better line would be "if THAT wasn't impressive enough, wait til you see THIS..." or something to that effect.

I used to think I could just make my patter up but as I progress I find myself working more on patter sometimes than the sleights involved - it really can make or break an effect.

Once again though, well done!
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
If you want to improve your magic pay more attention to the negative and even the nasty comments. Also if you really want to improve see if the is a Toastmasters group in your area.

Gil Scott
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Yeah. I also noticed that there were too many "clicks". Whether it'd be a finger snapping of tongue clicking or cards popping. Highly distracting. I used to do a lot of it too because I didn't know how to deal with silence and not moving around but always know that it's okay to be silent and not moving. In fact, your routines can become stronger and more built up when you let that silence to seep in.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Follow all of the advice advice on this thread and I'm sure your magic will improve. Despite the negatives, you have some positives (your confidence, your attitude, and your desire to "sell" the effect). I enjoyed watching the clip. Thanks for the post.

Regards,
Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Yeah after the tenkai optical reverse you need to let the picture sink in.
I use to perform John G.´s Tidal Waving Aces which is a color stunner based on the Paul Harris idea.Don´t rush the performance,think about a good patter which should be logical to the spectator.
Have fun practicing it.
Greetings Jerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » :::Color Stunner::: an effect by Paul Harris - Video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL