The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Something confusing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bku
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of bku
Hey guys,

I have been doing mentalism for a couple of years, but I have never seen a simple trick like this. I went to this hypnotist show today and just before he started hypnotizing people, he did a few esp tricks. One trick however, confused me A LOT; I cannot stop thinking about it. The magician asks a spectator to just think of a card. Then after confirming that the card was not a face card, the magician writes the card down and it matched the spectator's thought up card. The spectator never wrote it down or even hinted that his card was the eight of hearts. Do you guys have any idea what this trick is called? Thanks.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Did the spectator tell the magician what his card was right before the magician turn the notebook around to show his prediction?

Ray
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
Did he show the cards to the spectator? If so, it could be the riffle force or the thought force.
Want jaadu?!

"Reality is a mere illusion, although a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein

http://liquidmetal.in
bku
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of bku
Ray,
No before the spectator even names his card out loud, the magician already wrote the predicted card down and showed it to one side of the audience; I was there and I saw it.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
People don't typically recall things the way it really happened. This is why they say magic occurs in the mind of the spectator. I've a feeling you will respond strongly and negatively to the above statement but that is the way it is.
bku
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of bku
MagicSanta,

I strongly agree with you but I have yesterday's show video taped. I watched it again today but I still don't see how he could of "read my mind." The only statements he said were, "Just think of any card, don't tell anyone or write it down just think of it; it was a number card, is that correct?" Then, he wrote the card down, showed it to one side of the audience. Later, he askes the spectator to name the card and it matches the predicition he made. Has anyone seen a trick like this?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There are a few different methods, I can think of three off hand ranging from a not always accurate try to dead on. I can tell you this...he didn't read his mind!
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1278 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
I think he hypnotized the person to think of the 8 of hearts
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Quote:
On 2007-01-28 13:26, bku wrote:
MagicSanta,

I strongly agree with you but I have yesterday's show video taped. I watched it again today but I still don't see how he could of "read my mind." The only statements he said were, "Just think of any card, don't tell anyone or write it down just think of it; it was a number card, is that correct?" Then, he wrote the card down, showed it to one side of the audience. Later, he askes the spectator to name the card and it matches the predicition he made. Has anyone seen a trick like this?

Put it up on youtube so we can see what you're talking about.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1278 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
I think he hypnotized the person to think of the 8 of hearts.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
What a minute, did I read that right?
You taped someone's act?

Unless the performer says that you can do that, it is wrong.
Posting it on the web as was suggested is equally wrong.

Tony
eheng
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of eheng
I don't know how the performer that you saw worked but there have been others who had a similar effect involving pre-show work. Did the spectator looked shocked or only surprised?

If I wanted to present this I would talk to a couple of people before the show and find out if they had a lucky number or favorite card. Then the revelation has the potential to have dual meanings, one to the spectator and another to the audience.
eheng
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of eheng
I don't know how the performer that you saw worked but there have been others who had a similar effect involving pre-show work. Did the spectator looked shocked or only surprised?

If I wanted to present this I would talk to a couple of people before the show and find out if they had a lucky number or favorite card. Then the revelation has the potential to have dual meanings, one to the spectator and another to the audience.
bku
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of bku
Hey Tony,

I just want to let you know that the hypnotist gave the club rights to video tape his act so nothing wrong happened. And I want to point out that the spectator was in total shock when the hypnotist showed him the prediction. I wish I could upload the video but its in VHS format.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I didn't know there were still any VHS recording cameras left that worked. They stopped making them over 10 years ago.

Anyway, you've not given enough information to answer your question.

Based on your current description it could be a stooge (NO, you wouldn't know about it) or it could be many other things that would require a detail, or details that you're currently leaving out.

BTW, I'm currently thinking of the 8 of hearts.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1278 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
HE HYPNOTIZED THE AUDIENCE MEMBER TO THINK OF THE 8 OF HEARTS!
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
The spectator was his brother!!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm getting a feeling that he may have hypnotized the guy to think of the eight of hearts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Something confusing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL