The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » MP3 tech...I'm on the verge of buying it (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
AlanSmola
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of AlanSmola
Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot about the MP3 Tech and also the ICue2 within the last couple of weeks, and I am getting to the point where I really need to make my decision as to which system to buy. I have decided (I think) that I am going to purchase a MP3 Tech, but I was wondering if any of you knew why exactaly it is so expensive? I have never delt with these automatic sound control devices before, and I noticed that the ICue 2 is much less expensive than the MP3 Tech even though they both seem to do the same thing. Also, what exactaly comes with the MP3 Tech? Is the actual device heavy? I just want to make sure that when I go out and spend pretty much my years savings on this sound control device, that it is the right decision. Thanks

Also, is there a return policy? Since it isn't an actual magic trick that is being sold, I am assuming that if I don't like the product that I can simply return it for my money back.

-Alan
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Alan,

I am solely speculating, but I would assume that since the MP3 Tech includes a built in MP3 Player, that would likely account for the cost differential and added conveninece. I don't know the return policies but I do know that both companies offer excellent warranties as I had the same question when I began shopping.

Dan.
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
All I can say is that I saw a MP3 Tech this past weekend when Ken Scott & I worked a gig together and I'm glad I bought an iCue 2. Nothing wrong with the MP3 Tech but I like the iCue2 better. Everyone has their favorite music controllers. I use it daily in my school presentations. It's easy to set up and is flawless.

I have several fulltime performer friends that have switched from ShowTech to iCue2. As a fulltime working pro for 24 yrs I give it my highest recommendation!

All The Best!
John
Cane and Able
View Profile
New user
The Great White North
82 Posts

Profile of Cane and Able
Hi there,

You should call Kerry Pollock and ask him any questions you may have.

We own the MP3 Tech. We went with it because of Kerry's reputation and the MP3 Tech will soon be compatible with Ipods. I know the ad makes it sound like it's Ipod ready now, but it's not. However, Kerry is getting that set up. We're looking forward to having the option using the On The Go Ipod feature. Again, just give him a call.

It is a very light unit. We tried out the optional display and in the end we just sent it back. It was just something to get in the way and we never looked at it.

If you already own a laptop, you may want to check out Jeff Haus program for making your own remote music system for a lot less money.

Have a great day.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Iuse the MP3 tech and love it. The wireless display has come in very handy for me. It works as a cue sheet for me.

It cost a bit more yes because it has the mp3 built into it. There are no hanging parts everything is built in the small box.

The mp3 tech will also allow you ro program up 10 shows . So you can pre program your music to play in the order you want it to for 10 different shows, that it s agreat feature. My one show is my birthday show my number 2 on the tech is my school, my 3 number on the tech is my adult stuff, etc. I know you can set your show up on the fly with the IPOD but I know my set order and I rarely change it. If for some reason I don't do a routine I simply hit my remote and skip that track.

Anyway I love it for great for me. As John Cooper and I worked together a couple of weeks ago he will tell you my music sounded great and I had NO problems with my system.

ken
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I have to also vouch for the Mp3 Tech. Kerry is a great guy and will bend over backwards to help you out if you ever have any problems.

I rarely change my set list either and as Ken stated above it's easy to skip a track or go back a track if you have the display on your table so you can se the tracks.

Lyndel
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Personally even though I think Kelly is a ***** and other names, I admit I am impressed with his ICUE2. I think his system is superior to the MP3 Tech. As Ken Scott mentioned, he carries a laptop with him to change the playlist on the MP3 Tech. It defeats the purpose of a system controller and it's a waste of money when you can just grab a laptop and a $40.00 remote control to control your sound, and save hundreds of dollars.

With the ICUE2 you can use an IPOD which allows hundreds of playlists which can be programmed on the spot without a laptop.

But then again you can just control an IPOD with a $40.00 remote control.

G0thike
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Kerry will have the mp3 run an ipod if you want one. I would just rather use the mp3 that is built in.

One thing on the remotes with the mp3 they are small and I can conceal them in my hand hidden if I need to. I know the icue remote has gotten smaller but it is still not smaller then the mp3 remote. The smaller remote works out for me.

With the remote I am able to put one in my pocket and I have a pk wedding ring on . When my hand with the ring on it goes near my pocket it starts or stops my music.

Ken
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I would think that the mp3 tech is superior in that there are less parts. It's all solid state isn't it?

I plan on going that route as soon as I stop buying sound systems and wireless mics. I have a Mini tech from Kelly Duro it's worked great but I like the idea of not having to carry around an ipod or a mini disc etc.

The less stuff the better and more reliable it seems to me.

John
AlanSmola
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of AlanSmola
Thanks everyone for your input about the sound control system. I have done some more research, and I have decided that I think the best way to go about controling my sound would just be to do it with a lap top computer and a separate remote. I have read all about Jeff Haus's laptop control system, and it seems to me that this way of controling your sound for your show is much cheaper and will still get the job done. We are talking saving hundreds of dollars by just getting a laptop, so I am kinda leaning in that direction now. If anyone has done this and has experience with this I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

-Alan
http://www.alansmolamagic.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Johncesta,

What system did you mean that you currently have? The MiniTech is a Kerry Pollack/Wireless Wizardry item. It was the follow-up (with less gadgets) to the ShowTech.

Alan,

I did "beta test drive" a "Performer" system for a month or so. It was a laptop-based system that used Griffin Technologies iClick. Didn't like the idea of having to carry around a laptop and find a place to put it in smaller shows (like outdoor/indoor festivals) where there wasn't actually a "sound table". The iCue solved that by mounting right on the speaker stand.

Steve
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Does Jeff's system only run a Mac?
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I'll pipe in here with my 2 cents. I used a laptop system for a couple of years and, while it worked fine...it was another thing to lug in and out. Plus, the few minutes that it took to start up and shut down, connect the antenna for the remote, etc, got to be annoying. And it got stolen once!!

To be perfectly honest, I went out and bought an IPOD and an airclick remote...and it works great for 90% of my venues (which are in home birthday parties.)
That said, the airclick/ipod has failed enough times that this season I will probably go for a 'professional' system.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Go with the iCue2. Extensive research (about 7 months worth) led me to that after 15 years with my ShowTech.

Steve
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

I've tried cheap, low tech alternatives but if you are charging clients money don't you want a dependable, easy to set up system. I use my iCue2 daily in my living as a school show presenter and professional speaker. Its convienent, easy to use and depemdable. I can't say enough great things about it. And it goes forever on it's battery pack!

John
WisMel
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of WisMel
I just ordered an ICUE 2. After reading all the posts I just can't see running my music without one.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I haven't purchased an IPod yet, I'll probably wait until my MD dies. I use the VSM mini. My VSM Mini is attached to my MD Player that is mounted in a sound box that has all my Mic's, cords, Mini Vox etc, that I carry to every show. I've had minimal problems with it.

I've never used the other similar models on the market but I will tell you that I love the fact that my remote is hidden on my belt and is easily accessible at all times, no digging in my pockets for the right button.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I've never used the remote clipped on. With the new "click-feel" remote, you don't have to grope around in your pocket, either. With the raised buttons, you always know where you are. Even with the ShowTech I used to use (pre-iCue2), I kept the remote in my right pocket, just about where my hand would fall when by my side. I took the clip off my iCue2 remote as soon as I got it. The iCue2 also has 2 cords coming out, one is for the iPod, the other is for a CD player. You just can't use both at the same time!

Steve
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

To clarify the above post: iCue2 will control a MD, certain CD players or an iPod. I use a MD for my school programs and the iCue2 controls it flawlessly!

John
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
John,

I forgot to mention the MD...guess because I decided to NOT use one anymore after selling my ShowTech in favor of the iCue2.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » MP3 tech...I'm on the verge of buying it (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL