The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First Paid Gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
Well, thought I might share alittle something - see who else has a story aswell Smile

This Sat just past I did my first paid stolling gig. All up about 80 people having a little party and I was to be the "warm up" entertainment for the night.

I tell ya - I was nervous as hell turning up. I've done shows before, but never magic so I was slightly prepared but didn't expect the nerves. First thing that suprised me - everyone was around my age (mid 20's to early 30's). Second thing - it was more a house party than a formal 'do'. Third and final thing - everyone was really laid back (the area it was in is very pretentious by association).

So I got there 30mins early and mingled with the crowd for abit, chatted to the other entertainer (DJ) and then it was 'on with the show'. One hour and a touch later and I honestly cant remember much - people laughed - I laughed - cards/coins flew - faces blurred....
To be honest - It reminded me of my first skydive.....it was over before I could blink and even though I know it went well I couldn't remember much in the way of details.

I got a little bonus from the Host ontop of the agreed rate - she was pleasently suprised that I was so early and I basically hung around for another 45mins after my 'time was up' mingling with the people.

The thing that does suprise me though is that once it started it just flew by. I cant honestly say what worked and what didn't as I'm still in a bit of a daze today - two days later lol. On the plus side - the lovely host throws a 'little bash' like that once every few months and will call me for the next one.

All in all - I 'think' it went great lol - anyone else had an experience like this :S
The Strangelittleman
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Great sharing - thanks for this. I am happy that you had such a great start.

And yes, a good show pumps you up with adrenalin . . .
Cards never lie
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I remember a few years back when I did my first paid gig - the nerves came out of nowhere! Like you mentioned I had performed before many times but not magic, and I wasn't expecting to be nervous. After you perform a bunch of gigs though the nerves start to go away and you're just left with that really good feeling, the adrenaline that gives you the "stuff" to have a great performance. Glad to hear you had a great first experience. I hear so many stories of terrible ones that it's nice to hear a good one!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Good for you! I video tape my platform shows, but not my strolling. It is tough to remember the details.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Excellent! Well done, I hope it is the first of many!

I still get slightly nervous before performing, which I think is natural, and healthy - it also makes you be on top of your game. They do go fast, which is a good sign - it shows you are enjoying yourself, which means your audience is enjoying itself!!

Good job.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First Paid Gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL