The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Copperfield's Radio. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
I didn't know exactly where this should go, so this seemed like as good a place as any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObCpBkQErGY

In the link above, there is an illusion of David Copperfield. I really am not interested in information about the effect itself, but something before the actual illusion starts.

The radio.

I would like to do something like this (with some different songs playing) in an effect I'm working on. How do I make it spark like that with that smoke? Is it a contained unit in itself, or could I build one of these or add whatever is necessary?

If it's a unit to be bought, where is it available, if not what do I need to make it work?

I understand that the sound system of the theatre is probably playing the music and not the radio itself, it's mainly the ability to act furious at a song, hit the radio and sparks and smoke fly out.

Any ideas?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Contact the wonderful people at Theatre Effects, tell them what you're looking for, and they'll hook you up. Don't call it "that David Copperfield radio thing", though.

Steve
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
That could be a simple as a soft baseball bat and a flash pot with an activation button. The bat hits the button, and voila!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Quote:
On 2007-01-30 17:18, amosmc wrote:
That could be a simple as a soft baseball bat and a flash pot with an activation button. The bat hits the button, and voila!

Wouldn't that only explain the smoke? Would a flash pot also cause sparks or just smoke?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
There are additives you can get that will emit various colors of sparks, also.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Please know, Christian, that you need training, a licence, and permits in order to use any pyro. I'm pretty sure that applies everywhere in America & Canada. I'm sure that some folks here with such training & licences can offer more info.
Dan McLean Jr
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The Rhode Island night club fire pretty much ended indoor pyro effects for all but those who have the required experience to acquire a license to purchase and fire indoor pyro. That license usually granted by your Authority Having Jurisdiction, which could be your Federal, State, or local regulatory body for explosives and/or fire prevention.

I have my "Pyrotechnician" ticket here in Canada which lets me do both indoor and outdoor display pyro, and even though I have it, I rarely permit shows to be fired on my license unless I have FULL control over everything leading up to the effect, during the effect, and right after the effect.

It's just not worth screwing around with pyro these days.....to many lives were lost in Rhode Island and it completely changed the pyro industry for ever.

In the end, that's a good thing.

Don't forget though that flash paper and flash cotton are unregulated and far safer than pyro.
Perhaps you can achieve a great effect using these items.
I've designed quite a few effects that formerly would have used flash pots with Le Maitre or PyroPak products, but now use flash cotton.
Also, you can use CO2 blasts for smoke effects.

When combined they can be made to look quite spectacular!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Flash paper flash pots were what I was referring to earlier.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
That's not correct, there's no additives that you can (legally) put with flash paper or flash cotton that will cause sparks, nor should you even try.
This isn't a mix'n'match excercise, and it's not something that folks who lack the appropriate training and experience should be getting the idea that it's OK to try.

Flash paper and flash cotton don't generate enough heat to cause anything that would cause sparks to ignite. Flash products don't explode, they burn quickly and with very little heat.

There are plenty of additives that you can add to pyro to cause various colors of sparks, but that's what you're NOT able to do without first having your ducks lined up as per my post above.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I've seen some HUGE accidents with pyro since first becoming involved with it, and in those accidents some of the folks got seriously hurt.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Just ask an experienced pyro professional for advice. There are set-ups to make sparks and short flames where you don't really need a pyro-license and they are quite harmless. I don't exactly know the laws and regulations for pyro work on a stage but if you contact an experienced and licensed pyro tech he will give you the best advice.
Sometimes less is more.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Silverking, I believe you, but there was something I bought a few years back that produced some sparks from my small flash pot. It wasn't a huge shower, but there were sparks. I believe it was called "sparkle powder".

Still, seek the advice of a professional.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Amosmc is right, sparkle powder would definitely work in conjunction with that prop. Out of interest, Christian, could you give any more info on what project it is you're working on? We'd understand if you wished not to share, of course. Cheers.

Chris
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Amosmc, when you added the sparkle powder to your flashpots, were you using a pyro mixture in the pot, or flashpaper?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Flash cotton. I know enough about pyro to stay away...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Copperfield's Radio. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL