The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Please Critique my video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
150 Posts

Profile of gamma105
Everyone, if you have some time to waste, please take a look at my video and give me some feedback.
The first half of the routine is by Martin Nash - Vernash aces
My half pass is more like a half pass without the "p".
The get ready for the popout move took too long, awkward silence...

Anything else you guys would like to add, please do so! Thanks!!
Here's the link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdMyXpmfrBw
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
The effect was good. The handling was decent, but, the presentation was kind of wishy washy, which is fine in an impromptu situation, but, you had time to film it, so it should be a good mark to let you know that you need to develop that hook. You had no reason for the aces to be lost or for them to come back out, and moreover, if you wanted to do this it would have not been a bad idea to produce the aces in some fashion to start.

There is a point where you do the pop out move twice, then a face up revelation, then a hot shot cut. It doesn't really flow well from one to the next. There is no 'moments' for these productions. This gets back to presentation, I guess. Like I said, you handling is good enough, but, you need to sell me on the other stuff and why you are doing it.
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
150 Posts

Profile of gamma105
Quote:
On 2007-01-30 14:01, karbonkid wrote:
The effect was good. The handling was decent, but, the presentation was kind of wishy washy, which is fine in an impromptu situation, but, you had time to film it, so it should be a good mark to let you know that you need to develop that hook. You had no reason for the aces to be lost or for them to come back out, and moreover, if you wanted to do this it would have not been a bad idea to produce the aces in some fashion to start.

There is a point where you do the pop out move twice, then a face up revelation, then a hot shot cut. It doesn't really flow well from one to the next. There is no 'moments' for these productions. This gets back to presentation, I guess. Like I said, you handling is good enough, but, you need to sell me on the other stuff and why you are doing it.

thank you for the reply. My presentation was based on:
1. I was doing a 4 ace trick for my friend at the block
2. then 3 guys came over
3. first guy took the deck out of my hands, claimed he's a gambler, and cut to the first ace.
4. second guy did the popout move, because it looks pretty
5. third guy is a street magician, snapped his fingers and the card turns face up.
6. then they asked me what can I do, so I did the hot shot cut.

so those were my reasons to produce the aces. But I will re-eval it, to see if I can make it flow beter Smile
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
The first two aces in my memory we produced in similar fashions, so I apologize, upon a revisit that is not the case, but, funny enough, that is what I remember. Then to get to that point I rewatched the beginning, and I think I figured out what I, personally, don't like, and that is that after the spectators 'lose' the aces, you handle the cards too much. You shuffle. And shuffle again. You shuffle again, and then you cut the cards with a running cut. If you were going to have the spectators 'lose' the aces, it may be in your best interest, for the effect, to not manipulate the cards so much. It would appear, and does, that you are undoing all the work that you so delicately let the spectators do at the beginning to the point that you let them complete all the final cuts.

It's just my opinion, so don't take my word for it. I figured most people wouldn't chime in for you.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The more you do the routine the smoother it will get. On the whole I liked it. The first ace I would just cut to. Nothing flashy, just cut to it. The remainder of the routine can follow as you have it. You might want to give some rationale for your shuffling and cutting after the spectators have "lost" the aces.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
150 Posts

Profile of gamma105
Quote:
On 2007-01-30 15:01, Stanyon wrote:
The more you do the routine the smoother it will get. On the whole I liked it. The first ace I would just cut to. Nothing flashy, just cut to it. The remainder of the routine can follow as you have it. You might want to give some rationale for your shuffling and cutting after the spectators have "lost" the aces.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile

thanks! actually, when I first did the revelation, I did just cut to the first ace..then I started practicing the Benzais cut, and I got addicted to it.. haha
I spoke a bit too fast, because I was trying to explain why I did those 3 shuffles... so it sort of blended in the background instead.. I'll make a note of that. thanks!
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
You already have great advice given here so just a couple of things...

You need a solid reason to give the audience during the cutting (loosing) procedure at the start. For the revelations to have any magical effect people must first grasp that the aces were genuinely lost. The sheer openness of loosing the aces in your handling should be pointed out thoroughly. Don't rush to the revelations as they will get attention enough, you must first take the time to set up an impossible condition in the minds of the audience.

Structure your patter in a way that points out the freedom they have in the allowed cuts, specifically point out that at no point do you touch the cards...this is "totally their doing", you have no influence. This type routine is for an astute audience so really spend sometime working on a presentation that draws them in with meaning. Why are the cards lost only to be found again? Is this a test of your skills? Is this something you witnessed a gambler do? Something you dreamed about?

Hope this helps.
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
mudd
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of mudd
I liked it...

but there were times during your patter that it sounded like you were stumbling around trying to think of what to say next...and I know when I do this during a presentation I'm paying more attention to the cards and the sleights then I am the story....practice enough so you are doing the sleights with out even knowing it...then you can have a lot of fun with the story...but the more you do it the more comfortable you will become...but anyways I liked it...
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
I would move this to a new section called "You Shouldn't Be In Pictures". No offense !!!
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Quote:
On 2007-01-31 00:02, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:
I would move this to a new section called "You Shouldn't Be In Pictures". No offense !!!

Ouch.

I'd stick with the constructive criticism from earlier posts, Gamma.
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
150 Posts

Profile of gamma105
Quote:
On 2007-01-31 01:35, djrdjr wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-31 00:02, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:

Ouch.

I'd stick with the constructive criticism from earlier posts, Gamma.

lol, oh I'm use to the typical youtube immaturity. I just didn't expect to see it in this forum. thanks to everyone who took their time giving me advice!
jimi2040
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
62 Posts

Profile of jimi2040
I think that there wasn't a strong misdirection that could cover your getting ready for the finger break before the undercut and before the ace production. Also when you were attempting for the half pass, it was apparent probably even to a lay person that you were doing something. It would have been nice if this was carried out while moving from one audience to the next after gesturing to them.
wjkrysak
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
152 Posts

Profile of wjkrysak
Nicely done. Check your pacing. Had me worried with your jersey, thought we were in for a 21 card trick <grin>.
Create memories to enjoy the magic of life.
Tread lightly. Give. cheaha bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Please Critique my video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL