The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Transporting Props (And People) In the Rain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Any tips or advice? I'm doing a show tonight, and it's raining pretty hard. I have a few thousand dollars worth of audio equipment, and a sub trunk, to load into a venue. What's the best way to keep things dry? Plastic Bags? And for a show like that, do you normally just bring a spare set up clothes and a towel to dry off?
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'd advise NOT setting up your show while wearing your performance clothes. The idea of taking your pro clothes with you and changing after setting things up would be much better, and safer, just in case something unexpected happens.

Your audio gear should already be stored in travel cases that can withstand brief moments in the rain while being moved from a vehicle to the inside. Obviously, you don't want to let them set out in the rain.

Good luck with your show. Although it's raining...it won't last!

Mark. Smile
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
A lot of venues do not have dressing rooms, so very often I wear my performance clothes when arriving. For some unplanned dirty work I always carry a special overall in my car. It was made for swat teams and can be put over a complete suit because the zippers run from top to bottom.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Recently found butyl lined canvas painter drop cloths at Lowes, only about $10 for 9x12 feet. The butyl side looks like a layer of saran on the fabric, but is pretty tough, and water resists well. The fabric adds a better grip than a blue tarp.
Just a thought.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Also try a blue plastic canvas.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Kevin,

A box of plastic leaf bags are standard equipment for a show on the road. They become everything! They even make great ponchos. They protect car seats, props, people, animals, light & sound equipment and shoes.

Rain, wind and snow are just another day at the office.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
EggMagic
View Profile
New user
Lakeland, Fl
44 Posts

Profile of EggMagic
Tarps and dry cleaning bars were always good choices. Also, if you have an extra pair of hands, have one person waiting at the arrival point with towels to dry things off as they come in. Unless you're having one of our Florida Monsoons, props shouldn;t get too wet from van to stage in most cases, a quick wipe does it.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2007-03-16 13:34, Bob Sanders wrote:

Kevin,

A box of plastic leaf bags are standard equipment for a show on the road. They become everything! They even make great ponchos. They protect car seats, props, people, animals, light & sound equipment and shoes.

Rain, wind and snow are just another day at the office.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Primative but effective.
I never leave the house without a roll of 40gallon leaf bags in the trunk. Even if you are just bringing in your groceries - better to keep the cardboard dry.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
So there you go. From coast to coast, it's in the bag.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I thought in California they would be designer leaf bags! Are they monogramed?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Transporting Props (And People) In the Rain (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL