The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Crazy dove! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hi Guys,

As some of you may know I have two doves, one male and one female. I have had them since june. My male dove Eldon is wonderful I trained him and he picked it up really well. My other dove Shelly, Cannot stand me holding her, she tries to fly away and she makes this weird noise abnd can't wait to get away from me. I have tried for absolutely ages taking it slow and handling her calmly and just holding her but she has not really progressed. They belonged to another magician before I had tehm they were hand reared and hand trained but I was trainig eldon for fly backs. I really don't know what to do with shelly I have tried alsorts of things. Does anybody have ani ideas?

I would really apreciate it,

Best wishes,

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
You could try only feeding her when she is in your hand .. this method will give you the quickest turn around
Good luck
John
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Luke, I never liked the feed from the hand training method but that's just my opinion. Try holding Shelly in the palm of your hand with the fingers holding down the wings on one side and the thumb on the other. Hold her firmly but not tightly. Use your other hand and gently stroke her front head to tail over and over again. Do this for several days and they try holding her without restricting the wings.

There are doves that just cannot be trained and no matter what you do, it won't help. It's just a fact of life.
Where the magic begins
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
Luke,

Dave's Method is a good way to start off..That the Training that I'm using for my babies now... The Noise your talking about.. does it sound like laughing??! Smile

Peace
David
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I am curious about the noise she makes, too. By chance is she a brown dove? White doves are much calmer.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hi Autum Morning star. She is a ring neck dove, they both are. And he is much calmer then her lol.

Hi David. No not when she is out anyway, she makes all the usual dove sounds in her cage with eldon but when I take her out and she starts flying off or trying to she makes a completely different sound. It's hard to describe...kinda of like a grunting sound she doesn't look distressed its just a very very strange noise, and she starts breathing really fast. Try to imagine the noise a hysterical woman would make and it sounds like her. I have had her checked over by the vet and she seemed fine.

Best wishes,

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

Hey Luke,
When you say "ring necked dove" do you mean the "brown/beige colored dove with a black ring" or are they "pure white doves with a faint black ring"? The brown/beige ring necks are tempermental and a bit flighty. The white ring necks are very calm and often can be hand trained in minutes.

Now I know the noise of which you speak! Doves have several air sacks (like lungs) which they use to breathe and coo. The air sac is a very efficient method of breathing. The entire body acts like a bellows to move air through the bird. They have no diaphragm! When she gets a bit winded or stressed this odd honking noise comes out. This sound is a distress call.

I have had this sound happen when my doves fly away during rehearsals and I have to pick them up. They become winded and a bit scared as they are not accustomed to flying. Some are worse than others with the distress call. Others do not make this sound.

Doves can make: The standard mating coo (with bowing), the mating acceptance reply, an egg-laying coo, a nesting coo (with wing flips), a soft moaning coo to encourage the baby in the egg to hatch, a clicking sound, a popping sound, a honking-moaning distress call, and a laughing sound, just to name a few. Baby doves: Peep, squeak, snap, hiss and puff up. So your bird is just responding naturally. No worries! Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Phew thank you Autumn Morning star, I was worried she had something wrong with her.

Yeah they are white with a brown/beige ring round there neck. So what should I do? Just hold her like Dave suggested? Or will she never really wan't to be a performing bird?

Thanks for the replies, It was a weight knowing she isn't ill or something.

Best wishes,

Luke
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

Luke,
You could try holding her like Dave suggested. I would suggest you even hold her while you watch tv. Don't expect her to do anything but sit in your cupped hands listening to your heartbeat. Let her learn to trust you. If you do this daily for 1/2 hour at a time, she may become accustomed to handling. Gradually increase the time, then try getting her to perch on your finger for a bit.

If she continues to be upset and fly off, don't force the issue. This would indicate she is not a good candidate for the show. Love her and accept her for whom she is. Keep her in your dove cote because she is the mate of your male and they mate for life.

Males are always my first choice as performing doves. They always seem calmer, albeit noisier!
Cheers,
Autumn
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Crazy dove! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL