The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Deadly by Randi Rain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
471 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Does anyone out there have this one? It was just released by Hocus Pocus. (www.hocus-pocus.com)I don't have it but I have seen it performed. It is a pretty awesome bit of mentalism. It plays exactly like the ad copy.

I am thinking of getting this but would like a review.

Thanks,

Marc

PS. The quality of the props look amazing!
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
The only reviews that will be so far are from my friends I showed at the magic meeting in Arlington Texas.

But I have a college show this weekend.
I will be doing this trick, and filming it.
So expect a video soon.

Randi
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7402 Posts

Profile of pegasus
This is the effect...

Which Deadly Sin are you? You'll see...

A spectator is asked on stage. A table containing plaques of the seven deadly sins lay behind the magician.

The magician then asks the spectaor to go and choose one of the sins. They can choose any sin and for any reason they wish. Once they have chosen the sin, they are asked to show the plaque to the audience. This is all done behind the magician's back, of course.

The spectator is then asked to step back in front of the magician, as the magician never turns around. The magician then tells the spectator which sin they have chosen and why they had chosen it!

The audience will be in awe, and the effect is DEADLY.
No Stooges
No Forcing
No PreShow
No Planning
No Spectator Queuing
No Helpers
Can be Done Blindfolded
Comes complete with specially constructed platform, plaques, and complete DVD instructions!

Remember, this is a Hocus Pocus Exclusive, which means you'll only find it here, and nowhere else.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2016 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Sounds like a potentially powerful effect.

My question, based on having only the information provided in the blurb: why on earth would you need a specially constructed platform and plaques to do it?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
"why on earth would you need a specially constructed platform and plaques to do it?"

Because it's not real magic, it's a trick.
I'm not trying to be smart, well maybe a little, but really just giving you a hint.

Thanks,
Randi
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2007-01-31 23:11, randirain wrote:
"why on earth would you need a specially constructed platform and plaques to do it?"

Because it's not real magic, it's a trick.

Thanks,
Randi

LOL
That is the best answer I have heard on this website.
Good on ya Randi,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
655 Posts

Profile of oombob
I can achieve this same effect and have the spectator choose from 52 items as opposed to seven.

hmmmm.....
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
I'll say this about Deadly --

I have seen the effect, and it is as advertised.

The plaques are beautifully made, with terrific illustrations of the sins, and are easy for the audience to see from a distance. They allow the spectator to make a selection of a sin and display it to the audiece without making noise that would cue the performer audibly. It is possible to do this effect a number of different and seemingly impossible ways.

The plaques are presented and displayed nicely so that the audience can tell at a glance that they are all identically shaped, and that they are indeed, seven deadly sins. The spectator has a free, unguided choice of sins, the effect may be repeated with different outcomes on a virtually unlimited basis, and if you have any kind of performance/theatrical ability, you will have a nice segment in your show.

And trick or real magic(I have doubts. . . .), a misplaced modifier or two in ad copy are neither rare nor the end of the world.

FWIW,

Pix "pick a sin, any sin" Smith
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
471 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Oombob

You have 52 deadly sins?? Dang, you have problems! jk

Just like all magic a major part of this effect is your patter. Randi has an awesome routine with her patter...just like other effects, how good the trick is a lot of times depends on good patter...I have seen some magicians do a bad trick but the patter is so good they sell the trick. With this one, the effect is awesome and the patter just adds to it. There are so many possiblities with this one.

Randi, LOL...nice response!!

Marc
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Sounds wild. Good idea with the routine. I like stuff like this.
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
471 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
I know these are selling really well...has anyone rec'd theirs yet? Still want a review!

Marc
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Sounds like its how good the props are that is key here.

There are a million different ways I can think of to do the effect and I am not interested in parroting anybody elses patter.

However a prop maker I am not, so this sounds interesting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Deadly by Randi Rain (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL