The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many songs you used at birthday ? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
In my magic show so 18 songs
And have food break another 7 songs.

Dudu
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
25 songs sounds just about right for a birthday party. Smile
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I use 23 clips in my playlist but that also includes 7 preshow clips.

Dan.
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Profile of Dutch illusionist
Why do you all use songs?

- Performing on the music?
- Background music? (so you don't need to look on your watch)
- Pre-show?
- Singing?
- dancing?
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
3 songs is my songs
2 songs - when I need helper.
1 - Scary song for snake trick
1 - Dramatic song for bigger wands
1 - Juggling ball
2 for fantasy magician
1 - Linking ring
2 dancing
1 - Chair

Food break 7 songs Background music
Smarty Pants
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants
27 songs is about right.
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
I have page with name of songs on sound system.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
The only songs in my show are the ones I sing. In my party today I sang a selection of Caribbean songs, two pirate songs, "Is this the way to Amarillo", and "Happy Birthday" (pirate stylee). 27 songs sounds more like a musical than a magic show to me!
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
The only song in my MAGIC show is my singing the Teletubby theme for laughs.

Why do you need music to support your act? - I can imagine it as a attention support. The music might help the children focus on what you are doing and help to maintain control.
But personally I see it as a more of a hindrance. Lugging the machine around and having to adjust the volume for each room. Finding a plug socket and then constantly stopping the machine between songs, it must look bad to the audience.

And it doesn't do anything for the magic, or comedy. It just annoys people because they cannot hear you over the music. It also means you have to work for timing, which is almost impossible when entertaining children, as they often do things unexpected which would move everything out-of-sync.

A couple of songs... maybe. But 27 songs!!! that's not a magic show, and your not interacting with the kids.

Steve
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Actually I was thinking 27 might not be enough..
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!

Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 05:33, ku7uk3 wrote: It just annoys people because they cannot hear you over the music.
Steve

Do you struggle to hear the actors voices over the music during films? The music is at the right volume to be heard.

As for having 'lug' in music etc, my Ipod is really heavy I suppose, and the remote I use for it (about 2 inches in size) is really heavy Smile People don't notice me switching it on or off, the action is so smooth with the flow of the show. what can be wrong with that except making my show sound as well as look more professional.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
D

Did you mean songs - singing?

or did you mean music? Without people singing?
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Heehee, I think actually what was meant was "music tracks", no?
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
I know many children's entertainers, and have seen lots of shows. I've got many videos / DVDs on children's parties, and yet this is the first time ever, that I have heard of any children's entertainer having music during their magic show.

I just can't imagine it being practical. What if your performing in a room with the adults talking at the other end, or at a christening / wedding with other events in the same room. You will be seen as an annoying distraction and would lose tons of repeat work.

An ipod isn't loud enough to play to an entire audience, for that you need at least a 50 watt guitar amp, which would just about do the job. But its an additional prop, which requires plugging in and setting up.

I can see it's strengths, but If not used wisely, as a parent, I would see that as a cop-out from doing serious magic and interacting with the children. Parents expect you to include the children in the magic and join in. If your doing a piece to music, you can't do that.

I guess I'm taken a little of guard, in the fact that I've been doing children's shows for 11 years, and this is the first time I've heard of doing magic show with music for kids.

Do any of you have any footage of your shows? - Want to do a trade for some of mine?

Steve
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 06:26, kimmo wrote:
Actually I was thinking 27 might not be enough..

27 is fine, as long as your talking about per effect. Obviously it would be a nightmare trying to stretch 27 tracks out through the whole show!

George
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Yes of course George, that goes without saying. I'm thinking of trading in my Ipod as it only has 60GB of storage.

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!

Smarty Pants
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants
My Ipod is also getting outdated for the amount of songs I need. How did we ever manage in the old days of CD's?
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Ipods are marvellous things - I used to have to accompany myself on a keyboard while performing tricks with the other hand.

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!

Smarty Pants
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants
Wow Kimmo! How did you work the puppets as well? You must be very talented!
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
I make CD every 2 week - all my songs on 2 CD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many songs you used at birthday ? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL