We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Speaking of Mel Blanc (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Go retro...enjoy!: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/2687/

OR this one, in which it starts out as Mel doing the voices, then they insert what sounds to me like Jeff Bergman doing Bugs between the lines...the difference between Jeff's bugs and Mel's is so obvious that it sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb.

here: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/3774/
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2817 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Maybe it was supposed to be an "800" number first and they had to re-record it at the last minute. I remember thinking that when I first saw this on the "Batman" tape; "How come the voice changed?"
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Disapointing to me, because I used to think Jeff had Mel's Bugs nailed, but now when I hear them side by side, I see that, as they say, only Mel could do bugs right.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2817 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember when Mel died, there was a letter in the paper about how we shouldn't forget that Mel made a living out of making fun of people's speech impediments.

Well, I found a book on animation. (Sorry, don't know the title) that brought up the fact that Mel didn't create Porky Pig, the guy who did Porky back in the 30s actually <had> a stutter. And it turns out he didn't <do> Elmer Fudd, so you can't blame the lisp on him. All they really had on him was pretty much Silvester the Cat.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
He made a living because speech impediments are funny to people who don't have them. Political correctness can not deny what's funny even if it's not supposed to be...

Too bad for sure there is a 250 lb man somwehere with a pronounced lisp...but it still sounds silly which is why it's too bad but still comical. Sorry I'm a product of the WB Toons.

Speech impeds: Bugs=Nasal Daffy=Spitter Tweety=Baby talk etc etc Mel had it down.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Political correctness...they have practically nixed Speedy Gonzalez because of political correctness. One of Mel's best and most challenging voices.

But I think they did some electronic alteration on his actual voice for Speedy. Do you have any knowledge on that, Doug?
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Electronic alteration and prior to electronics pitch control etc on Daffy..Bugs...Porky and a few others..Probably Speedy but I think early Speedy was just Mel unplugged. The problem came later when Mel was doing some of the made for video stuff like Daffy's whatever it was Island etc that they DIDN'T speed up and alter the voices and they sound awful. Mel was no longer able to get the proper pitch naturally and the sound techs had no clue what they were doing.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Tha explains a lot on why some of the voices are practcally IMPOSSIBLE to duplicate. Speedy KILLS my throat...but I can get him very plausible.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2817 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-02-01 19:18, Doug Higley wrote:
He made a living because speech impediments are funny to people who don't have them. Political correctness can not deny what's funny even if it's not supposed to be...

Too bad for sure there is a 250 lb man somwehere with a pronounced lisp...but it still sounds silly which is why it's too bad but still comical. Sorry I'm a product of the WB Toons.

Speech impeds: Bugs=Nasal Daffy=Spitter Tweety=Baby talk etc etc Mel had it down.

Bugs simply has a cross between a Brooklyn and a Bronx accent.
Ducks don't have lips, of course his speech is going to be affected.
Can you see Tweety coming off like Mr. T?

Quote:
On 2007-02-02 06:16, daffydoug wrote:
Tha explains a lot on why some of the voices are practcally IMPOSSIBLE to duplicate. Speedy KILLS my throat...but I can get him very plausible.

I remember w-a-y back in the early 80s. Walter Lantz and his wife were being interviewed by a local news show. It was of course well known that his wife was the voice of Woody Woodpecker, but she admitted that they had to speed up the tape to get the right quality of "manic" in the laugh. During the interview, the reporter mentioned that Woody had always been her favorite and she <loved> the laugh best of all, then she managed to do it, perfectly! Walter even joked that if he decided to do any new cartoons, he'd call her!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
So then exactly WHICH Mel voices were treated with the speed up treatment? Daffy, Speedy, Tweety, the two gophers (or were they chipmunks?) Any others?

He also did a couple leprechauns in one cartoon that were REAL hard to duplicate.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Speaking of Mel Blanc (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL