The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy birthday to me :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4495 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
It's my 16th birthday Smile Yay!

I need a little hlep as well. I'm a hobbiest magician and only do magic when the time is right and when people are bored out of their minds. I need help choosing a magic items. Around 40 or 50 dollars worth (Using rest of the money to help my acne scars)
I was thinking about spider pen but there is a lot of mixed reviews. Any thoughts?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Buy a book - it will be your best investment ever.
Cards never lie
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4495 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Which book would you prefer?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
"The Magic Book," by Harry Lorayne.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I also recommend the book route. Pick one that is older and a classic, one that is often mentioned at the Café. I notice from your post, that you're into the hotter and more popular stuff. Round out your education. Try out many old effects no matter how simplistic or unromantic they seem. You'll be amazed at how powerful the classics are. And you'll fool the pants off of all the guys who bite quarters and stick pens through bills.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic + any volume of Tarbell + a Dover copy of Bobo. You'll probably have change left over. If you can find good used copies, you'll have more change left over... and more than enough magic to last you until you turn 17. Learn magic... don't buy tricks.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Oh...and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

(I totally agree with Michael.)
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Happy Birthday!

Learn how to embalm. Make money in your life.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
THe book depends on what kind of magic you would like to do.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is a good start and good value for money. Providing you a great overview.

If you want to learn card magic - I can recommend Card College or the Royal Road.

If you would like to learn coin magic - Coin Magic from Bobo is a great and affordable start.

Use the search engine for those books to get more information.

Happy Birthday

Andy
Cards never lie
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
If you haven't already, get a couple of dvds, as well. Presentation and showmanship are best taught live and in person with a mentor, and by watching other performers. Most books simply can't do this very well.

But dvds can be very helpful, as long as people look for ideas and concepts of presentation and showmanship rather than copying a well-known performer's style.

Perhaps consider saving some more money, and hire the most experienced magician you can find for a couple of hours to watch you work and point out things you need to work on.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8556 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Sorry, but THE MAGIC BOOK is out of print. Any of my books after that would work great, but unfortunately are over budget. Oh well... HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There are a handfull of used copies of The Magic Book available at Amazon. Most are pushing the budget limits. Supply and demand!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4495 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Thanks guys for your help!
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I will second, or third, the Mark Wilson book, if you bought the tricks individually that are taught in that book, you would spend thousands. Get it - it's how I got started in magic.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4495 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Got mark wilsons book last christmas
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Find a copy of "The Magic Book" on eBay or elsewhere. You will be glad you did.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy birthday to me :) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL