We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wanted feature: Ability to track threads started by others (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I'll be very embarassed if this is already possible and I have simply overlooked it, but it seems to me that one can not subscribe to threads that are started by others?

This is a big problem since I tend to keep at least ten different browser tabs open with various discussions. But after nothing new has happened in one for maybe a week, I need to close it to make room for others. So if something new is posted after a month I may miss it.

Yes, I know that there are so many forums here that one could simply follow a few of them every day, but I really miss the opportunity to track selected threads regardless of forum. For instance all threads into which I have posted something myself.

Several other forums outh there have Firefox extensions that enhances your forum using options. For instance I could imagining having one browser tab or window with all subscribed threads listed as text links below each other. The extension could check each such thread daily for new posts and change the heading of the updated ones to green color or a different icon or whatever.

Isn't there someone here with a huge brain who would be able to toss together such a thing? ANother feature could be the ability to subscribe to keywords. Let's say that you are named mr Smith and that you have written a few books. Every time your name is mentioned or the title of your book is, you get notified directly in your browser. It beats searching since that would just bring up the same old search results again and again.

I'm sure it would just be a different way to query the same (current) database.

Just a thought/suggestion/wish Smile
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Several people have asked in the "I want to see the manager" thread for the ability to "subscribe" to any thread you participate in rather than just those you start.

I think the answer so far(at least the last time I looked) from Steve Brooks is that he will take it into consideration. For now, the red coffe mugs will have to suffice Smile

I'd love the option, and the lack of it is probably my biggest complaint (oh that all my problems were so trivial), but this is still a great place.

As an option, I think there is a way to set up a google search to monitor a thread, but I'm not sure it would function with the Café.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Interesting! Great that others have requested such a feature.

Would be extra cool to have a browser extension for it though. The great thing about that is that it wouldn't require altering the forums in any way in order to add a feature. But it seems that nobody has made one which will let you subscribe to web pages in general to track changes. Most such existing plugins seem to be tailored to specific forums out there. Either that or they are rss based working from feeds.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
Cameron Fisk
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
194 Posts

Profile of Cameron Fisk
Welcome to the internet, now to get more of what we want we need RSS feeds on here.

It has my vote!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
And web-cams with live chat
Cards never lie
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Do we want web cams? I didn't know we did. was I even present at the last strike meeting? Hmmm.

No, I think web cams are slightly unrealistic as an integrated board feature. Would have been useful once in a while though when explaining some finger grip detail without exposing it to every Google user out there.

I did just think of one more thing I would like to see... more information in the e-mails that say that someone has just replyed to your thread... It's just a link with a post number. I may already have that page open in a browser tab. Now I have to either click on the mail link which will give me a double, or refresh every one of my open tabs to find the new post. Should be possible to pull the post name from the database and not just a link.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wanted feature: Ability to track threads started by others (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL