We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Scammers and entertainers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
In spite of the fact that, over the years, I have been aware of some of the practices of scammers trying to get money from unknowing victims (i.e. the Nigerian letter scams, etc.), I am somewhat embarrassed to admit to my fellow members that just the other day, when I received an e-mail through what "appeared" to be my Gigmasters' booking service, (though skeptical) I still responded (... up to a point).

I am posting this thread to warn (and remind) other entertainers of this recent resurgence of scammers pursuing entertainers.

I realize that there have already been several good threads on the Café, specifically about this subject, but I thought that it was still worth reviving the discussion and the warnings.

To read one of these previous, content rich threads, which actually outlines sample types of scam letters in circulation, click on: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

Again, most of you already know much about this scamming technique (otherwise known as "phishing") and would see (or have seen) right through this type of scam in a second...still, for the few that might be vulnerable, please watch out for such scam letters and simply do not respond...period!

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
For more info, check out this site:

http://magic.about.com/od/themagicbusiness/a/lyndel1.htm

Lyndel
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for the link, Lyndel.

You have really documented your communications with the scammer well.

I suppose if a check does arrive in the mail, I should turn it over to the local police.

I would much prefer to rip it up, but I see that it will serve as evidence for building a case, should one be in progress.

Isn't it sad that scammers have no regard for the duress that they put on their victims during their scamming process?

Best regards, and thanks for your efforts to warn others.

Jonthan
Jonathan
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jonathan,
Do you mean when a man who can't communicate in complete sentences offers you thousands of dollars to do a birthday party across the country, and he just has to have you at any price, it ain't because you are so famous? Now you are beginning to sound like my wife.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Hmm...

Dear Al,

Kindly let your wife know that she can book me for your upcoming surprise party (in 2007) as long as she pays the same fee that "John Marsh" was prepared to pay.

I will accept "her" certified check without hesitation.

However, if she moves forward on this, please advise her to sprinkle her written booking request with a multitude of typos and (of course) to misspell her name throughout the letter.

In response, I will send her my full name, address, bank account info, and passwords. Smile

Sincerely,

Jonathan
Jonathan
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2007-02-03 10:32, Al Angello wrote:
Jonathan,
Do you mean when a man who can't communicate in complete sentences offers you thousands of dollars to do a birthday party across the country, and he just has to have you at any price, it ain't because you are so famous? Now you are beginning to sound like my wife.
Al Angello

Al - Watch out! This type of Hubris makes you the perfect mark for a certain type of con artist. They seek smart, well read people who think they all of the scams and hit them with some incredible double bluffs and complex set ups.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Similar to the "dictator`s bank account" scams from Nigeria, there seems to be an organized mind behind those scams. I would not be surprised if they read our mails in order to learn how to perfect their methods and set-ups.

Andy
Cards never lie
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
..."Andy" ???

Hmmm...

I seem to recall that the last certified check I received was signed by a bloke named "Andy" !!!!

Are you one in the same, Andy?!!?
:confused:

Do you live in Nigeria??

If so, then... I'm outta here!!! Smile
Jonathan
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
So, what's the scam behind this one I received today? - Hello Dean,

How is every thing going for you? I hope things are moving along just fine?

I am an amateur magician who lives in Lagos, Nigeria. Thing is, my interest in magic is huge but I am alone over here. I need to be in touch with others of my kind: amateures and professionals alike so that I can share ideas and things. I do have a few improvements on old tricks like Sawing a Woman in Two. It is so very convincing that I am proud of it.

I have tried joining the IBM but so far I have been unable to get through. I know that you are a very busy person so I do not honestly think it fair to ask for your time but if I could be your pupil in magic, I would love that very much. On the other hand, if you could point me in the right direction, say like introduce me to some other person looking out for a student I would be very glad.

Yours in magic,
Pedro O. Wallie

Not that I will be answering, of course.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2452 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Aside from the financial hazard, the likelihood of some illiterate having that kind of money and desperate to hire lil' ol' me reminds me of what my parents would say whenever I was in some lame grade-school play (and they were serious, poor dears): "Maybe some important movie director will see you and want you to be in his movie."
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
There is a reference somewhere on the Café about this (I can't find it at the moment) where one person contacted played the scammer. The person approached actually turned the tables and had the scammer send him $20.00! It is an hilarious read and if you can find the correspondence (it is on line) it is worth the read.

All the best,

Rob
Brady
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
235 Posts

Profile of Brady
Quote:
On 2007-05-24 12:58, impossible man wrote:

I have tried joining the IBM but so far I have been unable to get through.

If he is able to email you, I am sure his email to IBM can get through just fine.

Brady
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Scammers and entertainers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL